My 1st DWC - 600watt - 4x4 Grow tent

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by mantis7, Dec 31, 2009.

1. #1 mantis7, Dec 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2010
    Hello,

I am pretty new here but seeing as how you all have been so kind and generous with your information, I figured I would try and pay it back.

I am going to use the 1st post as an updated page with the latest info about the status of my grow.

Latest Update: April 11 2010 PM

Details

• 3 x Sour Grapes Clones
    • DWC "Bubble Bucket" System
    • 600 Watt HPS
    • 4x4 Screen
    • 3 x 5 Gallon Plant Buckets
    • 1 x 5 gallon Res/Buffer/Conrol Bucket
    • netpots / hydroton
    • AN Nutes (3-part)
    • Zero Water system (ghetto rigged) for 0 ppm water (pics coming)

Last week of flowering or so, depending on Trich's

I ended up with 3 trees instead of a Scrog because this system grew my plants so fast, I was too lazy and unprepared!! It was amazing, I had some trouble adjusting to a hydropoinic system but now after one grow under my belt, I think next time will be excellent results.

Calendar / Timeline

Pre-veg

Jan 15th - Put some clones into 6" net pots under HPS (Day 1 of rooting / pre-veg)

Took 10 days to get the roots to pop-out of the net pots. I think I could speed this up next time.

Veg (Lights 24/0)

Jan 25th AM (Day 1)- Roots on 2 out of 3 clones are now sticking down into nute solution
    Jan 25th PM - 2/3 Plants look 100% happier with roots in the nutes (Day 1 of Veg?)
    Jan 26th PM (Day 2) all 3 plants roots poking down into nutes now!! The roots are looking white and sexy!
    Jan 29th Pm (Day 5) Everything chugging along, roots are getting bigger...I need to throw some nutes at the ladies today or tomorrow I think and get my screen put on soon.

Flower

I am a jackass and didnt track exactly when I started flowering...I went REALLLY long on veg because I was disorganized and lame. I believe they have been flowering for 7 weeks or so now...I am just going to go by the trichs which are still mostly clear at this point. I would guess 7-14 days b4 I harvest.

Feb,March -- I had some life issues and never got the screen put on! I ended up with 3 trees instead of a scrog, but oh well...I should be ready for next time.

April 10 Buds hairs are changing colors...Trichs are still clear tho....Waiting until I see some milky ones before I start flushing...

April 11 Added a close up shot of one of the buds (pic #4)

PIC(S): You can click on the pics to blow them up..Click on them again to blow up a second time.

1) First pic is right when they started to veg
    2) Second pic is all 4 buckets with some labels, blow it up to see the labels.
    3) Third Pic is with lights on during flower
    4) Fourth pic is right before Harvest..Blow this one up to see some trich gooeyness.

Attached Files:

2. #2 mantis7, Dec 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2010
    I wanted to use the 1st post as a general status update, so I will start on this second post with a little more details about what I am doing.

The Strain I am growing is "Sour Grapes" (Sour Diesel X Grape Ape)

Here are some of the details of what I have:

• 4x4 "Sun Hut" Grow tent
    • 600 Watt Super Eye Hortilux HPS
    • Radiant Reflector, 6" air cooled

• 6" Vortex Can Fan

I am doing a Scrog (my 1st Scrog) and will be using DWC (using Rumple's design). I am going to have 3 5 gallon pots and a 7 gallon reservoir.

I will be using the Lucas formula with Advanced Nutients or GH (I dont have my nutes yet)

I will post up some pics of the little girls in the next day or 2.

Any advice or comments welcome! As I have stated before this will be my 1st attempt at SCROG'ing so I am sure I will be able to help someone else through the making of my own errors...

I am so thankful for GC and all the blades who post up such informative stuff, that I thought I would give back.

3. Jan 15th - Day 1

Ok so it is 2 weeks later and I have made major progress, which hopefully I can post some pictures up in a couple hours.

One weird thing is that I didnt even notice till today, but I got the WRONG clones from the dispensary on accident LOL!!! I grabbed a strain called "Sour Grapes" instead of the "Pineapple Thai" that I had planted last time. HAHAHA..I had them sitting under cfl in stasis just waiting for my lazy ass to get the space ready for the last 2 weeks..Finally got them into the buckets today and just noticed I got the wrong ones.

The worst part about this is that I have done it before....What happened all the clones are on trays at the club..So I asked for the Pineapple thai, and he got the whole tray down from the shelf, and let me choose my baby girls...But what i did not realize was that there were other strains on the tray....So I picked the 3 best looking plants / ones I was attracted to...And all three happened to be "Sour Grapes."

I am just gonna roll with it, as this is a test run anyhow, I can't imagine Sour Diesel X Grape Ape being too bad...So we'll see...Maybe this is fate?

So, at this moment (I am going to call this Day 1 of Veg) I just finished cleaning the space out, installing the grow tent...Hanging the lights...Building the buckets...And putting the babies under the lights. It is fairly cool and so with the light on my temps are staying around 72 degrees so I am not running any ventilation yet, although I have a 6" can fan ready to rock.

For this test run I am doing 3 Grow Buckets + 1 Res

Pics coming later tonight of the setup and the babiez.

4. Here are some pics of my setup in progress:

* Note that the temps are steady at ~70ish so I have no need to air cool the reflector yet (I don't think?)

** Also the plants seem to be going into some kind of shock, leaves are curling a bit...I will make a post in sick plants thread. Any help or advice would be appreciated, I have a feeling this is due to over/under watering (level of the water below the net pots?) because I believe the PH (5.8-5.9) is in the correct range and the nutes I am using are very weak (~300 TDS) right now. It could be the switch from CFL to HPS as well...I am such a noob, any advice welcome!

I*** I am working on adding the reservoir now , should be up tonight but I may not make any updates for a couple of days as I am busy BUSY.

Attached Files:

5. I am sitting here searching for the same answer's. I put my sour diesel into net pots yesterday, washed hydroton, ro water, 400watt mh, 5ml per gal. of super thrive, 20ml per gal. of dyna gro liquid grow 7-9-5. my ph last night was between 5 & 6 ( stupid test paper!) my temps were 89 high, with lights on, 38% humidity, 75 degree lights off. fan lightly blowing 24/7.
    My baby stood straight up and curled inwards not tip to stem but rather leaf edge to leaf edge, with what looks like super fine holes in the leaves.
    This is only on one of the 12 I have in a 4x4 closet with these symptoms.:confused:
    Sorry if it sounds like I jus hyjacked ur thread!!! but sounds exactly the same.

6. Ok, some updates!!!

For the last week I have been worried beacuse the plants were yellowing and curling a little, but this was in part (i think) due to the fact they were still making roots.

Today I spotted a BEAUTIFUL thing!

I finally see roots poking out of the bottom of 2 out of the 3 net pots!!!

The ones which have the roots poking out into the nute solution INSTANTLY look tons better and got greener and stopped curling. Hopefully the last one will poke through today or tomorrow.

I almost wanna call today Day-1 of Vegging since truthfully they really werent vegging this last week they were making roots. I am going to do it differently next time, so that when I put them into the buckets they will already have a decent amount of roots...This time it was too much of a wait for me, as I am impatient! HAHA.

Anyhow, here are a few pics:

(The one close up pic of the net-pot you can see a little white root tail sticking down through the pot if you look REAAAAALY close

I am pretty excited, and soon I will have some updates (hopefully) showing some serious growth and then I will put the screen on.

Attached Files:

7. Looks to be a great grow journal, I am going to keep this subscribed for updates!

I will soon be putting some clones into buckets myself, and it seems like it might be better if the nutrient level was higher until the roots got down below the net pot, so I think that's what I'll do.

Thanks for sharing! :wave:

8. I totally agree!. I fiddled with it for a WHILE and actually (stupidly) lowered the water level at 1st, because the symptoms resembled over-watering....HAHAH....It wasn't until I raised the water level up above the nets pots that the roots started taking off!

Thanks for checking out my grow!!

9. hey dude im on my first DWC grow to, just doing the 1 bucket to see how it goes, the growth speed is f*cking amazing! also 1 thing id say is before the roots are coming out of the net pot have the water level just touching the bottom of the net pots this should help with the issue u had(well not really an issue lol) i found this lets them get enough water without them being soacked

anyway looks like a good grow dude, i prob missed it but what nutes u using just out of interest?

10. I know you have worked this out already, but the transition period was scary for me also for a couple of days. I had the same experience. They looked pretty unhappy until the roots hit the water. The really good news is that the bigger they get, the faster they grow (or so it seems). I swear I have a look 2 hours later and I can see a difference, lol. Good luck, I will be keeping an eye on your grow!

11. Looks good, nice and clean. Subscribed

12. #12 mantis7, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2010
    Update:

Roots are now poking out of all 3 net pots!! YAY!!!

Should be time to start some serious growth!

13. Thanks for checking out my grow, man!

Right now I am using Advanced Nutrient's 3-part system as my foundation @ about 300 PPM but as soon as they can handle it, I will be upping it and adding a couple other supplements. I got some Pirahna Powder (expensive!) and some "Plant Amp" (also expensive!) so we will see if that stuff does anything LOL. The plant amp I kind of need because it adds calcium and magnesium to the system, which I am lacking...but I have NO CLUE what the pirahna powder actually does LOL.

The guy at the hydro shop kinda sold me on the stuff, he has a 4x8 room and pulls a lot of yield from it, so I am hoping some of his mojo rubs off on me.

PS --> CannaClay and Sensi Thanks for checking out my grow!

14. oh cool nice1 m8, im using AN flora bloom & micro only as im using the lucas formula it cuts out the need for the AN flora grow, which is a bonus lol, the best thing is i've never had to test PH or EC levels after apart from when i change the water which i do just once 1 week apart from that its totally self suficent, im amazed at the growth my plant has had as i put it straight into 12/12

15. Cool! I was going to just do the Lucas but I ended up getting a really nice TDS and PH meter, so i figured I would try AN's formula. If it is too complicated, I'll probably end up just using the Micro & Bloom like you do. I may end up adding in some other junk (bud blood or something), cuz I am kind of a sucker LOL...

I am loving the DWC though! The roots are already growing now, reaching down into the water...

It is so fucking cool.

16. lol yea dude ur find a ton of roots within only a week like, ive have also been thinking about adding in some 'bud boosters' but im just going to let my first run go as is, so i got an idea of things, plus with my luck il prob cause problems lol, im my case i say if it aint broke dont fix it lol, & the growth i see is like the plant is on f*cking steriods already,

what the AN feeding formula like out of interest, is it complicated then? does it use much of the nutes?

PS dont forget when adding those boosters etc adjust ur nutes mix ppm's & all that so u dont over feed(im sure u know all that shit better than me lol)

17. AN has different formulas. They have a calculator here:

Advanced Nutrients - Nutrient Calculator

The thing with the calculator is that the PPM's are based on using alot of their additive products.

However, if you notice...it is actually pretty simple...During flowering, there basic set-up is 1:1:1. (One part Grow, one part Micro, One part Bloom). The rest of the stuff is added in and calculated into the PPMS for you. If you change to light/moderate etc..It will just change the target PPMs.

So to make a long story short, the most basic AN formula is 1:1:1 (Grow, Micro,Bloom).

They also have another formula they recommend called the 3,2,1 or 1,2,3 formula. That is just like it looks...During veg you use the 3-2-1 and then during flowering you use 1-2-3...and you have a 1-1-1 transition for a little bit during the 1st part of flower.

I am just using 1:1:1 right now, but I might switch to the 3-2-1 when the plants start drinking more. Either way I plan on keeping a close eye on the PPM's and raising them slowly up to maybe 1400 on week 4-5 or something.

I read somewhere that the 3-2-1 way was 'old school' or something but I dunno, it kind of makes sense...from what little I know. The one guy I know in real life (runs a hydro shop) does the 321, 123 way..and swears by it...so I figured I would check it out.

18. I bought a Truncheon nutrient meter and it arrived today. I spent about $60 on my ph meter and I don't like it. It could be me but calibrating it seems counter intuitive. So I spent more and got a bigger name for my TDS meter. I am going to go test it out now. The thing looks cool as hell but it is almost 2 feet long lol.

19. Oh shit!!!

You got the one I wanted I bet....Does it look like a long magic wand (blueish?) with like LED lights up and down it!! HAHAHAAH!!!

I want that one so badly!! It was over my budget (bout $125 if i remember right) but when I harvest it will be MINE!!!

/drool

20. Yea, exactly, a long blue magic wand with LED's. Though I found it for about $110. I don't understand this budget thing you are talking about though. Maybe that was what I stopped paying attention to about $500 ago...