So here we go:
three days before day 1: (16/09/2011)
germinated seed popped today with a 5mm tap root on a moist paper towel with a ceramic cup upturned over it. Planted in a jiffy peat cup using Yates seedling mix and left it on the windowsill
19/09/2011 - Day 1 (24/0, Veg) Morning: bone dry soil but a small loop of growth just popped out of the soil while i was sleeping, gave it 2.5mL of aired tap water
Evening: Loop of growth is now roughly 5mm tall but the cotelydons haven't emerged yet. gave another 5mL of water and put an LED desk lamp over the pot and shoot at a distance of 1.5" from the loop
20/09/2011 - Day 2 (24/0, Veg) Morning: still slightly moist, loop now bigger, approximately 7mm tall and the cotelydons are starting to emerge from the soil
Evening: Cotelydons split open, first leaves already showing at approximately 2mm long each just poking out of the gap and the seedling is now mostly upright and about 20mm tall
21/09/2011 - Day 3 (24/0, Veg) Morning: now totally upright, first set of leaves approximately 5mm long each and total plant approx 22mm tall. moved lamp up to a height of 10mm from the leaves as it was nearly touching
Evening: height hasn't seemed to change much during the day but the stem has thickened and the first leaves have opened up a bit more and have grown to nearly 11mm across (5.5mm per leaf)
22/09/2011 - Day 4 (24/0, Veg) Morning: now the seedling is approximately 4mm from the lamp so grew approx 6mm in the last 24 hours. Leaves are now bigger, approx 13mm across. moved the light to about 10mm from leaves again and gave it a thorough watering as it was a little dry.
Evening: Now approximately 7mm from the light, grew 3mm while i was at work. canopy is now approximately 12mm wide and the leaves are very lush and green.
23/09/2011 - Day 5 (24/0, Veg) Morning: needs some water, grew about 2mm overnight, canopy doesn't seem to have changed.
Evening: seems to have reached another 2mm towards the light and the canopy is now approx 15mm across (7.5mm leaf length). could do with some water maybe but i'll leave it to dry overnight, i'm aware of many new growers overwatering, i don't want to be one of them
24/09/2011 - Day 6 (24/0, Veg) Morning: Seems to have grown a little more. also between the two first real leaves i can just see the start of the second set of leaves! Giving it some water as i will be away tonight.
25/09/2011 - Day 7 (24/0, Veg) Afternoon: Just got home, left the lamp approx 10mm above the plant before leaving last night and came in this afternoon to find the leaves pressed against the light. It grew 10mm overnight. the soil is still damp so it doesn't need water but i moved the light up to 1" from the leaves
26/09/2011 - Day 8 (24/0, Veg) Evening: Seedling is now approximately 10mm from the light so unless somebody is playing tricks on me, (which i doubt as i'm the only one here at the moment) it grew nearly 15mm in 24 hours. now it is about 40mm tall. each first leaf is now over 1/2" long with the second set of leaves around 3-4mm long. still hasn't started spacing out between the cotelydon leaves and the first leaves unlike the outdoor plant i have sitting in the soil outside the window. perhaps the light intensity outside isn't as good and maybe the proximity of the light to the indoor one is causing it to bunch up... could this be a problem in the future?
Still only feeding plain aired tap water. won't be watering it tonight. soon i will move it off the desk where it is sitting now and into it's cupboard in the garage. perhaps this will happen at transplant time. thinking of transplanting it at a 45 degree angle to make LST easier. Debating whether to LST or SCROG, thoughts, given the dimensions of my cupboard?
i moved the light to about 15mm above the plant and decided to check the drain hole under the pot; HAHA the tap root has emerged from the hole, transplant may take place tomorrow now.
27/09/2011 - Day 9 (24/0, Veg) Seedling grew a couple more mm last night. Decided it is definitely time to transplant as there are now two roots poking their heads out of the drain hole. made up a mix of Vermiculite and Organic Potting mix in a 50:50 ratio (no science behind this, i just figured 50:50 is a good place to start) and transplanted it much deeper than it was in it's first cup. now the poor thing is only an inch tall but hopefully, the stem that is now in the soil will develop more roots.
the second set of true leaves are now approximatel;y 4-5mm long. i gave it some water to help it settle in to it's new home, just a couple of mL but nevertheless i may not water it tomorrow as the compost seems quite moist out of the bag and it seems good for now.
Not sure when to start nutes. it is still very green as you can finally see in the pictures so i don't think it needs any yet.