ODP's Second Grow - Big Bud & the unknown plants

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by OldDudeInPain, Jul 30, 2011.

1. #1 OldDudeInPain, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2011
    Hi

I'm Old Dude In Pain ( ODP ). This journal will be for my second grow. First is linked below.

http://forum.grasscity.com/sick-plants-problems/822722-health-check-first-grow-babies.html

Specifics are as follows.

10 Big Bud Seeds & 20 free seeds from the same seed bank ( Unknown Strains ). Roots soil. 600w HPS. Tent. 4 Bulb FL Tube setup for babies.

Assisting me is my cute blonde wife ( Suggest anyone growing plants aquire one of these ). :)

Put 16 seeds in a germination plate on wed. Today 12 had germinated. 6 Big Bud and 6 of the unknown plants. 4 Big Bud seeds are still in the plates. I believe from the way the Big Bud seeds are germinating the seeds are old ( they are acting the way the old bag seeds I have did by germinating and growing slow with tiny root tips peeking out ). The unknown seeds are on some kind of steroids and all 6 had inch long roots poping out after 2 days.

Roots soil was preprepared by adding Dolomite Lime to the soil ( 1 tsp per gallon ). The roots soil is organic and has a very low PH ( water coming out will be ph 5 if you do not adjust the soil ). You have been warned if you are using it. It packs a punch.

12 germinated seeds were planted in 18oz cups full of soil. Now we will see what pops up over the next few days.

Thanks for stopping by

ODP

Attached Files:

• Pic1.jpg
      Pic1.jpg
      File size:
      684.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Cool... will be watching this one as well

HR

3. I'm joining in on this grow as well :)

By the way, maybe you should link to your first grow in this thread - I'm betting that a lot of people can learn from it.

4. I love that roots coco based soil. Will never go back to ocean forest again. What knid of nutes will you be using?

5. Im useing the roots organics soil Al. I may add in some coco and perlite when I do my first transplant to mellow the soil out a bit. As far as nutes go the soil has plenty to last though the veg cycle. After that i'm not sure yet. I'm currently researching what I want to try for this grow.

Update for today... Planted seeds yesterday and I already have tiny babies with 2 leafs. those seeds are on steroids lol. The other 4 big Bud seeds also germinated last night and were planted. So all the amsterdam seeds have germinated. :) this is a huge difference from the bag seed lol.

ODP

6. I hope these seeds will give you a smoother ride this time around :D

7. I'm in. My next grow will be Big Bud, looking forward to following yours and gleaning tips.

8. If you go with the roots nutrients too make sure you get the whole line also get yourself some hygrozyme, it really works wonders, especially with organic nutes. I used the whole organic line of roots nutrients buddha grow and bloom, trinity, hp, hpk, ancient amber, and 1 non organic product which was big swell. Pulled almost 3 oz off one plant of bag seed. Was impressed. I would also like to run a comparison grow with gen organics vs. roots. Se what gets me the best tasting and biggest yield

9. I may try the Gen Organics this time around. With the roots soil I found no need to add stuff during Veg. The soil itself took care of the plants that first month and a half. Pretty potent stuff. hygrozyme sounds like an interesting product ( Did a quick web check ) and will check into it.

ODP

10. Snagged from another site. Thanks go to BayArea the poster. looks great Al. :)

Hygrozyme

"After years of successfull growing I recently decided to post some info about my "secret weapon" in the grow room - Hygrozyme. As I'm sure your all computer savy I won't post some article about it's benefits but try and explain the real results I've had using it over the years. Breifly explained however, Hygrozyme is an enzymatic formula used in addition to some of your regular feeding programs. It was developed by a company named Sipco, a bio-tech company specializing in non-toxic bateria-free enzyme cleaning solutions. After years of research they developed this solution. It is an enzymatic solution loaded w/ complex chains of amino acids. In saying that, heres what results I've found and how I got them.

I've always leaned to organics when growing Marijuana, and have found not only better production but also higher quality smoke when using them. I'm a commercial grower and constantly look for the edge or the more effecient way to produce quality product. Some time ago I did some head to head research regarding various organic and chemical blend nute applications. Botanicare, Earthjuice, Foxfarm, Neptunes harvest, Alaskan Fish Fert, Dyna-gro and more recently General Organics were some of the names involved. I also used additives on some plants within my tests. Things like Mega-gro, Green-fuse and Hygrozyme. Every detail was documented. Things like color, general health, plant wieght, overall potency, hieght etc were measured and recorded. Even foliage weight to determine which products produced more bud to leaf ratio was written down. The nute results are meant for another thread but the benefits of Hygrozyme were the most apparent detail within the entire test. I used the same Pro-mix medium in 5 gallon pots for all plants of the same genetic mother. Out of 2 cycles of 4 different nute programs, and 96 plants, the tallest most productive of each program contained Hygrozyme. Not merely the tallest, biggest producers but the quality and health was better also. This was mostly the case with strictly organic nutes. Earthjuice in particular was effected positively. The plants simply used the nutes more effectively, in fact, the largest plants required less over-all food as the Hygrozyme asisted in breaking the organic material and increased the speed chemical reactions occured within the substrate. Root health appeared more vigorus on these plants as well, one beautiful thing about Hygrozyme is your ppm count will not rise with use, it has virtually no effect on ph. Literally with more available to them the plants just thrived. When flowering the results are most apparent. The stigma growth was twice the size, and plants required stakes much earlier and buds were far more swollen and dence. Crystalization was increased 2 fold. Again, the Hygrozyme simply made the bloom nutes more available and the plant used them more effectively and again, less of them. As mentioned earlier I used pro-mix so no nutes were in the medium. My mother plants however, are grown in actual organic soil, a 50/50 mix Black gold Sunshine mix #4 and Flower power with some dolomite. I simply add ph balenced water with Hygrozyme and they show vigorous growth - infact after 2 months each "mother" churns out 30+ clones with no added nutes ever in 7 gallon buckets besides whats available in the soil weekly.

Hygrozyme, when applied properly produced an avg. 2.74 oz per plant vs. 2.20 oz with-out. Plants were an avg. of 5.8 inches taller, and 5.7 inches wider in dia., stalk width was 1/3 wider and plants were over-all heavier. These are just some actual #s I recorded, and results were the same regardless of nutes I added besides the chem blends. Although I'm pro-organic, the chems did not benefit significantly. Because of it's ability to help break organic material, organics obviously works fantastic with this additive. The medium remains clean, bacteria free and loaded with available nutes.

As far as application rates it really depends on substrate, nutes and strain. Broadly recommended in an 11 week cycle or so. I'd begin with 2.5 mil through-out week 1 and 2 (week 1 being a rooted clone stage). Week 3 to 4 (veg stage) I would increase to 5 ml. Flowering weeks 5 to 7 I'd increase from 7 to 10 mil and week 8 should decrease back to 5ml. Weeks 9 to 11 should get very little to none. Later use of Hygrozyme in flowering cycles makes residual nirogen available and can extend flowering times so be cautious. It's pricey but truely worth the investment. I can't recommend it enough. Let me know if you have some questions. I'll try and post some pics soon of comparisons grows. Thanks "

ODP

11. First Baby Pics... :) These guys are growing/germinating much faster than the bag seeds. 15 out of 16 have sprouted.

Thanks
    ODP

Attached Files:

12. HAHAHA I was gonna send you that exact link off another forum thc farmer. Yeah this guy did it right.
    I also read an article where the guy tested hygrozyme vs. cannazym. canna zym apparently dissolved a piece of paper within an hour, yet it has no adverse effects on the roots. But I understand the idea of breaking down insoluble nutrients.

Canna is a pain in the ass to deal with. I work in the hydroponics industry, and they will not distribute to my store stating that I must be open for a couple years before I am worthy to distribute their product. Good news is that we now have House and Garden formulated by the same scientist that formulated canna. Lets keep our eyes open for an enzyme formula. FYI Humboldt nutes are formulated by the same guy that formulated Advanced Nutrients.

13. Quick Update... Last plant that did not sprout was checked by slowly moving dirt off the top till I saw the seed top. The seedling was going the wrong direction lol. looked like the roots were pulling him down into the soil further. left the seedling with the seed top exposed a bit and will see what happens. Also did a couple of drops of water on top of him to kick start him.

ODP

14. Haha :D In the future you might want to germinate your seeds in wool cubes. I use these from Grodan:
    [​IMG]

15. #16 chaoxheart49, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    The only problem with those is I had a hard problem separating the roots after I cloned or germinated in them (which is incredible easy with these Grodan Cubes) . I ripped a few roots apart in the process so I decided to let an entire plant grow in one and buried with the soil. It did fine for awhile but a month passed and the cube had completely choked the roots and base of the plant. It was a sad day because it was one of my favorites lol

16. Rockwool is a pain in the ass with pH-ing. I now use coco. Has virtually eliminated damping off. Almost impossible to over water. Rockwool also irritates my skin and take about as long as glass to breakdown and biodegrade

17. Quick update... 15 plants are up and doing great. Number 16 I think is a goner. Will give it a bit more and see how it does. So 9 Big Bud and 6 Unknown plants.

Also... how soon can I start treating for gnats? I know the soil has them and I dont want a repeat out break like my first grow.

Thanks

ODP

18. Are you guys sure you're using the real thing? Grodan isn't actually "rock"wool, it's another composite which is very much suited for plant growth and they practically melt when you bury them in your soil. I buy the smallest cubes (I think they're 4x4cm) and all I do is plant my seed and water them with pH'ed water. I've never had a seedling die on me this way.

Incase you've been using just normal rockwool (used for buildings and such) then yes - everything you plant in them should die :D

19. get some neem oil and treat them now. and throughout their life