ViperMan 1450w Organic BcSeeds grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by DirtyViperMan, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Hey guys, DirtyViperMan here. I was finally able to start a grow journal, so first let's discuss the basics. First I'm working with 450w pulse start 6500k metal halide in a home built 4'wX5'7'TX3'D. I have no in or outtake right now, it is too cold. I run an ocsillating fan on them for about 2 hours a day. I have several different strains going right now.

Seeds:
    New White Widow: BC Seeds I grew this strain outdoors last year. It went quite well, smells of maple syrup, pine and berries.
    Durban poison: BC Seeds
    I have worked with this strain for awhile now, been doing some inbreeding. I have a really nice mom that I have been cloning from for awhile now.
    El nina: BC Seeds
    Elephant outdoor: BC Seeds I have really high hopes for these. I like managing really big plants.
    Jack frost: BC Seeds
    AK X Kali mist: Kali Misty X AK47 BC Seeds I got these free last time. I have crossed them to the F2. Also have a strong mother. These are an amazing smoke, smell, and taste. Smells and tastes like tropical skittles and gets a really nice purple color.
    Love buzz: BC Seeds
    Thumper: (got free) BC Seeds
    White Demon: BC Seeds
    This girl is bad ass and really, really strong. She tastes like deisel that turns quickly sweet on the exhale then a really skunky after taste. The high is distorted, and time and space are more or less malleable.
    Yumbolt: (got free)
    I also have a Cheese and Northern light that I got from a club here.
    So here are a few pictures of the veg room I will put up more personal shot of each plant later.

Keep'em burnin
    DirtyViperMan

Attached Files:

2. #2 DirtyViperMan, Dec 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2009
    So next up is what I forgot in my last post, and the flowering room which is only at max 5 weeks of flowering. So nothing amazing yet, but they will be coming through soon enough.

95% of my girls are potted in Roots Organic. The last 2.5 plant are still in FFOF, and let me tell you that is the worst soil. It costs way too much, it compacts, and it creates dry pockets that never get watered.
    With the Roots, I mix in a quarter perlite, a quarter worm castings, 8-4-1 desert bat guano, crumbled alfalfa, bud swell 0-7-0, black rock phosphorus 0-4-0, kelp meal 1-.4-5, and greensand 0-0-3. Also, a tablespoon of lime and two tablespoons of sulfur.

Flowering room: I have my flowering room in a very large closet under 1000w Hps. The reason its in the closet is less space needs to be heated. If it gets too hot I can turn the fans on and vent it in minutes. Here are a few pictures of the over all garden. I will try to get some better ones with my finger not in the way.
    Keep'em burnin
    DirtyViperMan

Attached Files:

3. #3 DirtyViperMan, Dec 24, 2009
    This is a white widow that i have been testing a pinching method of training on. I'm training height and trying to create a competing cola. The real difficult task is trying to figure out how far above the main cola the side branch(s) need to be so they are not out performed/ stretched. The first few that i have tried this on have not been turning out as well as i have would have liked. I trained this one so that the side branch was even with the main branch. It is still in the early stages right now but i think the main cola is going out do the side branch.
    Keep'em burning
    DirtyViperMan

Attached Files:

4. #4 DirtyViperMan, Dec 24, 2009
    This is one of my Durban poisons that i pinched very early in its life, just as it was just starting to root after cloning. The lower side branch took the the lead for a while in its life. Then, towards the end of its vegging period, the main stem finally caught up with the the side branch and had to be pinched twice more to keep them even. But it looks like this girl is really going to be beautiful. Durban is by far one of my favorite plants and smokes. Not for potency, or the yields, but for the high and the elegance of the plant itself. The high is very up. You can smoke this all day and get tons of things done. It makes me so unbelievably happy, its kind of crazy. That shit turns me into a 10 year old kid in a hot minute.

Attached Files:

5. #5 DirtyViperMan, Dec 24, 2009
    This is my my old AKxKali mist mom that I had. This girl is in a 12g pot. I counted over 70 tops on her, very excited about her. I took these pictures just before watering so she looks more droopy than normal. She's always drooping, my lovely weeping willow. I got this girl free last time i ordered from BcSeeds. I must say i was very happy when i grew these ones out. The smell while growing is very sweet, like pineapple with a gasoline/musky over tone that is just intoxicating. She finishes in exactly 8 weeks which is nice considering this smokes like a pure Sativa. Also here's a couple of pictures of a piece of bud my gf gave a brazilian trim job to. This little twig went into flowering at 3 inches and finished at 11 inches. You can't really see it, but that bud is so sticky and resin coated.
    Keep'em burnin
    DirtyViperMan

Attached Files:

6. Nice bro, everything looks great. I noticed your aipots, what size are they? The plants all look fuckin awesome.

I feel you on the temps. Are you having to run heaters at night? My room gets damn cold without the lights on.

7. #7 DirtyViperMan, Dec 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2009
    No i dont run a heater. The temps drop to around 67 at night. The plants seem to deal with it fine. Yea i got several air pots i got 5 1g, 8 3g and 6 5g. I love my air pots they work a 100x better then regular pots. They suck up water and nutrients so much more efficiently.
    Thanks for the comment Iron.

8. #8 DirtyViperMan, Dec 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2009
    Here are some pictures of my White Widows outdoors last year. Went quite well, started them late so they wouldn't get too big. Had to backpack water up to these girls every two weeks.
    But the smoke was well worth it.
    Keep'em burnin
    DirtyViperMan

Attached Files:

9. #9 DirtyViperMan, Dec 27, 2009
    So this is a cutting from my friends Northern Lights. This thing has the closest internodes of any plant i have ever worked with. Believe it or not this was vegged for 2 months. it's just a little over a foot and a half tall. It's been flowering for about 2 weeks, and it has just started budding. I will get a fresh pic of that tomorrow. It has just started stretching. She's really started working on a main cola. It's going to be huge, "I hope".
    Keep'em burnin
    DirtyViperMan

Attached Files:

10. #10 DirtyViperMan, Dec 27, 2009
    After receiving a PM with some questions, I have some answers.
    So first off, the soil i'm using Roots Organics – Soil by Aurora Innovations. It is still in early phases of testing but so far I am quite happy with it. It has a habit of being a little slow in absorbing water, but once the top 3 inches are wet it starts to move much faster.
    I'm using MycoGrow™ Soluble, which is similar to Plant Success™ Tabs but is more concentrated, containing more spores and more species, plus other beneficial organisms. Consisting of powdered spore mass rather than tablets, MycoGrow™ Soluble is great for adding to rooting media or commercial potting soils. Sold in one pound and one ounce increments. An ounce is sufficient to treat 125–250 plants covering approximately 250 squ.
    As far as bug control goes I have a spray consisting of cayenne pepper, soap, canola oil, garlic, oregano, mint, lavender, sage, thyme, clove and rosemary. I also use parasitic nematodes to take care of thrip larvae.

I also add one tsp of hummates per pot. Also, every 4 waters or so I add 1.5 tbsp of molasses to every gallon.
    Keep'em burnin
    DirtyViperMan

11. #11 DirtyViperMan, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2009
    Got some new pictures. These lovely "ladys" are my outdoor elephants. They are going on 2 weeks old and up to 7 nodes. Well, use to be 7 nodes, the tallest one I just clipped so i could clone it and figure out boy or girl. I will get four really nice colas from that plant. No nutrients added, they are in just Roots soil.
    Keep'em burnin
    DirtyViperMan

Attached Files:

12. #12 DirtyViperMan, Dec 28, 2009
    These are my Durban family. There are seven girls there. I love these girls. The second and third pictures are of my tallest Durban. She's been vegging for going on 6 weeks. Once or twice a week I pinch her to promote more branching. I have pinched every internode, so it has been putting all its energy out to the sides. What I'm trying to show in the 3rd picture is that the second branch from the bottom is competing for main cola. The lighter shows the second branch, and just left of it is the main stalk.
    Keep'em burnin
    DirtyViperMan

Attached Files:

13. #13 DirtyViperMan, Dec 28, 2009
    So after many hours of staring at my girls I had an idea, possibly the best idea I have ever had. So my theory states: If you remove X amount of your grow tips without disturbing the leaves, then the plant will have the ability to gather more light from the leaves while lowering the overall height of all but the main grow tips. So in this case what I have done is removed all the grow tips from the top three quarters of the plant, leaving 6 grow tips at the very bottom of the plant. As you can see the plant has several large leaves gathering light, while only a few grow tips use the plant's energy. This way I'm able to cut a plant down a lot without losing all that leaf mass. This is in testing now in vegging. I also think, and will start testing this next weekend, that if you trim away all the grow tips that would generally give you popcorn bud the plant will divert all that energy and start producing really large colas. Also, since you're just trimming away the very small grow tip and leaving the leaves, the plant has more solar panels to make sugars to feed the buds. I am worried about two consequences.The first is stretch. By removing all the lower grow tips it will automatically force the remaining grow tips to grow faster and bigger. The second consequence is the unknown unknown. Those always worry me the most.
    Tell me what you think of this idea.
    Keep'em burnin
    DirtyViperMan

Attached Files:

14. #14 DirtyViperMan, Dec 28, 2009
    So this is just an overall shot of the flowering chamber. There are 10 plants in there right now, ranging from 6 weeks to just got put in there today.

Attached Files:

15. You reveal a new part of your grow with every update. What's next? Your airpotted plants look good. I like your little NL plant, have you flowered one of those before? What lights are you running in the flower room? What nutes you using right now.

Your idea sounds interesting, and I would have those exact concerns. What do you still have going outdoors?

16. #16 DirtyViperMan, Dec 29, 2009
    I haven't flowered the northern lights myself yet, but I did watch it grow outside last summer. Pretty leafy but very big dense buds. I'm running a 1000w HPS in the flowering room. Its in a 2x2 aircooled hood. My nutrients are all organic and OMRI certified: bat guano, Kelp meal, greensand, pigeon manure, rock phosphorus, and hummates. I premix all my nutrients into the soil prior to planting. I have a special mix for each plant based on their needs. It's a balancing act of having enough nutrients to feed for their entire life and but not too much so that it kills them while they are young.
    Keep'em burnin
    DirtyViperMan

17. #17 DirtyViperMan, Dec 30, 2009
    So this is the pinched widow in a 3g air pot. The two colas are really staying even so far. If i had a better camera I could should you guys that trichomes are already forming on the large fan leaves near the cola. This baby is only 4 weeks into flowering she still has another 5-6 weeks before she's ready to come down. Also, it's kind of fuzzy, but that's what the bottom of the air pot looks like after 6 weeks in it.
    Keep'em burnin
    DirtyViperMan

Attached Files:

18. #18 DirtyViperMan, Dec 30, 2009
    This is my fresh Widow going into flowering. I had several problems with her because of the damn fox farms soil, god I hate that stuff! It had calicum def., fixed that with some lime. 4 days later
    I had a Potassium def. and fixed that with a kelp meal/ molasses tea. Then everything looked fine for about 2 weeks. Then I had a massive phosphorus def., so I corrected it with Budswell 0-7-0 and Jamaican bat guano 1-10-1. It took a little longer for the guanos to take effect, so she has been vegging for a little over 3 months. She has been repotted 3 times and is now in a 5 gallon container with mainly roots soil and added greensand, kelp meal, Jamaican bat guano. Ph 6.7.

Attached Files:

19. #19 DirtyViperMan, Dec 30, 2009
    This is my split plant. As you can see the main cola is really out competing the side branch. So next time I know that I must get the side branch at least 3''-5'' taller than the main stalk. Anyhow, she is getting real crystally and starting to smell like tropical starburst.
    Keep'em burnin
    DirtyViperMan

Attached Files:

20. #20 DirtyViperMan, Dec 30, 2009
    This White widow has been flowering for a little over 6 weeks now, and still has about 3 to go. I flowered her at 1 foot 3 inches and she is now just 2 feet 9 inches. This girl is really sticky... really, really sticky. All the leaves are covered in trichomes which are still completely clear and not swollen at all. Back history: a week after putting her into flowering she started showing heavy signs of Potassium def. I fixed this with a kelp meal/molasses tea and then add 3 tbsp of greensand. She smells of maple syrup and pine.
    Keep'em burnin
    DirtyviperMan

Attached Files: