The Fridge #3

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by ghunter, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Hey guys, just wanted to share what some experience (learned from here) and a seriously controlled environment (the fridge in sig) can produce :)

Here we are on day 30 from breaking the soil surface:
    [​IMG]

And a view of the whole rig:
    [​IMG]

An AK48 is on the left and a Kaya Gold if on the right. Here are they same strains I grew on my first try. I want to see how much better I can do now:
    [​IMG]

For comparison, here is a picture of day 30 from my FIRST grow :) :
    [​IMG]

And now, I need to add my screen:
    [​IMG]

The rig in short:
    FFOS
    Grow Big nutes from FF
    3 gallon Buckets
    1 90W UFO from HTG +
    4 26W CFL 6500K temp for Veg
    Avg temp 75-80 running 24-7

:)

Attached Files:

• 59.jpg
      59.jpg
      File size:
      125 KB
      Views:
    • 60.jpg
      60.jpg
      File size:
      156.3 KB
      Views:
    • 61.jpg
      61.jpg
      File size:
      167.2 KB
      Views:
    • 62.jpg
      62.jpg
      File size:
      164.6 KB
      Views:
  2. hey I am interested in your setup and interested in seeing how it turns out

also... how much lighting you got in there and how much did it run you?

3. I have
    1 90W UFO LED from HTG +
    4 26W CFL 6500K temp for Veg

For flowering in a week or so I will swap out the 6500K CFL's for 2700K
    My first two grows yielded 2 and 2 1/2 oz per plant respectively and I am shooting for 3 oz per plant this time.

4. hell yeah ghunter! im glad to see you up and runnin again. srry to say i have left the fridge legacy in your hands... i upgraded back to a 400w in a tent i baught( i know i could made a cab easy but i was feeelin extra lazy the week i decided to upgrade.)

any ways....good luck once again...and ill be poppin in to see whats good every once and a while

5. Hey best, good to hear from you again! As you can see I have the fridge dialed in pretty good now :) I guess the next step will be to build another fridge expressly with an HPS and cooltube in the plans so see how I can improve. Frankly though, I am pretty pleased with my results so far from the LED and CFL's.

6. i wasnt too upset with the LED. just i need to feed about a 2 gram a day habit between my wife and i. pullin 1-1.5 oz a month perpetually just wasnt cuttin it for me. and i aint about to fuck around with HID in a fridge....i'll leave that endavour to more crafty individuals such as yourself.

yeah you def got that fridge dialed in pretty good.... i had to keep my abient temps SO low to keep heat in an acceptable range inside...seems like you got that nailed in pretty good....def keep that kaya around for when you start playing with HID in a fridge...little more heat tolerance for ya

7. whats the point of that like screen? i never can understand that,although i am a noob at growing..but wouldnt that like stunt growth?

8. the plant will grow through the screen and once all the bud sites appear when you switch to flowering. You tuck them all back under the screen. The point is to make the most even canopy you can create to allow equal light to all bud sites

9. you have a nice little set up my friend

10. ooooh

11. Ok, 46 days since my ladies broke the soil surface. It's time to switch to 12/12! I don't know why the growth on the AK48 is stunted (it's been this way the whole time, a little retarded) but I can't wait any longer since the Kaya Gold is going crazy on the right.

Here is a view of the whole thing prior to flipping to 12/12:

[​IMG]

Here is the Kaya Gold. I am counting 32 bud sites and 12 true "tops". This is the result of topping twice and supercropping as needed. To the admitted noob, this is what the screen is for! It allows me to put the bud sites exactly where I want them for the best light absorption.

[​IMG]

Now onto the AK48. She has grown somewhat screwed up from the start. The seedling nodes were incredibly close even though I tried to induce stretching. All the new growth come in twisted and gnarly. The new growth eventually grows out but the whole plant is incredibly bushy. I have 19 apparent bud sites but the plant is so compact I have no clue now many tops I have.

[​IMG]

I choose to slowly lollipop (remove lower leaves) my plants starting about a week after flipping so in future updates you will easily see what the topping and supercropping have done to my two plants. Or at least one of them. I am curious as hell to see the inner branches of the AK48 myself, it is so thick in there I can't even feel around, let alone look around. I am estimating that the main stems of both are at least 3/4" thick.

Wish me luck! I am shooting for 2.5 oz per plant but I am not so sure now due the the screwed up growth on the AK48. I am still hopeful though since I am watching PH more closely this time and using a bit more nutes since I know the PH better.

Attached Files:

• 63.jpg
      63.jpg
      File size:
      416.4 KB
      Views:
    • 64.jpg
      64.jpg
      File size:
      484.4 KB
      Views:
    • 65.jpg
      65.jpg
      File size:
      469.1 KB
      Views:
  12. Looks a real healthy grow like the lighting setup and the fridge as a grow room beats paying out 4 a grow tent 4 sure,
    Thinking of making a veg box this week so will pinch a few of Ur ideas:) 4 that if thats ok:) will keep U posted on it:)
    Again thanks 4 the help on my grow m8 as i said is my first real go at it:)
    Cheers

13. doc be mindful that fridges are insulated and hold heat quite well....be ready to gut some insulation and be sure to have more than adequate circulation.....

ive tried and not all of us are nice with the fridge grows like ghunt

14. I love the LED light with CFL's ambushing all angles. Def badass

15. This is true. A fridge isn't for everyone and I definitely would not consider anything hotter than LED and CFL's in a setup like mine. I do believe it would be possible in a full sized fridge or freezer but only if you planned on that route from the start with your design. If I ever decide to expand that is exactly what I plan to try. Then I will keep my current setup as a veg only chamber.

16. Hey sorry for the double post but I have the same UFO how did u attach the cfls to it

17. I bought some fairly light pieces of "L" bracket at the hardware store (like would support a small shelf) and removed two of the screws on the UFO attaching the brackets through these. Then I bent them to the right angle and used electrical tape to attach th Y splitters to the brackets.

Next photo update I will try and remember to include a picture of this for you.

18. thank u thatd be awesome its all I can think about now I only have one supplemental 42 watt so this would help keep up the good work

19. Hi really liked the idea of the fridge as a veg room but can't get a fridge into the area
    i want to go so have made the box from a few bits left lying around hoping will be ok,
    One old kichen unit which i sealed, added a sliding door made from scrap wood, had some of the silver reflective paper left from flower room so lined the hole ting, 4 100w cfl's and a old pc fan
    have 6x six shooters starting in there from seed 3 have come up fine 2 more r just starting to show and the other one i dropped:eek: so just put the soil back in and hoping 4 the best on that one:eek:
    Any help or tips would be greatful on the veg box been told i should insulate it on the outside havent had a chance to do that yet what u think do i need to?
    will post some pics asap

20. hey i just read your other 2 grows from start to finish and i have to say that you have a real nice set up. good job on growing those girls! looking good.