650w HPS Indoor: Devilmatic autoflower grow.

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Imhotepsol, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Hey guys.

Started the grow today. I went out and bought 20 Devilmatic seeds. They were recommended to me because they yield well (about 40g p/p) and most importantly finish in as little as 42 days.

I'll be updating this thread with pics and more information in a couple of days (unless you want a pic of a wet tray with 20 seeds on it :/.) As for now I have a lot of work to do in order to get my room set up for these 20 'lil babies.

2. Quick update. 17 out of 20 have sprouted and been planted into paper cups for the first couple of days. Another 2 are cracking but haven't shot out and there's 1 that doesn't look like it's going to do anything. It looks completely different from the other seeds so I'm assuming I may have gotten another strain in there. I'll be marking that one if it ever comes up to see wtf when I harvest.

Grow rooms been cleaned out, my lights should be coming either tonight or tomorrow so I'll be putting up pictures hopefully this week.

3. Pics of the Setup:

This is a ghetto setup consisting of 2 chairs and a broom handle :) It's just a makeshift veg area for the first week of growing.

Lighting: 1x 250w + 1x 125w EcoGrow CFL (just for the start will be changing over to 650 HPS in about a week)

20 paper cups. I finds these work great for the start because when you cut the cups away you have a perfect "plug" with your little root ball to go into the bigger pots.

Anyway onto the pics:

Attached Files:

4. You need to rig your bulb so it's horizontal. You're only getting about 10% of the light from that bulb right now. Do that before you they pop so you dont get 7" of stretch on your babies.

5. Will do mate. My girlfriend and I were trying to figure out a way to get it horizontal tonight, I'm kinda stuck with it like this until I get the proper reflector / mount for it, unless you have some mad McGyver solution I can use until then :)

6. Just get some tie rope and tie it around the actual bulb. I know it sounds dangerous as fuck, but it's not gonna get to it's igniting point to light it on fire. Just make sure it's rope that isn't polyester shit.

7. As per advise I've ghetto rigged the light horizontally using a crutch from when I fubared my knee.

I've also raised the trays about 12" to get them closer to the light.

Attached Files:

8. I love how assured season growers are :) "Just rope that bitch up", I'm hesitant to even touch them at this point for fear of screwing it up. I hope by the end of this I'm half as confident as you my friend.

9. Oh yeah man. you're gonna need something that can tell you your temp. Those cfls can get to about 2" from the plant as long as you have air moving over the bulb/plant.

10. I have a digital temp monitor so I'll be using that. I also have a brand new rotating fan I picked up for nothing in the winter sales so I'll be installing that into the room once they get their heads above soil :)

As I was saying I'm only going to be using the CFLs for about a week or so then it's straight under the 650w HPS for the whole cycle. These should start flowering from a week after sprouting so they're basically flowering for their whole lives.

I'm going to keep the CFL room going because I have some LSD and Lambs Bread seeds I want to veg throughout this entire grow to put into flower after this crops finished.

I'm reasoning it's better having too much weed than too little :)

11. FANTASTIC IDEA. If you're really gonna let them veg all the way until your autos are done you're gonna have some massive LB and LSD. And I will be checking back for that Lambsbread

12. That was my thinking on the matter. The LSD I'm not too worried about but I'm very careful with the lambs bread as it's not an easy strain to get your hands on. I literally had to beg someone over in Czech who was growing it to give me the seeds.

13. Okay so 1.5 weeks since my last update. There's been a lot of head aches, it seems like every day comes complete with a new set of challenges. But this, as I'm learning, is part of the joys of growing.

So. I've set up the room and installed the 600w HPS with a temporary reflector I had laying about. I intend to use it until I get my Flexi-Wing next week :) Earlier I mapped out the light distribution and arranged the plants around that. Hence they've ended up looking like they should be on a pool table.

I've enclosed a few pictures of where I was at earlier on in the week. The plants were potted in some cheap watering cans we found in a hardware shop to prevent them becoming root bound in paper cups. Now they're mostly all in 15L pots.

All in all I was expecting them to grow quickly but these are growing even faster than I anticipated. This is day 1 under the HPS. The plants themselves broke soil with their first set of leaves, Monday, one week ago.

Enjoy the plant pr0n.

Attached Files:

14. Moar pics.

There's a couple of mutants in there I thought I'd throw in for you as well. Don't know if any one else has ever seen anything like that.

Attached Files:

15. 4 days later:

I didn't expect some of them to start growing this much in a couple of days. The room already smells :devious:

I lost the runt pictured above so now I'm down to 16. The rest are pretty healthy. A couple of them have rolled their leaves up because the fan was on too high. I've put it back farther from the plants and they're responding already. Aside from that, there were a couple of yellow spots on the babies which turned out to be bleaching where the water was left on the leaf. No more signs of that in the new growth, it looks very green and lush under natural light.

Anyway onto the pics:

Attached Files:

16. Update: Day 14 under HPS.

Light Schedule: 24 / 0
    Nutrients: None.
    Feeding: Plain tap water, once every 2 days.
    Grow rooms smell: Smells like a mixture of lemon, skunk and haze. Nice smell. I've been managing it with an oil burner and Orange essential oil. I didn't really think this would work, but it was mentioned to me by a friend in the know and I'm going to be trying out a number of solutions for odour control in this thread.

I left the oil burner in the bedroom outside of the bathroom. After an hour there was a minor improvement. After 1.5 hours I had my g/f (a non-smoker) go into the room, both her and I could only smell orange no weed smell, even in the grow room. The orange smell wasn't overpowering, it just covered the smell while it was burning. It's not a long term fix but I'll definitely be keeping some on hand for downstairs if I have company over. One of these downstairs should keep any wandering smells upstairs.

Next I'll be trying the infamous ONA bucket.

Info: There's been a lot of growth during the last 3 weeks. The plants are roughly doubling in size every 4 days now. Sorry about the lack of updates my cameras been on the fritz. I have to say I'm very impressed with these autos, the main one with loads of growth looks like it's going to turn into a 2.5 - 3o plant easily. There's another couple of ones that also look like they may turn into monsters.

Enjoy the pics.

Attached Files:

17. Pics ctd:

Attached Files:

18. Last pics:

Attached Files:

19. Nice autos you got there Blade!! Happy growing.

20. ya man those autos grow quick. ive grown autos before but these seem to be outpacing anything ive seen. when did your first pistols appear?