Fourth grow: Pandora's Box from TGA Subcool!

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by chiefton8, Jan 22, 2010.

1. #1 chiefton8, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2010
    So this is my fourth grow! I started 3 seeds, all three have germinated and are growing well so far :) . My hope is to get one female to take to harvest since that's all the room I really have... :D

Strain: Pandora's Box from TGA Subcool, purchased from Attitude seed bank.

Lights: For veg, 250w MH conversion bulb on 18/6. For flowering, 250w HPS with 2x45 CFL's.

Soil: FoxFarm's Happy Frog for germination, then FoxFarm's Ocean Forest with added perlite when I repot.

Nutes: FoxFarm's Grow Big for veg (although I don't think I'll need any since FFOF soil is pretty hot already), and then a combination of FoxFarm's Tiger Bloom and Dyna Gro Bloom for flowering.

Odor control: 6-inch inline fan attached to a 12 lb carbon scrubber rated at 450 CFM, bought from HTG Supply. I attached a dampener to it so that I can control the speed of the fan, otherwise it's a little too load and fast for my closet space.

Here they are at 7 days since they poked out of the soil: :D

Plant 1:

[​IMG]

Plant 2:

[​IMG]

Plant 3:

[​IMG]

2. Hoping you get all ladies if you wish but having a bit of that pollen would be great too. Really healthy looking youngin's you have. Any guesstimate of how long you will veg? Hopefully your strain is very stable and lmited phenos but variety is the spice of life no? Good luck and happy farming.

3. #3 chiefton8, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2010
    Hey man thanks for the reply!

Indeed a bit of pollen would be great...but unfortunately given my grow space, where I live and how much bud my wife and I consume, there is no room or time for me to do any breeding. In the future I hope to do some though once my wife and I move to a more amenable living situation. For now, my growing habit is just a small time hobby that I do once a year for our personal supply so that we don't have to go running around town trying to find dealers with bud. ;)

I'm hoping to veg for 4-5 weeks...makes for a nice sized plant given the size of my grow area. I'll update pictures tonight, but it looks like two plants have similar phenos and the third plant is slightly different, but the difference is subtle. We'll see which one, if any, becomes my lucky lady. :D

4. 13 days since sprout! :D Just after these pictures were taken, I transplanted them into 5 gal pots with a mixture of (roughly) 70% FoxFarm Ocean Forest, 20% Perlite and 10% FoxFarm Happy Frog.

Plant1:

[​IMG]

Plant 2:

[​IMG]

Plant 3:

[​IMG]

5. mice pullin up a chair always wanted to see this strain in action

6. I'm in, that Pandoras Box looks really interesting, I was checkin it out recently when deciding on my new strain for the new year.

Good vibes to your plants bro! :smoke:

7. Thanks! I've heard such good things about Subcool's strains from seemingly reputable growers that I decided it was worth giving his beans a try. Haven't seen anyone else in the grow journal section who has grown them, so maybe this'll be a first. :) Keep your fingers crossed there's a female among them... :smoking:

8. theres another guy who is growin the cindy99 and querkle his querkle looks like he wets it and ppours a cup of sugar directly on top crstalize like crazy ill try and find it

9. I'm sure you'll get a lady in there ;), yeah Chief, Subcool is well respected. I was lookin at the pandoras box that you got, I like this little bit from the description: "the buzz is up, speedy, very shit eating grin and smiling like a Cheshire cat like high." That right there almost got me.. Cant wait to see how you like it. I also was very close to getting Jack the Ripper, Jilly Bean and Deep Purple.. There's just no way for me to decide between those three, so I ended up getting Reserva's Kandy Kush (OG Kush x Trainwreck).. I still want Jilly and the Deep Purple really bad. I think you made a great choice getting that Pandora's. :smoking:

10. Day 19 of veg (18/6 with 250w MH conversion bulb). 5 days ago I transplanted all three into bigger pots. Plants 1 and 2 are in 5 gallon pots while plant 3 is in a 3 gallon pot. The soil mix is (approximately) 70% FoxFarm's Ocean Forest, 20% Perlite and 10% FoxFarm's Happy Frog. They seem to like their new home so far. :D

I came home yesterday and my place was starting to get some of that fresh cannabis smell...had to turn on the my new carbon scrubber. :cool:

Plant 1:
    [​IMG]

Plant 2:
    [​IMG]

Plant 3:
    [​IMG]

11. nice i cant wait till i gett a mh

12. nice, i have three plants growin my self. mine are a few weeks older

13. I have a bag of perlite but didn't mix it with the FFOF because it already seemed like it had a bunch of perlite in it. My soil seems to drain really well but now I'm wondering if I should have used it :confused:. I'm so jealous your plants look absolutely wonderful!

14. yeah man, the mh works really well...keeps the plants nice and bushy. i haven't tried CFL's or anything else for veg, but i see no reason to do anything other than MH. :cool:

nice. hope your grow goes smoothly!

Yeah, FFOF has a decent bit of perlite already. I have heard several experienced growers on here say they just use it straight up, no extra perlite, and it works great. On the other hand, many people recommend adding more perlite to FFOF. If your pots are draining well without extra perlite, I think you're plants will be perfectly happy...no need to worry!

15. Hey Chiefton:wave:, looks like it will be a nice lil grow for ya man, I want to watch this for sure. Not too many 250watts being used here so Im always down to watch someone pull some nice yields from one. I should follow your lead and supplement my 250 with some cfls:eek:, cant wait to see em grow up nice and big man:D:smoking:

16. #18 1000Hz, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2010
    Yo Chief do you ever have to use calmag when growing in ffof? I've always had serious problems with ffof, that's the whole reason I switched to hydro. I haven't narrowed down the problem, but the problem is definitely reduced when I feed my ffof plants with calmag, but not prevented or stopped. I'm a ph freak, so I'm always on top of that, but for some reason after about 45 days in ffof my plants lower leaves start to get brown spots and start yellowing. It's beyond me, I've been over the plant abuse chart so many times trying to figure out the problem, but no dice.. Unfortunately I made the decision to put my kandy kush in ffof because she was originally going to be a mother plant, but then I got anxious and decided to take a couple clones and flower her.. Now she's havin the same old problem's of before. I'm armed with calmag plus, flora nova nutes and ph down. I still cant stop the problem. Any Ideas?

I'd say go for it man, it doesn't take long to install em and you'll be really glad you did come harvest time. I've seen a major increase in yield since supplementing my 400W HPS with a mix of 2600k and 6500k cfl's. I use the 40w Super Saver ones from Lowes (40W actual use).. They have the highest lumen output per watt of any cfl I've found. If you get to lookin for em, they have a weird little glass tube running up the middle of the coil part of the cfl, cant miss it. I love em and wow did they fatten up the buds that were outta range of the hps. :smoking:

17. Hey Hz...I hear you on the browning issues with FFOF. During my last grow with Blueberry I ran into what sounds like the exact same issue as you, right around 4-5 weeks of flowering. To this day I'm still a little unsure as to the source of the problem. I think it was ultimately a soil pH issue because I found it to be rather low (~5-5.5), which was very surprising to me since I too am super anal about making sure everything I feed the plant is adjusted to 6.5-6.8. Fixing the soil pH certainly slowed down the leaf discoloration, but it didn't stop it. I bought some CalMag hoping a little of that would help as well, but it's hard to say how much of a difference it made. Looking at those abuse charts I have also considered manganese deficiency, but the FF Tiger Bloom I was using says it has manganese in it. Since so many people seem to have success with FFOF, I've always assumed the pH/nutrient problems during my last grow were from some isolated incident that I caused and not the soil itself. I'm a little discouraged to hear you having the same issues as I did though...I hope I don't run into the same problems again.

I think this time around I'll try adding some CalMag at the start of flowering and see if that helps prevent some of the issues we're seeing later in flowering. Plus I'll up the pH of my nutrient solutions to around 7.0 each time in hopes that that will little by little counter act any drop in soil pH as the flowering progresses.

18. nice im going to try and do that thanks for the info chief +rep