8ishop's closet-CFL-Dirt-1st Grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by 8ishop, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Time I started my own journal I suppose. So far I've been happy with what I have and only hope and expect things to get better. So far my plants are on day 8 above dirt and I've already gone along way into making a commitment of them.

What I have is 6 CFL 26 watt 6500k lights surrounding my circle of babies that I hope to see be ladies. 5 of them are on the day 8 and the two sprouts are new ones that just came up yesterday. All but one of them are in 2" jiffy Pots and one is in a short can. What gets to me is that all the 8 day old plants are growing at the same rate it seems, except the one in the can wich is much much much more developed and larger. Where the others are starting small leaves of the 3rd set, the canned one is well into it's 3rd set getting started with the 4th set just starting to show. It also has growth from it's first nodes starting to pop up. This thing is looking amazing and I don't know why it is in a different level than the jiffy potted ones. Could it be that the jiffy pots are absorbing water and not letting the plant have it?

This grow is in cheap potting soil with a high peatmoss and sand content.. I might have even overdone it with sand and moss. I use the standard MG mix for nutes wich i am happy with for now but will most likely change later due to the community views on MG.

I am posting 1 photo of the canned one from april 23 and one from today april 27. Also posting a photo of the group.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. #2 punkrocker7117, Apr 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2010
    Your plants appear to have alot of stretching taking place. id advise to actually get more light than what you have. you will need it sooon. also, more importantly though, you need to get some pearlite in the soil. just wait till you transplant, then put them into soil with a good portion of pearlite, your going to need something to allow water to go through your soil, rather than it just absorbing it all. this can lead to root rott, which is devestating. off to a good start though, healthy green coloring. as for your post to me on another thread though. when your plants are much much older, id recomend an a/c in the room if you want a purple tint, but keep in mind not all strains will turn purple.

3. the stretching came from the first two days out of dirt. I started out with only two lights within 4 inches instead of two and a 3rd light that was about 8 inches away. since changing my lighting and upgraded they have not actually grown any taller just larger and fuller. I got a fan for breeze wich has trained them to be much stronger already.

as for perite. I had been hoping it was something I could just do without since I have sand and moss to keep a soft and draining soil. I'll have to get some input on this and make a choice. Just for note, they plants will be tranfered into larger self watering planters. Not so sure how that will go. more learning awaits.

4. Just got some new lights and changed my garden. This was needed cause I transplanted two of my plants. Now comes the hopes for girls. I transplanted my largest one from the can and named her(?) Persephone. I took a random from a jiffy pot and named Jade.

Jade and Persephone with a couple images of my set-up
    lights b.JPG

Attached Files:

5. Things seem to be going good with the plants. Comparing a Picture of Persephone from yesterday with one from today really shows some amazing growth. All these Images can be found in my gallery

Yesterday and today
    P 5-3-10.jpg

Attached Files:

6. Nice! I like your light set up. If I had more room I would have done something similar. Never underestimate the potential of CFL's... Use them right and you will be rewarded!

7. Looks really nice! Light setup is pretty good, I may even have to use that :)

8. Very nice! This gives me hope for what I have going on. You've been helping me with my grow as far as ventilation and lighting goes and I was wondering if you could post some specifics of your grow room? Dimensions, intake and exhast sources/process.

Man, I wish I could get my hands on some Indica dominant strains. Right now, I am limited to Mexican bagseed which tends to be Sativa dominant.

9. #9 ISmokeDaily, May 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2010
    lookin pretty sweet man. im subscribed, keep the updates'a'comin!!!!! :D

edit: put your lights a little tiny bit closer like 1" away from the top and it will keep them more compact and bushy rather then have a huge stretchy stem

10. Looking nice. Check out my babies. think we may harvest at same time if we veg for same amount. I will veg another week and half.

11. My friend, I dont even smoke weed and wouldn't even know where to begin. I asked my bartender to get me some seeds out of a stash one day. Only thing she knows about marijuana is that it gets you high. Well she gets me these seeds and says "it come from some hydro called kush i think". I explained, with my disgust at the term, that hydro is no more a type of pot than dirt is. As it goes though, i grow the bagseed and it is without a doubt indica domi.

As for my grow room. I grow one young plants in the corner of a closet with 4 CFLs. My mature plants grow in their very own closet with 4x 48" tubes overhead nearly 2 feet from the plants with my 8 CFLs directly over the plants. 4 cfl per plant. I have a fan in this closet to move air and make the girls strong.

As for venting, I have none at all, I leave my doors open. For odor control I use an Oust small space odor eliminator that i just happen to see at the store one day for $4. in the next couple weeks I'll have an ONA bucket made for serious odor control.

in time I will pick me up a cheap dresser from a thrift store or yard sale and gut it and make me a nice grow cab. For now I'm broke, layed off, and doing good to just be able to buy lights.

12. I actually keep my CFL's inside the plant nearly. They are so close that I have to possition the plant so that it's leaves apre between the bulbs. My plant is actually extremely short. Up the stalk, my nodes are only 3/8 to 3/4 inch apart. None of my plants are more than 4 inches tall.

13. just a few pics. One of Persephone after re adjusting the ropes. mostly pics of my lights and crap as they are now. The lights on the power strip over the clay pot are actually a good distance above the plant (about 4 inches). But right now it is topped and i kinda want the limbs to stretch out some so that i can have more space between the 4 main bud sights and also make them easier to tie down and let spread out the new growth.

two.jpg

Attached Files:

14. looking nice man. :D Keep it up. Im really basing my shit of your grow.

15. I never really notice much growth in my plants from day to day. They always seem like they are halted. then i look at pictures of them at a day or two apart and my eyes become open.

In the last couple days, Persephone's size had not seem to change all that much but looking at the photo from the 13th, she has really filled out alot and much more bushy. She has really gone along way since recent LSTing. She has become a very bushy plant opposed to a twiggy plant with a few leaves.

Now if only I had some explanation why Jade laggs so far behind. Persephony started passing all her sisters in growth since the first few days. I still think the difference was the can. Perhaps damage to the base of her stalk when she was pooped diapers. I'll prolly never know but i do find it odd that even now Jade cant even start to catch up with her. Inside, I hope that it is incredible genetics that cause Persephone to grow so strong in wich case I still only hope she is really a she.

Persephone-Persephone again- and Jade
    Jade 5-15.JPG

Attached Files:

16. #16 ISmokeDaily, May 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2010
    looking good bro! my Francine is catching up i think. I was wondering though
    does having that layer of sand on top of your soil benefit them in any way or... what is its purpose?

17. I was having a really hard time dealing with gnats so i resorted to a layer of sand to cover up the dirt. It did seem to do a really good job at evicting the bugs.

18. You know, I was wondering about this and if I would encounter gnats in the future. Do you keep your grow area open-air mostly or do you have it sealed off with heavy plastic sheeting of some kind?

I keep my area completely sealed up with adequate intake and exhaust so I am hoping I wont run into gnats. There are a lot of gnats in my area of the world though so it may be unavoidable.

19. My plants grow in open area. Closet with the door open. I've been having gnat problems since february. Started whith my Salvia plants wich really made for problems as i was spraying them twice a day or more for moisture. most of my problem comes from me being a noob to growing so i water to much and dont let my dirt dry out enough so the gnats love me.

20. please excuse me if you have already seen this question/statement in your journal but i noticed the coffee tin you were growing in. my question is- ever worry about rust? im no grow pro but all i had at the time way back in the day was coffee tins and i worried about rust and its destructive nature. have any problems with it???