400w, DWC, Lemon Skunk, Scrog

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Ponsrow, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Well the title pretty well says it all. I'm running two DNA Lemon Skunks in rumples bubble buckets under a 400watt Lumi. My ballast is switchable between 400 and 600 but I'm not able to run a 600 until I've got better temperature control. I've started my seedlings in my small seedling cab under 4, 23watt CFL's with my homemade air cooled hood. Once large enough they will move to the larger 400watt cab which is currently occupied by two White Widows by Nirvana. Beans were germed on the 25th and looking strong so far!

I hope you all enjoy the show and would love for y'all to come along for the ride.

Attached Files:

2. 24 hours later

Attached Files:

3. Alright, this is where my girls are at thus far. Looking pretty decent if I do say so myself. 16 days since the germed seeds were planted in rockwool. Temps have been holding steady at about 82 and humidity has been pretty low at around 35 - 40. I had a humidifier in the cab for a bit but found that the temps got waaaaay too outta hand, so they'll just have to deal with some dry air.

Also in the last two pictures I took a shot of this unusual rust like spotting beginning to appear. From what I've read it seems to be a Mag deficiency but I'd love for someone else' opinion. My PH is steady at 5.8 and they are currently being fed a PPM of 250 @ .7 conversion. Since my last res change (4 days ago) the PPM has rises by 20, so I've started topping off with a slightly diluted mix.

Ignore the brown dried up tip. I believe this to be a genetic issue with this strain because it appeared on both plants, only on one leaf, about 5 days after breaking the surface. They had not even been fed any nutes before this symptom arose. Very unusual.

Enjoy

Attached Files:

4. I didn't know you were runnin a journal... I'm sub'd

5. Right on! Thanks for being the first my man. You've motivated me to keep updating. I'll hit you with a new one tomorrow evening, they sure have taken off since the last update.

6. Lookin forward to it brotha!

7. the temp. raising from humidifier is prob. due to the heat from the mechanics of the machine. if you can funnel it from outside of the cab, you'll be better off. ip burn is an indicator of too hot of a ppm. instead of topping off with a ferted mix, try plain ph'd water.

8. Haha love the use of agate drains for net cups! I love using them to make micro cab filters for my patients. They work great and pretty cheap. Dont worry so much about the one bladed leaves and baby ones. Mine tend to yellow and die off after the 3rd or 4th node. Might be a good sign to at least back off the nutes a tad.

I didnt notice if you have a circulation fan inside the box, but you can put a cup or bowl of water in front of the fan, it will circulate cool humidity in the box.

Looking good so far :D

9. Thanks for the advice GrowBot, I like the idea of keeping the humidifier outside the cab and venting it in. Perhaps I'll get around to rigging something up this weekend. As for the lower leaves, those spots starting appearing before i began feeding them any nutes. In fact since starting them with their feeding schedule the spotting has come to a complete halt! Problem solved I guess.

Well now's a good time to give you all an update on everything. The ladies are being fed about 300 ppm's worth of nutes and taking it very well. They will be moved into the larger cab either tomorrow or the following day since my previous crop has been chopped and is now curing up nicely in their jars. Although my temps have been remaining fairly steady at about 82 I have been opening the window slightly and noticed the temperature has dropped to a very pleasing 77 lights on and 69 lights off... you really can't ask for anything better.

Attached Files:

10. Also here are a couple shots of what I spent the majority of last weekend working on.

Attached Files:

11. Nice big thick leaves! Lookin good!

12. Why Thank you! I can't wait to get them under the HID and just watch them explode!!!

13. For sure! What nutes you using?

14. House and Garden A&B with the drip clean. First week they were given nothing but RO water, then I began a light feeding schedule of 300ppms A&B with drip clean, and tomorrow they are going into the 5 gallon buckets in the larger cab with a mix of A&B 600ppm with drip clean and MultiZen. All my readings are taken at .7 conversion on my Henna tri-meter.

15. #15 Ponsrow, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2011
    Hey ho er-body! Well two days ago i transplanted my ladies down into the larger cab under the HID and I've been having some issues ever since. My girls are extremely droopy! From my readings I've discovered it can be anything from over/under watering, a lockout of some sort, or even the cold temps they experienced one night. In my opinion I believe it was the shock of the move. They went from 100watts of floro's to a 400 HID, i bumped their nutes up to 600ppm from their previous 300, plus I've got much better control of res temps in the main cab meaning my water is fairly cool compared to what they had before.

So I closed the window and started running my small AC unit, for better control over my temps. I drained half of the res and topped up with RO water, diluting their nutes. I also raised the light slightly and lowered the fan, giving the ladies some fresh air. This morning they look like they are starting to come to, so all i can do is wait it out.

I will continue to research potential issues/remedies but if any of you have any thoughts to what it may be, please feel more then welcome to share your knowledge.

Attached Files:

16. Yeah they do look a bit droopy! Wish I could help you out! Hopefully Pentax has an answer for ya!

17. I'm keeping my figures crossed

18. Heya Pons, you are absolutely correct. All those symptoms are possibly adding to the cause. Seeing you the same airpump I have, 2 5gals would be bubbling like crazy. So its not underwatering (Dissolved Oxygen and nutrients are rich), but overwatering has to with limited space for the DO/roots to effectively uptake the source. In other words 'drowning' the roots. The water level should always be under the net cup, esp if you have crazy bubbles. Maybe even less. In my typical 5gal dwcs, there is maybe 3 gals of water maximum! Looks like half filled without the plant roots.

Lock out is a possibility from changing to one res to next, and lighting change. I think you got it with all the preventative measures you are taking. The girl should spring back with some vigor to catch up. Time will heal, esp when you help mend the wound :smoke:

19. Excellent! Thanks Pentax. My water level is currently sitting about an 1" below the net pots, simply because the root mass is not yet long enough for me to lower the water much more. If i were to the majority of the roots would be hanging in the air above the water. It might not be too bad considering how much splashing goes on down there, but I think I'll keep them the way they are right now and see how they do over the next couple of days.

20. After some further investigation today I've noticed that the leaves are very slowly starting to spring back. Nothing wild but they are certainly not as droopy as they once were. Though almost all signs point to stress from the transplant I am now beginning to think I might have a deficiency... but in what, I can't exactly pin point. They have some of the tell tale signs of a Nitrogen deficiency with purple/reddish colored stems and some mild chlorosis of the younger leaves. But Nitrogen is a mobile element meaning symptoms should be first seen in the lower leaves, which is not the case. Despite all the foolish issues I seem to be having they are still growing very well, in fact i had to put my screen in today because of the increase in growth. So i won't let any of this bother me until i see some major issues.