Northern Lights / Scrog / CFL & HPS / Soil Grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Atmo, Apr 18, 2011.

1. #1 Atmo, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2011
    Strain: Northern Lights (feminized)
    Growing Medium: 1pt Perlite (coarse) + 3pt Fox Farms Ocean Forest.
    Nutrients: Fox Farm Trio (Grow Big, Big Bloom, Tiger Bloom). For later.
    Lights: 8x 26w CFL (6500k) for Veg (208 actual watt total). 150w HPS + 2x 125w CFL (2700k) for Flower.
    Grow Box: 2' x 1.5' x 3' - check out the making of...
    This is my first grow(well, I started a bagseed grow, but I don't want to talk about that one ;)) I plan on growing one Northern Lights strain in this box and am going to scrog her. Only growing one plant for now so I can focus on the basics and see how everything goes.

DAY A (4.16.11)
    Started germinating a seed (1 out of 5), using wet paper towel method.

DAY B (4.17.11)
    Germinating...

DAY C (4.18.11)
    Seed popped, planted in a 14oz styrofoam cup in a soil mix of 1 part coarse Perlite and 3 parts of Fox Farm Ocean Forest.

So far so good. Just wanted to start this thread so I can get right into posting pics when she sprouts :) I'm feeling good about this grow!

Peace.

2. Good luck with your grow!! NL is my absolute favorite & great for scrog....

3. Thanks, I actually got the Northern Lights for those reasons (short height, ease of LST, good for beginners) - pretty excited about it.

DAY 1 (4.20.11)
    Seed has breached the soil. On 4/20 :) A bit poetic if you ask me.
    Just barely poking through the soil. I actually saw one or two little tiny white bugs, but I believe they are soil mites which is a huge relief.

DAY 2 (4.21.11)
    [​IMG]

Figured I would take a birthday photo :p - those two pics were only a few hours apart, too. The first one was taken last night and the second this morning. Seems to be growing faster than that bagseed I started with :p

4. Subbed...again haha. Let us know if you're gonna delete this one and start over again man!

5. Haha yeah, sorry about that. After I made a few mistakes with the bagseed I decided to just scrap it and start a real grow :p

Here she is today, seems to be growing pretty fast so far :)

DAY 3 (4.22.11)
    [​IMG]

She is under the lights now, just the 208w of CFLs. I swapped my original 8-light-fixture for 2x 4-light fixtures. The lights are a bit further apart right now, but I think it'll be easier to get them closer as she gets bigger (I can make a sort of tepee above the plant if that makes sense)

Here's a quick shot of my setup. I know it looks pretty messy in there. All those chains look disorganized and whatnot, but oh well..
    [​IMG]

Those big CFLs are the 125w 2700k ones, but haven't turned them on yet. Not sure if I'll use them in veg or not yet. Maybe when she's older. As you can see I'm a big fan of PVC :)

Anyway, so far so good, I'm feeling good about this grow!

6. DAY 6 (4.25.11)
    So far so good. My temps could be a bit lower, currently at about 84..
    She's looking pretty good, though

[​IMG]

However, there seems to be a tiny yellowish spot on the tip of one of her cotyledons... should I be worried?

[​IMG]

Not sure if it's the temps or what. I know I waited until yesterday (day 5) to water her at all, because last time I think I overwatered and I do not want to make that mistake again!

Any ideas or suggestions?
    Thanks!

7. I believe FFOF has been known to cause a bit of nute burn on seedlings. I wouldnt worry about it too much...it should clear up once she grows a bit more.

8. Thanks man. Yeah I thought about that, too. My last seed (the bagseed) seemed fine during the seedling stage, but it's not the same strain or anything. Plus I diluted this with perlite (1pt Perlite 3pt FFOF) so I was hoping it wouldn't be as hot.
    Hopefully that's all it is, I mean, it's only day 6 so, I haven't really had a chance to screw anything up too bad yet, haha. I should be able to get my temps down to 80 later today hopefully. Right now, since I took out my exhaust fan from the inside of the box and put it on the outside, the exhaust and intake holes are on the same side, so I don't think it's circulating all the air at all. I'm gonna run some ducting from the exhaust inside to the other side of the box, hopefully that will help, but It's gonna take out some height, so.. not sure what else I can do other than patching the intake holes and drilling new ones on the other side (totally don't want to do that)

Anyway thanks dude, I'll let her do her thing and see how it goes :)

9. #9 Atmo, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2011
    Ok, so the temps were higher than I thought (about 87-89F). I actually just bumped my Soler & Palau fan up to the max speed, took out the 2 125w CFLs (for better airflow) and even took out 4x 26w CFLs! My temps are still about 82-83. I have my exhaust fan pulling from RIGHT above my lights and have 2 computer fans blowing at the lights/sprout (general direction from the bottom of the box).

I know 82 isn't horrible, but it's only going to go up from here I assume..

Not sure what else I can do to get temps down... Kind of at a loss here... not sure why 4 26w CFLs with plenty of ventilation is running over 80 degrees.

I think the yellow spot might be from high temps but I'm not sure. This is gonna be bugging me now.. I'm sure it's because it's getting warmer out, too.. but still.. hmm

10. Had the same problem man. The exhaust on mine was on the same side as the passive intake vents i installed. I could literally feel the air circulating around the back wall of the cab. I had to install a computer fan to force air into it via one of the vents and seal off the other completely. As long as room temp stays at 77 or below, my cab temp at plant level is lower than 85. Usually 78-82. Another problem I've run into is very low humidity levels relative to actual humidity, usually 25-35%. I don't know what the heck is going on there. the soil is wet, I put a tub of water to help and its always around the same. Lately its been raining constantly so its been around 50% but thats about as high as its gotten. Maybe when the plant gets bigger and perspires more, it'll go up.

I diluted my soil as well with Perlite and Peat moss and definitely didn't over water and got a similar brown spot on mine. I think heat was the issue as well. I let it get up over 90 for a couple days that first weeks before it was fixed.

11. DAY 8 (4.27.11)
    How is she looking?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kind of nervous about the light-green coloration on the leaves, and how they don't seem flat, but I'm not sure if this is just how Northern Lights grows?

Is this looking alright so far?

12. Lookin pretty good man the yellow on the smallest leafs is normal as it grows they will eventually fall off.

13. Looking good so far, just my opinion but she looks a little dry, but i cant stick my finger in the soil and check for sure.

14. #14 Atmo, May 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2011
    So I changed my light fixtures again. I'm finally satisfied with this one, haha. All the lights are closer together and there is a built in fan in the center that draws the hot air up. Check it out.

[​IMG]

And here she is today:

DAY 11 (4.30.11)
    [​IMG]

There are some strange bump sort of things at the ends of the leaves, but otherwise I think she's looking good :)

15. New rig look awesome, I might hafta copy it for a small one plant veg chamber.

16. #16 Atmo, May 1, 2011
    SoCal, thanks, feel free to copy the design :p

17. nice grow, what are your temps like?

are you planning on transplanting in the next few days?

18. #18 Atmo, May 1, 2011
    Thanks :) I've been working to get the temps down lower, but they've been high 70's, low 80's. Will probably transplant soon, yeah.

19. Temps in the high 70's are fine, just keep it under 85. And make sure those lower fans are kinda blowing on your girl, always get the fans to make your girl dance alittle, it makes for a good strong stem. :smoke:

20. DAY 14 (5.3.11)
    [​IMG]

Transplanted yesterday.

Bottom leaves are getting yellow and brown spots on them, and some of the leaves are curling up a bit. Kinda worried. Hoping it's not heat stress, but I think it's on the verge of 85 degrees at the top of the plant, gonna try some other things to get the temps down soon.

The new growth looks fine, but the first set of leaves (the one's with a single blade, that grew out with the cotyledons) are looking rough, and the tips of the next set of leaves are kinda wonky looking.

Any ideas?