SSP's Perpetual Sea of Green Medical Grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by sinsemillaplease, Dec 15, 2010.

1. #1 sinsemillaplease, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2010
    First timer in the house! I'm pretty excited to finally be getting my first grow going. I've read countless threads here and in the public forums, marijuana grow books and a cannabis chemistry book as well. Obviously, I still feel pretty green (lol) but it's time to jump right in and see how it goes.

Originally, I planned on doing screen of green but after reevaluating my needs I've realized that I need to be able to add new clones under the lights every two weeks. For that reason, I'm going with sea of green. I have a roommate who is also a medical marijuana patient and we're both permitted to grow 12 plants each. We're going to do a 4 tray cycle of 6 plants each... allowing us to harvest every 2 weeks. We're getting clones from a local dispensary. I'm thinking indica or indica-dominant strains only.

Here is a list of our supplies with pictures. I'd like to know if this seems sufficient to produce thick, healthy, tasty buds. Please let me know if anything I plan on using is a bad idea.

8x4x2 grow tent with Mylar lined interior

[​IMG]

SunLeaves reflector w/ 400 watt HPS light

[​IMG]

Advanced Nutrients Sensi Grow and Sensi Bloom (pretty sure I won't need the Sensi Grow)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Advanced Nutrients Bud Candy

[​IMG]

24 ~1 gallon pots (Not totally sure of the size)
    [​IMG]

Pro-Mix HP - High Porosity Growing Medium (to be mixed with extra Perlite.. possibly some worm castings as well)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Anybody out there? I'd like some kind of reassurance from someone with experience. I'm just well read.... I've got no experience of my own to work with.

3. Great setup man! Love the fact how you can just go down and get clones... awesome!! I've seen alot of good grows in tents around the city so looking forward to some big stuff.

Not a soil guy myself; but I love watching some good grows from it to try to convince me to change my style. Thats a crap load of nutes and such... you are well read and going at this the right way.

Also I would also encourage you to once you bring in a few clones to save some money look into cloning your own stuff. I've had great luck just using an AeroGarden to start up seeds and clones before moving to a vegging area. Would save you plenty of cash I would think too but also helps to encourage your inner green thumb.

I'll be stopping by man! May the Growing Force be with you...

4. Looks like you're off to a good start. Not familiar with the growing medium. Advanced Nutrients products are good. I used to use them but switched to Humboldt.

5. #5 sinsemillaplease, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2010
    Forgot to photograph the clone dome. I've got one and some rooting solution. All ready to go with clones... my roommate has done it before so it shouldn't be too difficult. We're getting the clones for free... we know the grower at the dispensary.

Glad to here that the nutes are alright. Would've had to wait a couple weeks for Humboldt nutes because they were out of stock. My roommate had these laying around. Humboldt nutes are specifically designed for weed correct? Did you notice a difference in potency or yield after making the switch?

I learned a bit more about the soil I plan on using. It's mostly peat w/ some perlite and lime to counter the acidic breakdown of the peat. Here are the technical details if anybody is interested.

How do you filter your water? We've got a Brita pitcher but for the amount of water we'll need to filter its pretty slow.

6. I use an RO filer, and the AN nutes are just fine. They are also more or less made for cannabis.

7. I think I'm gonna go with one of the carbon filtration, ion-exchange and sub-micron filtration doodads since RO doesn't remove chloramine. This is the one I'll probably get some time down the line. For now I'll stick with the Brita pitcher. Just tested the ph from tap and from the filter. Didn't expect a difference but apparently the filter lowers the ph from around 8 to somewhere around 6-7.

Pro-Mix HP starts off pretty acidic (~5.5) so filtering the water should help.

8. sweet! glad to see you and your grow here man, im gonna stay tuned

are you set on a 400 watt? i know for a fact aside from the cost you would not regret a thousand watt, your plants would thank you too

9. Too hot, too expensive and totally unnecessary for my needs. We'll be getting a 600 watt sometime in the near future.

10. thats an answer....
    are you not using ventilation, just oscillating fans?

11. We're buying a carbon filter when the time comes. The ventilation isn't set up yet cause we haven't borrowed a drill to hang the light yet. Should be done by the end of this week.

12. Nice man, good luck on the grow.

13. I'm pumped for you man, glad to see you can finally start growing!

14. Getting clones tomorrow or Monday. :yay:

15. #15 sinsemillaplease, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2011
    Umm.... we're off to the races.

Upgraded to a 600 watt ballast and light. Roommate got 11 strawberry haze and 1 chocolope clone(s) and planted them while I was out for the weekend. Yes that's 6 too many for the system I described earlier. I'm not happy with it but he bought them so what can ya do? There will not be 6 too many in the coming cycles. The genetics are also sativa dominant. I'm expecting height issues. I intended to choose indica dominant strains but my roommate doesn't seem to listen so he'll have to learn through experience.

I've yet to water them myself so I don't know pH but I suspect it is much too acidic already. I can see some obvious signs of stress from the move and possibly the acidic soil. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. This feels more like a diary than a grow journal... cause I'm the only one reading... lol.

Anyway, all signs of transplant stress are gone. Next watering will come with a pH runoff test but they haven't needed it yet. I can still feel water at the top of the soil... barely have to put my finger in. It looks like I've either got some stretching or just some plants that were cloned earlier. Can't tell yet.

Left 6
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Right 6
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. #17 sinsemillaplease, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2011
    Today is Day 14. My pictures started on day 4.

I figured out today that there are actually two Chocolope plants, not one (1 in the back left corner and one in the front right corner. Its obvious that they're clones from the same mother when you look at them and compare to the strawberry haze.

As you can see we recently transplanted to two gallon white pots. I was seeing roots come out the bottom of the black pots.. I had assumed they would be big enough for the whole cycle... apparently not. This reduces the amount of plants we can have in the tent at once to 18. We cut our old trays to make 3 new ones that hold 6 plants each. So now we'll be adding 6 plants every four weeks.

On to the pictures...

[​IMG]

1-6 (Plants have been moved around so numbers don't mean anything)

[​IMG]'

7-12

[​IMG]

These ones seem to be flourishing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They tallest of them are right around 10".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Chocolope runts. They're easily the weakest looking plants of the bunch. Maybe its genetics. I'm hoping they just mature more slowly or something.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hmm... What's this? It's isolated to one or two leaves. Is the plant merely cannibalizing this leaf or could a be a nute def? We haven't fed them a thing yet because they don't seem to need it. The pH is a bit low. Somewhere around the low 5s. We've been trying to bring it up with watering. I'll add a bit of lime if that doesn't work out.

[​IMG]

18. Just moved this from Nirvana. Let me know what you think.

19. #19 sinsemillaplease, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2011
    Day 15

Decided to start the plants on a very light feeding schedule. Well... it's not really a schedule because I think setting actual dates would be doing the plants a disservice. I'll let them tell me when they need it. A few were starting to show what I think was a nitrogen deficiency in the lower leaves. I took slightly under half a teaspoon of part a and around a 1/4 tsp of part b and added it to a gallon. I mixed it, split the gallon in half and added more water from tap. I pH balanced the feeding solution to somewhere in the 6-6.5 range and had runoff around 5.5 after I fed the 8 or so that needed water.

Advanced Nutrients recommended dose for 600 ppm is 1.38 tsp/gal. I imagine my solution is around 1/4 of their recommendation with an A/B ratio of 2:1.

I've been having a hard time getting runoff. The soil-less peat medium seems to hold a lot of water even though there is a lot of perlite added to what was already there out of the bag. Maybe I'm just not using enough water. This time I added 2 gallons to the 8 plants that I watered and only three plants showed runoff at all.

Despite seemingly not adding enough water, the leaves initially droop after watering. They don't stay that way long. This is expected right?

Pictures a couple hours after the feeding...

[​IMG]

1-6
    [​IMG]

7-12
    [​IMG]

The Chocolope sisters (Not so runtish anymore)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. looking good man! keep up the good work. chocolope is a fun strain, i have had many times. i have a sister cross to another choco strain the grand daddy chocolate. one of my favorites of all time.

had a question; do you plan on topping or profiling? i usually do it about that age or even earlier.