Mmmmick 288w Led development scrog, White Widow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by mmmmick, Mar 9, 2010.

1. #1 mmmmick, Mar 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2010
    After a shipping mishap with the original,my new LED has been received and mounted, so it looks like I'm ready to start a new journal.
    The strain is expected to be White Widow from seed by Doggies Nutz through Attitude. 4 to 6 plants in a scrog. Scrog size to be determined by coverage. This is a new led company and design and the supplier is investigating coverage area, light distance from plants etc, so there are no coverage claims made at this time. The wavelengths used may change in future designs so this grow may be extended to cover updated models.

The company website is not quite ready so I can't post the name yet, I will post the appropriate details when available.

Light specs:
    New custom design
    300w input (12w used for fans and circuitry)
    288w light output (288x1w diodes)
    120 degree dispersion angle
    7 wavelengths ranging from far red to deep blue. (red 660nm accounts for 45%)
    8 fans
    9.5kg
    482x315x70mm 19x12.4x2.75"

Grow medium is promix with dolomite lime, 30% perlite in 4 gallon/16Litre pots

Nutes are Botanicare Pure Blend Pro veg and flower solutions, Cal-mag(if needed), Superthrive, molasses.

Water source will be RO for the near term, due to fluctuating ph levels at the tap.

My DIY cabinet still needs to be prettied up a little but it's functional at this point. Screens are not in place/required yet. There will be 2 flower areas, the larger of the two, used for this grow, is 1 meter square (40x40"). The second chamber 51x101cm (20x40") is in use with a 126w grow which will not be covered in this journal. Passive air intake through the bottom of the cabinet, exhaust is a speed controlled 4" Soler&Palau in line fan model TD100x MixVent(very quiet). Currently drawing and venting through a window, but that may change to an attic discharge once it's warm enough to work up there.

Seeds were soaked Feb14th. White Widow seeds have only germed 1 of 4, so I am soaking 3 more WW seeds, we'll see how they do.I also started 4 Afghani Hindu Kush and they opened after 12 hour soak and were above ground in 3 days. I believe that verifies that my methods are sound.I may end up with the Afi's as the focus for this journal, but it's early yet.
    pics up later, it's a little late tonight
    All are welcome to comment, suggest, or just lurk if you prefer. No LED wars please, heheh :D

2. High Mick :wave:

Everything sounds good to me :D pulling up a chair :smoke:

3. high doin', welcome aboard.:)

Got a few pics coming up shortly.

4. #4 mmmmick, Mar 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2010
    Seeds soaked feb14th pics are from feb20th 4 Afi's and one lonely White Widow.
    The Doggies Nutz WW are not impressing me in the slightest as far as germination goes. Cost 3x as much as the High Quality Seeds Afi's and only 25% germ rate, so far.
    You don't always get what you pay for.

Edit: germ rate is at 10% now, only 1 of 10 has popped. Waiting to see if Attitude is likely to do anything about this.03/29/

Attached Files:

5. The cabinet, incomplete but functional enough at this point in time. Should be able to get it wired today. Yes the room needs paint. So shoot me, it was only for storage, lol.

Air intake is through a channel in the bottom center of the cabinet, into 2 4" tubes to split it between the chambers. Two 4" outlets into a box on top containing a homebuilt carbon filter. I didn't pipe intake air directly into the tent due to cold winter air. Window is open 24/7 to supply lots of fresh air to the room where it is heated to keep grow temps in a decent range. The 288w led is on the left.

Attached Files:

6. Just curious if anyone can I.D. this strain for me.
    I believe it's either white rhino or freisland, the two strains this grower had on hand. It was at least 5 days in a trash bag with a load of fan leaves that I inherited to make budder. Still looked viable so I trimmed the bottom half and dipped it in Stim Root powder and stuck it in promix.
    It's amazing to me that it took but it seems to be thriving.
    I've smoked the freisland and the white rhino but never seen either up close and personal. I'm hoping it's the fresiland

Attached Files:

7. Looks awesome mick!!! :cool:

Do you have any pics of the new light itself? I am really curious to see it. I have thought about running an LED fixture at some point if I get another tent to use for my mother plants.

8. thanks shaggy it's gettin there.
    I was planning to get some pics together for the supplier, Ill post some of them when I get em done. It'll probably be tomorrow tho, I'm trying to get it wired up tonight. Are you looking for the bright side of things or just closer overall pics? No matter I was gonna take a pile of them anyway.

9. Awe :love: Look at the lil ones...they're so cute :p
    I bet they look a lot different now ;)

Cool cab :D

Hope you're having a good day :wave:

10. #10 mmmmick, Mar 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2010

Couple of pics of the light, the case is the standard form we see on other fan cooled LED's. 8 fans but really not very loud. From 5 feet away through a hollow core door, it is difficult to hear.
    Are you thinking of using the LED for the mothers or as a flower light?

Attached Files:

11. Hi doin', I'm afraid they are struggling to survive me, lol. Looking pretty rough but they are starting to get some green back and may survive. We shall see, they're still really small. I guess they were putting all their energy into staying alive.

Man I'm hard on my plants.:eek:

heheh I do love them, I just don't express it well, apparently.

12. #12 mmmmick, Mar 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2010
    A few pics to give an idea of the coverage at 6, 12, 18 and 24 ". (15, 30, 45 and 60cm approximately). The grid markers are at app 4" (10cm) spacing to give some idea of scale.

White balance has been adjusted for these pics as the regular balance settings don't show contrast as well.

This isn't very scientific but I put my thermometer under the light just to get a rough idea how hot it gets as I can feel a little heat. Not excessive and might actually help with water uptake.

Ambient temp 77F (25C)
    Temps at 6" were 104F (40 C) after 1 hour.
    At 12" temps were 84F (29 C) after 1 hour.
    No impact on temps under the light at 18" or above.

Granted, these temps came from a black bodied plastic thermometer and the far red leds are close to infrared so there may be a little less heat on the plants.

Attached Files:

13. I'm pulling up a chair. Thanks for the invite at the LED social group. Best of luck and be safe. .v.

14. Very sweet light bro!!!! Yeah I was considering using LED for my mothers.

15. Welcome V, thanks for dropping in.

16. Hi Mick :wave:

The light is very cool! Great idea to see what the temp range is at different heights :D

I'm amazed that the one plant spent 5 days in a trash bag :eek: I can't get over how good it looks! :hello:

Hope you're having a great weekend Mick :bongin:

17. Led would work great for your moms but might be a little pricey for that purpose. If you just want to maintain them, rather than generate rapid growth, cfls or even flouro tubes might be a better alternative. Not that I want to talk anyone out of using them, but bang for the buck matters.
    I'm using the 90w UFO to maintain 4 mothers and I have had to cut them back twice in the last three months, they grow a little too fast to maintain at a reaonable size. You might be able to find one of the older 2 color leds for your mums, they veg well and should be quite inexpensive if you can find one.

18. Hi doin' thanks.

I was a little curious because I could feel warmth under the unit. It's not excessive but maybe beneficial to have a little heat.

Yeah that branch tip took right of after a dip in some stim root. Looks like a lot of sativa in the strain.

Good weekend so far, doin'. Hope you enjoyed your evening out to celebrate your anniversary.:):smoking:

19. nice set up. how the noise level on that fan you got?

20. thanks Fatbuddz

I guess noise is a relative thing but I find it very quiet on low and on high it's difficult to hear through a closed door, about 5 feet from the light.