How I'll spend my fall or My first grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by LaterSkater, Oct 12, 2010.

1. #1 LaterSkater, Oct 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2010
    This is my first ever attempt at growing pot. After 33 years of smoking, it is finally time to try to understand and cultivate this plant that has been such a great part of my life for low these many years. Knowing less than nothing about growing, I started where we all start these days. The internet. I used the usual resources, Youtube, forums and the like. After researching for a few weeks I have come to the conclusion that no two sources agree about anything when it comes to growing pot! I am almost as confused as when I started researching. That said, I jumped in like I always do and I am sure I will learn to grow like I learn EVERYTHING else.....THE HARD WAY!

My set up:

3'x4.5'x7' grow tent lined with Mylar
    600 w digital ballast with enclosed air cooled hood with MH lamp for veg and HPS lamp for flower
    465 cfm 6" inline fan
    Carbon filter
    6" 250 cfm duct fan
    18" oscillating fan
    Min max hygrometer
    6 3 qt pots for veg
    6 3 gal pots for flower
    Hanna Phep pen
    PH calibration fluid
    Ph up/down
    Various measuring bowls and devices
    Einstine Oil

My Nutrients/Soil:

Organicare pre mixed soil - Recommended by my local hydro shop
    Nutri+ A&B Grow
    Nutri+ A&B Bloom
    Nutri+ Thrive
    Nutri+ Black
    Nutri+ Gold
    Nutri+ Bud Plus
    Nutri+ Blossom Plus
    Nutri+ Algues Marine Seaweeds
    Nutri+ C&M
    Atomic Nutrients Atomic Wall
    Atomic Ion Flush
    Atom Bomb

I cool my lighting by pulling air from the room into the side vent on the tent into ducting - into hood - into ducting - into 6' duct fan - out the opposite side vent and out of the window in the room. For ventilation I have the carbon filter at the top of the tent going to the 6' inline fan and straight out the top of the tent into the room. I have two 6' passive air intakes on each side of the tent as well as two flapped vents in the tent. The tent has a lot of negative air pressure. The tent is in a 10'x12' room that used to me my home recording studio. Hobby's, everyone needs one! The room stays closed and has negative air pressure. I have a 9000btu air conditioner in the room that vents out the window. The tent stays between 68 and 80 degrees and usually stays at about 40 to 50% RH.

Attached Files:

2. you wont be learning the hard way any more my friend.

that is a very nice setup.

what did it end up costing?

your temps are perfect, the RH is perfect.

your going to have some beautiful ladies growing in there soon.

3. Starting from scratch, I have spent about $1500. That includes the air conditioner, nutes and the whole none yards.

4. All none of them yards of them yards ehh? Just busting your balls your set up is sick you have great grow conditions mate. So a few questions.

Any idea what genetics you'll go for first?
    Any training methods you'll use?
    Is your grow legal?
    Any medical conditions your growing weed to help with?
    Any questions you have at the moment?

It's always nice to see a long time toker get a green thumb. When first started researching I noticed a good amount of conflicting information as well. I think what may work for one grow may not work well for another. There are too many uncontrolled variables in most home grows. But that's what communities like GC are here for brainstorming to help fix each others' grows. It just goes to show that there's more than none way to skin a cat :D

Now I'm just high rambling >_>

5. Typing is hard......:eek:
    Answers:
    1. I have three Mr. Nice clones and three Hawaiian OG clones.
    2. I am not sure if or what training method I should use, but I am open to suggestion.
    3. Yes, I am a medical marijuana patient, so is my wife! I am legal.
    4. Well, I used my chronic low back pain as an excuse for my recommendation, but I have never felt pot helps with pain, At least not with me, but I have had many surgeries and procedures done.
    5. No questions at the moment. I may not be smart enough to know to ask right now......:eek:

Thanks for the feedback and offer to help answer questions! I will be asking them as they come up, and MAN they come up! Thanks Arsenal!

6. I'd suggest ScrOG this guide is what I followed. It's great for keeping control of plant height and greatly increasing yield.

http://forum.grasscity.com/plant-training/48363-scrog-method.html

7. Thanks Arsenal, I will read through it. Nice signature. "His name is Ralph!"

8. Looks like I will not be scrogin this go round. I would not be able to flush as I am just using pots and hand watering for now. I will have to think about that next grow. I'll just be doing the ole' sog this time.

9. you could try LST in that case, similar principle but you can move the pots

10. I will probably do a little lst on them, or maybe just top them, I am still not sure. Here are some updated pics from day 12 of vegging.
    First Grow Attempt 027 (Medium).jpg

This is where I will be cloning and germinating. It is also where I do my mixing.
    First Grow Attempt 012 (Medium).jpg

I have another tent on the way for this LED. I will be adding some cfl's to the led in a 2x2x4 tent for the first couple weeks of vegging.
    First Grow Attempt 013 (Medium).jpg

Attached Files:

11. #11 anonymous_grow, Oct 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2010
    subscribed.
    Looking good, I have a very similar set-up with 10 plants but from seed rather than clone, so they are prob about 10 days or 2 weeks behind yours in timing.

12. Anonymous - Thanks man. I will probably end up doing 9 at a time. This being my first attempt, I did,nt want to overcrowd. My tent is 3x4.5x7. 9 Plants seem to be perfect for that tent. Man I miss the midwest. I lived in Iowa for 13 years. Of course, when all the dispenceries opened up out here in Cali, I knew I had to get back home! I miss Fall!

13. I was bored and thought I would upload a vid of my set up. Here's the link if your interested. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ovVEfDqVgE]YouTube - Grow Room 1.wmv[/ame]

14. What a pro setup you have going on there! I'm subbing in full support of a first timer that has obviously done the research. You're going to have so much fun if you haven't already.

I highly recommend training the plants in one fashion or another because you'll be amazed at the stretch during flowering. Real estate in your tent will be at a premium for sure.

They're looking happy and healthy. Keep it up :)

15. #15 LaterSkater, Oct 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2010
    Thanks Slo. Its about the only thing I can do for fun these days. I'm looking at a second back surgery fairly soon, so no more surf, skate rock and roll and no work either. I will probably end up on permanent disability, so with the reduced income I have to grow my own. I can deal with anything as long as I can smoke my ganj!:smoke:

16. I can't imagine the misery you must be in, brah. I'm North Shore born and raised and couldn't imagine not being able to get in the water. It just isn't right that you gotta deal with that :(

At least you'll be able to put all your energy into your girls. You'll definitely reap the rewards of that.

17. It's cool man. I am 45 years old and managed to keep rolling full speed untill this. I have done a lot of physical stuff in my life, now it's time to work more on the mental game. Its good for me. I find that it is the attitude that you bring into a situation that makes it bad or good for you. I spent all (most) of my negativity up, life is way better. I only brought all that back stuff up because that is the reason I am now growing and it IS fun as hell. I get WAY too into shit!

18. Nice setup Skater, You seem to have done your research. I'm sure you'll do great.

I hear you on that man ^, Everything I get into I go all out, Learn everything I can, and get the best I can. Oh and +rep for the music studio, I had a little home studio myself, I produce hiphop beats though.

19. Thanks Bagz! I have worked qith a couple of rappers. I dig good hip hop, especially if they have some live musicians playing. I am an old punker at heart thought. Shit, I'm just plain old! LOL! Yea, once I get interested in something, I can't let it go until I OWN it. ADD? :eek:

20. Hey man how are the clones doing? Getting lots of side shoots? How's the nod distance on the new growth? Should post some pics man. I am excited.