1st Grow... soil, CFL, HPS

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by The Green Bastard, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Hello everyone, I thought I'd document my first grow and post for some insight and suggestions as needed.

So here's what i got...

Temp = 70-75F
    Humidity = 40%-60%
    water - good soak every 2-4 days
    Nutrients - none added yet

Soil - Started in Miracle Grow for fruit and vegetables, time release... Transplanted into MG organic with perlite mixed in.

Flower Room Size = 5'x5'x5'
    1 200W CFL w/hood (2100k)
    1 400W HPS high output
    1 10" fan for air circulation
    2 50CFM bathroom fans for intake and exhaust (only running exhaust right now)

Veg Room Size = 5'x4'x5'
    6 T8 CFL's for my Veg Room
    1 ceramic heater to keep temperature
    1 8" Fan for air circulation

Strain - various bagseed (multiple sources)

I've been having problem after problem with this grow. First it was PH issues along with overwatering, then poor drainage, yesterday I realized they're starting to get rootbound.

They're going into their 4th week.

Attached Files:

2. Happy New Year Green Bastard, lol:D
    Man much props on the journal I am subscribed. do not worry, it is a good thing that they need larger pots, it means that you are doing good and they are growing. Good call on not adding nutes to the MG. I bet they will perk up and look real nice once you put them in larger pots. What size of pots are you going to transplant into?

3. I have 3 gallon grow bags on the way. They should be here within a week.

Today I'm going to LST the rest of the plants.

4. I bet you will like the grow bags.

5. I hope so. It cost about the same for 10 6M bags as it does for a single 3 gallon pot.

I just LST'd most of my plants. I have some problems creeping in. Anyone that wants to help can take a look here http://forum.grasscity.com/sick-pla...ink-i-have-multiple-problems.html#post6396041

Some plants are doing better than others but damn near every one is showing some sign of distress.

Ill post the good pics here.

Attached Files:

6. Sign of stress after LST is normal, this is without mention that they are stressed by the small pot (often a cause of slow growth and drooping)

7. Maybe I'm out of the red now. Problems with the leaves seem to have stopped or at least slowed to a crawl.

Plants seem to be growing better since my half-assed transplant. (I added about 1-2" of new soil to the bottom of each pot to help with drainage and buy me a week worth of new roots).

My week old seedlings are sprouted and the seeds I put in 2 days ago are starting to pop up as well.

Hopefully I'm back on track.

Attached Files:

8. Here's my new mutant plant with 4 starter leaves. She popped up yesterday and blew my mind.

[​IMG]

Where's a time machine when you need it? :eek:

9. Maybe the mutant is a time machine:eek:

10. so after a check today my plants are still showing some problems. I'm going to flush everything again.

My PH has been in check for at least 3 waterings (about 2 weeks).

Damn time release soil is killing my plants!

So now here's my plan...

spend 2 hours today flushing my babies
    wait a few days for them to dry out
    transplant into non time release soil when i switch to 3 gallon pots probably on Thursday.

I'll post some pics after my flush.

11. Dood, LST (Low Stress Training) this tech is desinged NOT to stress a plant, so why would "stress" after lst be normal?

12. #12 PrplHz, Jan 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2010
    I think there is a misunderstanding. There are many different methods of training a plant using stress. 4-way is one means, the stress in this scenario would be the pinching of the new growth. SCROG is another method. Do not let anyone tell you that cutting and pinching do not stress your plant. Cut your own arm and see if it stresses you out. Ya the plant has to heal when we cut and pinch them. Anytime a plant is injured it has to heal itself. This process takes the plants energy that would otherwise be spent on other growth instead of repair.
    I mean I smoke weed man I could be confused. :smoking:

13. Very true, when first LSTing my plants growth stalled for about 2 days. I assume this energy was put into strengthening the nodes as they now look like balls where they were trained. The plant had to put some serious energy into those nodes. Ill post some pics shortly an show you what i mean....

14. Yeah! I just checked my babies and they seem to be looking much better. I know its pretty early to tell but i swear they all shot up an inch since yesterday.

Every plant is between 8-12" tall.

I have attached pics of the nodes where I LST'd the plant. See how thick they got?

Also general pics of the garden, my favorite girl, new seedlings and "Lucy".

I feel proud again :D

Attached Files:

15. HIGH All, it looks like Lucy might Grow up to be Normal.

Nice Job on the LST grrower

16. well i think within the last week my plants have overcome major adversity. they all seem to be shooting up even with LST and although they show signs of moisture and PH stress it has slowed majorly.

i will veg until the middle of the month, then i think its time to let them go wild.

I wish i could tie them to the ground, i love making small plants!

c'mon Lucy, I know your my baby... aren't you?

17. I'm noticing a lot of new growth, plants are shooting up fast now.

here's todays pics

Attached Files:

18. They are looking good! Go Lucy Go!:D

19. Things are looking a little yellow again. Plants are a bit lighter in color and defs are still creeping along.

In an effort to save them I took 3 plants today and mixed up a half strength dose of fert and foliar fed them.

If the 3 test plants show improvement I will foliar feed the rest of them.... I HATE WAITING!

luckily, Lucy is still looking good.

20. Sorry to hear about yellowing.