Perpetual Coco Grow in 2x4 tent 600w hps no mothers!

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by OG GreenFingers, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Hello GC!
    I've decided to start growing again and I'm very excited! I just love growing and now that I have the opportunity to do it again it is on!

So my plan is to start a perpetual system of 4 strains without maintaining any mothers, harvesting one plant every week. The strains I have available for use are:
    -5x acapulco gold feminised(Barney's Farm)
    -10x purple bud regular(Seedsman)
    -10x pure afghan regular(DNA genetics)
    -5x burmese kush feminised(T.H. Seeds)
    -5x OG Kush #18 feminised(Reserva Privada)
    -1x Cheese (Dinafem)
    -1x Mataro Blue (Kannabia)
    -1x Blue Widow (Dinafem)

Had these seeds for a few months for a grow that didn't end up really starting. Now I can use some:). Thinking of going with burmese kush, acapulco gold, Mataro Blue, and a Purple Bud. I've germed 5 autos just to test them out and to have something ready before my first perpetual harvest.

My Grow equipment:
    -600w dimmable electronic ballast with 600w mh and hps bulb(arrived)
    -6" air cooled reflector hood(arrived)
    -6" tjerlund inline fan with speed control(being delivered)
    -6" carbon filter(being delivered)
    -2x4x5 grow tent (being delivered)

So I'll be posting as I progress. Will be germing a burmese kush tomorrow to start the process.

The 2 pics of my 5 autos. Got Roadrunner, Super Cali Haze, Himalaya Blue Diesel, Onyx, and Haze Auto.

Next post will be how I plan to set it all up!

Attached Files:

2. Can't wait till the rest of my equipment arrives so I can start this project! Should be all here by the end of this week! Will take pics and post when they arrive!

3. #3 OG GreenFingers, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2011
    So my plan has been finalized.

The strains I will be using:
    -Burmese Kush(T.H. SEEDS) 8 week strain
    -Mataro Blue(Kannabia) 8 week strain
    -Acapulco Gold(Barney's farm) 10 week strain
    -Purple Bud(Seedsman) 9 week strain

I will be using organic nutrients (BioBizz line) in coco coir mixed with perlite and a bit of shrimp compost with some superthrive and some molasses towards the end.

My final pot size for flowering will be 10L(2.5gallon) pots which will allow me to have a max of 8 plants in the 4x2 tent.

So I will be harvesting every week except once every two months. There will be a 2 week wait before next weekly harvest due to space limitations in the flower chamber. The great thing about my perpetual set up is that if I want to switch in a new strain I have the choice of choosing anywhere from 8 week flowering plants to 10 week flowering plants.

I started germinating Mataro Blue and Burmese Kush yesterday and today started germing the acapulco gold. If i knew my plan earlier I would have waited to germ the burmese next week but since it is already done I will have to veg it for a week longer.

So this is the plan.
    -Mataro blue and acapulco gold at the same time 5 weeks veg then switch to flower. one is 8 weeks the other is 10.
    Burmese will veg an extra week then switch to flowering so that they go into flowering a week after the mataro blue and acapulco gold. Since the burmese is also an 8week it will be done a week after the mataro and a week after acapulco.
    -The purple will start germing 2 weeks later, veg 5 weeks, put into flowering a week after the burmese so that the purple will finish a week after the acapulco.

Each strain is cloned before put into flower and veg for 5 weeks. Then the same process follows.

When I start my 2nd clones I need to put them into flowering after I harvest the first two so that I have space to put in the mataro and acapulco in and start the process all over again.

4. Here are some pics of the stuff I got.

1st pic my collection of seeds. Paper towel in mataro blue bag for germing

2nd pic My 6" air-cooled reflector, dimmable 600w electronic ballast. 600w hps and mh bulb, yoyos for hanging and timer. Got this all on ebay for 280$!!

3rd pic Nutes I have right now. Superthrive and OMRI enlisted BioGrow by BioBizz! Gonna pick up the other nutes when the time comes.

4th pic 3 different pot sizes I will be using.

The 6" inline should be arriving tomorrow, and I'm pretty sure the tent and 6" carbon filter will be here sometime this week.

Attached Files:

5. My fan, carbon filter, and tent came in today!!!
    YEAH!!! Super excited! I picked up the fan today because it actually came yesterday and the carbon filter and tent I will have to go pick up tomorrow!

ahhh I can see it starting to come together!
    the only thing now is that damn acapulco gold better germ and fast! it's been 2 days now and not even a crack!

I don't know if it's just me but it some of the seeds that come from these seed banks look like they are not fully mature. Has anyone else noticed this in they're seed packs? I mean they are all hard but some of them are light brown with no spots or lines and they are also small.

Well let's cross fingers and hope acapulco gold germs or I'm gonna have to come out with another plan or germ another one and shorter veg time. Anyways we will see.

6. Update!

I got all my equipment! But sadly the carbon filter came with big dents! So I e-mailed the company asking for it to be replaced. I don't need the carbon filter for now because I won't have anything to flower till a month later.

Anyhow, I finished setting up the tent today. All it's missing is a carbon filter. But it looks great! I put the 600w metal halide in for now for the autos that I'm doing and for vegging of my perpetual plants, but since they are still very young I am using 50% power.

On another note acapulco gold still hasn't germed!!! I'm thinking of starting to germ another one. If I don't see a crack in the seed tomorrow I'm germing another one! It's been 4 days now and nothing... I can't let this screw around with my perpetual schedule!

Mataro has sprouted and is just waiting to open it's leaves and the burmese kush still hasn't sprung out of the ground, it still has a tiny tap root.
    It's weird that I know this but it is only because when I watered the jiffy today the seed was sitting on top of the jiffy pellet in plain sight. So i stuck it back in. Hopefully it will start rooting more and faster. I'm thinking of giving it some superthrive. Or maybe I should go get some root juice!

And now pics!
    1.Some pics of the dented carbon filter I received.:devious:
    2.And pics of the tent almost all setup with the autos inside and 2 other seedlings that I will be taking care of for a friend(just till veg is over).!:hello:

If you have any comments, questions or advice, please let me know!:smoke:

Attached Files:

7. #7 bugpack28, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2011
    I like the tent dude lol. My close friend has used that exact same setup you have, like exactly, even the bio biz. Everything looks good, how are your temps, humidity? And how fun is it setting up that tent?
    -Bug

8. Thanks for dropping in!

It's awesome that your friend has the same set up as mine.
    How is your friend doing with his setup? Cranking out some nice stuff? How's his yield? Is he also doing a perpetual harvest?

I'm loving my new set up! Simple and clean. Temps are great(77F/25C). and humidity I have no idea yet, waiting on hygrometer.
    To me setting up any type of growroom is fun, from the planning to constructing! The tent was super easy to put together and yes I enjoyed seeing the beautiful thing come together.

Everything is running great except for 2 things in my mind.
    Issue #1 would be the fact that the acapulco gold hasn't germed yet!!! So I kind of lost hope in that seed and started germing another one. Gonna keep them both germing though, hopefully the first is just a late germinator.

Issue #2 The damn Burmese Kush hasn't sprouted yet! Patience I guess but I feel like it should have popped from the ground by now. It's been four days since it germed and hasn't popped out of it's jiffy! I hope I will wake up tomorrow to a little sprout and a cracked acapulco gold.

On tomorrows post.. updates on the autos!

9. K so here are some updates!

The first Acapulco Gold seed finally germed after 8 days!!! Checked the back up and guess what?? it also cracked and is about to stick out it's tap root and this is day 3! Guess the first one was a slow germer. Anyways I'm happy that both germed!! :hello:
    So the acapulco gold has been transplanted into a small container with coco. Back up acapulco is gonna be transplanted when the taproot is sticking out.

As for the BUKU(burmese kush) it still hasn't sprouted out of the ground!! So I broke open the jiffy pellet to see how far along it was. The taproot grew maybe a little less than an inch! But nonetheless I was happy that it was growing(I thought it was a fail). So I transplanted the seed into a small pot filled with coco and at the same time decided to do the same for the mataro blue. So the three strains that I have started are now in their first pot.

Now for the autos!

The autoflowers are growing slowly.:( It's day 18 since they germed! You'll see what I'm talking about when you see the pics. Seems like they are all having slow growth rates. I'm thinking it's because it gets too cold at night. I put in a min/max hygrometer to see how much the temperature fluctuates when it goes dark, so we will see if that is the cause. The humidity is also low so I've decided to get a small humidifier. Gonna make the perfect environment for my little babies!!

The haze seems to be showing signs of magnesium deficiency but I am not a 100% sure. I've posted pics below to show the symptoms of the plant. Has anyone else had a case like this? And if so, did you find out what the problem was?

So I'm kind of skeptical right now as I'm off to a slow start. But hopefully I will be able to fine tune everything so that they can thrive and produce bountiful beautiful buds in that tent!

And now for some pics.

-First two pics are of the leaves showing orange spots.
    -pic 4 is a group shot.
    -pic 3 is the two plants that I'm vegging for a friend.(brainstorm and og#18)
    brainstorm is pretty pale and yellow. Think it needs nutes even though it looks like a shrimp!
    -pic 5 Onyx(short stuff) on the left and Auto Haze(dinafem) on the right
    -pic6 Super Cali Haze(short stuff) on top and Himalaya Blue Diesel(short stuff) on bottom
    -pic7 Roadrunner(dinafem), The sprouted seedling is Mataro Blue(Kannabia)
    and the other two are Buku and AG waiting to sprout!
    -pic 8 group shot

BTW if anyone can show me how to post the pictures in my text it would be much appreciated!

Attached Files:

10. Looks good! I'll be keeping an eye on this to see how it goes :)

11. So i don't think it's the temperature factor, although they seem to be doing a lot better today! Maybe it's because I fed them some nutes yesterday. I also think I need to transplant them. I read that autoflowers should stay in one pot size their entire life. So gonna put them in their final pot sizes tomorrow.

I'm also gonna top 2 of the autoflowers and see how they do. I don't know about autoflowers and using these techniques as they have a limited lifespan and the stress given could yield less since there is no time to make up for the healing. So let's experiment! Has anyone topped autoflowers before?

Buku and AG still haven't popped yet. But the rest are growin.
    Anyways gotta plant the back up AG!

12. So i was looking into mycorrhizal innoculation today and it seems very interesting. Thinking of trying it out on my perpetual plants with some humic acid.

Has anyone tried mycorrhizal innoculation in their grows?? Did you notice a big difference?

Also I think I need to get some CalMag. Plants are starting to show signs of deficiency and I heard that coco is known for Ca and Mg deficiencies.

And thanks for coming by Dubsac, and I hope you will enjoy the show!

13. I need some calmag supplement too :( I'm kinda broke as fuck right now tho! I fed mine 20ml bio canna Flores last night in about 3gal water. Hope they like it!

Ohh I wanted to ask you how you post pics on here? Safe?

And btw; post more pics!

14. Hello,
    He was doing a perpetual harvest, 8 plants total in his tent, a harvest of 4 of them each month. When those ladies were at the end of flowering wow, they were massive. The whole thing is keeping the ladies happy, if you keep them happy, they will make you happy lol. He would have 2 oz's per plant on a low yeilder or a badly growin plant and up to 5 ounces on a good harvest. He grew diamond og back in the day that came out sooo amazing, it was the best weed in the world... no joke!

Check out my grow, I'm using the same size tent as you, and coco... Check you later dude!
    -Bug

15. You're plants will love the bioflores. The first nutrient line I used was the BioCanna line and it was great(BioBoost is super exp!!)! But I like to test different ferts to see which one is the best so I switch every time. I actually used the BioCanna line for my first two as I had enough for another run. Then I tried PureBlend Pro line, it was very good as well but after realizing that it wasn't fully organic I was not satisfied. And now I'm using the BioBizz line up. I have a feeling that this one will be the one(nutes smells very earthy!). But there is other organic nutes to try as well!

Oh btw it is safe to post pics on this website. So far I have posted pics through the "manage attachments" but I found a better way to post pics so i can post pics as I write. If you want just let me know and I'll run you through it.

Also I will have more pics posted in the next 24hrs!

Oh and DubSac create a journal and post some pics so I can follow!! What kind of set up you got going on??? What kind of set up? what strain??

Hey bugpack! I am already subbed to your grow and am following it. lol. I was subbed to your grow before you started checking out mine lol. I remember after posting some threads I wanted to see other people's 2x4 tent in use and I dropped upon yours!:hello:

Anyways it's amazing that your friend cranked out that much per plant! I hope I can do the same! What size pots was he using?

So I'm sure you've posted an update finally!:hello: Gonna go check it out!

16. oh yeah, the bioflores won't help out with the CalMag deficiency that much. You should definitely get some calmag. If you can't afford it go get a table spoon epsom salt and mix it in the next feeding.

17. K well I know it's past 24 hours but here are the updates!

I have a mutated leaf!! I was checking out the ladies today and I noticed that the himalaya blue diesel had a 2 leaves in the middle instead of one(if you don't know what I'm talking about check pictures below. and the new growth is always growing one leaf bigger than the other! Wonder what's going on.... Has anyone every a split middle leaf and what cause it? I'm thinking it's got to do with genetics and is a mutant plant.

K so other than that issue, all autos are in day 16 since sprouting. I transplanted 4 of the 5 autos into their final pot sizes, all except for the auto haze. Need more coco! Gonna go pick some more up on monday! The 4 autos that I transplanted are all short and bushy and the haze is a more stretchy probably the sativa thing. Also three of the five have already shown their sex!

Went to the hydro store just to browse and see if there is anything extra I could pick up and I ended up finding smart pots! I only heard of it recently, I think it was on bugpacks journal, and was curious, so I did some research. Turns out that these pots are pretty awesome! So I bought some to give it a go. What it does is release heat, aerates the root zone, stops root circling and air-prunes the plant's root structure. Whatever is good for my babies I will get!!

So here are some photos of the plants...

Group shot of plants in the tent!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Himalaya Blue Diesel(the mutated leaf plant). Notice one leaf bigger than the other.
    [​IMG]

Side view oh the himalaya blue diesel. This is one of the ones that showed sex.
    [​IMG]

The mutant leaf! Has anyone seen this before? Is there a problem or just genetics?
    [​IMG]

Underside view of mutated leaf.
    [​IMG]

The Roadrunner. Doing the best so far IMO and has also shown sex
    [​IMG]

Side view of the Roadrunner
    [​IMG]

K gonna continue the rest of the pics on the next thread. This one is probably pretty overloaded!

18. Next is the onyx, the one growing the slowest but still doing good! Hasn't shown sex yet.
    [​IMG]

Side view of Onyx!
    [​IMG]

The Super Cali Haze. Also hasn't shown sex yet is growing the most but looks droopy. Thought it was underwatering because when I lifted the pot it was fairly light. So I watered, leaves perked up a bit and then went droopy again even though it was watered!
    [​IMG]

Side view of the Super Cali haze! Notice how all the autos till now were short and bushy including this one.
    [​IMG]

The Haze Auto. Has shown sex. This one is a little stretchy. I'm guessing because of it's sativa genetics. Was looking a little sickly in the early stages but is looking much better now! Though it looks like it might need more nitrogen.
    [​IMG]

Side view of Haze auto
    [​IMG]

K that's all for the autos.
    Here is a pic of the seedlings. The most developed one is the Mataro Blue and right behind is the AG!! Buku just stuck it's shell out of the ground! And the back up AG is on it's way.
    [​IMG]

And now the Brainstorm that I'm nursing for a friend.
    [​IMG]
    Side View of Brainstorm. I love this strains growth pattern, it's nice and symmetrical with good internode length.
    [​IMG]

The OG #18 that I'm nursing for friend. Look at those fat ass indica dominant leaves
    [​IMG]

Side view of OG #18
    [​IMG]

Well I hope you enjoyed the update for those who are following! Hello to those who have just joined!

Any comments, advice or questions would be much appreciated!!:smoke:

19. He was using 5 gal pots, but he really didn't come close to needing pots that size. He could have had the same results or better with 3 gal smart pots. Im using 5 gal pots as well and my plants are on their way to being much larger than his. Like 2 times the size. How large do you want your plants before you switch to 12/12? Ive learned that veg size has a large impact on final yeild. haha duahh i know!
    -Bug

20. Hey Bug! How's it going?
    I'm running 8 plants for the perpetual so the biggest pot size I can use are the 3gals, which is what I intend to do. I just picked up some 1gal smart pots the other day so the perpetual strains will go into those and then 3 gal smart pots. First time using them and am excited to try em out!

Oh and the autos seem to being much better since the transplant! It's good that I transplanted 30 minutes before dark period because they get time to heal during the night. Anyways so it doesn't seem like there was any transplant shock. They are all perked up and healthy looking because they have more space to grow! I'm thinking of fimming 2 or 3 of the autos, see how that works out.

Although the autos are pretty interesting, I can't wait to see my other strains in action. See.. All the autos were freebies, and I'm not saying freebies are bad, but The strains that I wanted to get and did get was the AG, BUKU, Purple Bud, OG #18, and Pure Afghan(Pure indica, landrace! Want to use for possible future breeding projects. Got the breeder's bible to read through before I start breeding). And three of the five are in the perp system. I might switch in the Pure Afghan for the mataro blue or the OG for the Purple later on. But whatever strain I decide to replace I will hold in veg so that I can go back to it if I wanted!

I was thinking of injecting CO2 into the grow when the perp strains will go into veg. Thinking of using paintball CO2 tanks and putting a regulator on it. I thought it would be good for my size tent plus it small and doesn't take up space in the garden if you hang it!
    Is anyone using this method? Oh and btw I know most people introduce supplemental CO2 in flowering but does anyone do it in veg?
    I'm think it will be benefecial in veg as well because the CO2 affects photosynthesis which is used in all stages of the plants life.

Anyways I'll have some pics up tomorrow to show you how they're doing.