Pure Perlite Experimental Grow w/ Hempy Buckets

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Chickadie, Dec 12, 2009.

1. #1 Chickadie, Dec 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2010
    Okay, well I am going to leap into the deep end on this experimental grow. This is my 2nd grow, ever - my first grow is 3.5 weeks into the veg stage.

I will be using 100% perlite for this grow (and a sunleave super starter plug). I will be germinating in paper towels, and then place the seed (inside the start plug) into the 100% perlite hempy bucket.

I am using 1 De Sjamaan Ingemar's Punch seed, and 1 Widow/Skunk Hybrid Seed

They are going to start out in a temporary veg space with 5x 23-watt CFLs of 6500k CFLs. They will get moved into the permanent veg space with 10- 26watt CFLs 6500k 16,000 lumens, as soon as spaace becomes available (dreaded space!). I run my lights on a 19/5 schedule and maintain a temp of 78 degrees with a humidity of 50-60%.

I guess that's it for now.

JOURNAL GUIDE

12/12/2009 - Hempy Buckets Being Built (not a step-by-step guide) - Pics
    12/15/2009 - Tap Root Emerges - No pics

12/15/2009 - Hempy Buckets/Temp Setup - Pics!
    12/17/2009 - Update, Seedlings Emerge - No pics
    12/18/2009 - Update, No pics.
    12/20/2009 - update, no pics
    12/20/2009 - Pics
    12/21/2009 - Update (watered), no pics
    12/22/2009 - Update w/ Pics
    12/25/2009 - Update w/ Pics
    12/26/2009 - Update, no pics
    01/02/2010 - pics
    01/03/2010 - pics
    01/05/2010 - Update w/ Pics
    01/06/2010 - Update w/ Pics (moved into perm veg space)
    01/07/2010 - Update w/ Pics
    01/08/2010 - Update w/ Pics
    01/11/2010 - Update w/ Pics
    01/12/2010 - update w/ pics
    01/14/2010 - Update w/ Pics
    01/17/2010 - Update w/ pics
    01/18/2010 - Update w/ Pics (substantial growth)
    01/25/2010 - Update w/ Pics
    02/03/2010 - Update w/ Pics

2. Is this in a sealed or an unsealed area?

3. My veg space is not sealed, my flower space is... suggestions, comments?

4. I think having a sealed growing area is the best. This is just my personal opinion, from my experiences in the past. It seems much easier to regulate the temps,humidity,and levels of CO2. It also makes it very easy to get good air flow, seeing as with 1 fan air will be bouncing off of all walls. So if you can seal the veg area, I would suggest it. You won't regret it, with a sealed area you can also utilize your electricity output by reflecting all the light easier and more effectively. Reducing the amount of lumens lost. Hope that helps you some, I know due to some growing limitations people have it is hard to do this sometimes.

5. So far it has worked well for me in maintaing temps and humidity. I would like to get a 2nd tent, to be honest. But have to prove that the first once was worth it, first :)

6. Take a look at my setup, the EcoPlus fan I use is amazing and would probably suit well for you too. It only uses 90watts of power and it's a BEAST. Keeps my temps between 70-80 degrees with a 250watt hps about 6 inches away.

7. how do you keep the perlite in the pots? it floats .

I was flushing new perlite cuz it had MG nuts in it .
    most of it ended up on the ground

8. we shall find out! there will be drain holes on each of my containers/pots that allow water to escape 1-2" from the bottom of the container/pot. Water should not be over flowing from the top...

9. I need me a second tent too before I am fully perpetual.
    This should be interesting.. I'll stick around to see how things go. :)

10. Okay, I just got back from the store. I bought 2x 3.5-gallon buckets/pails (like for mopping). I used a dremmel tool to cut out 2x 1/2" holes about 2" above the bottom of each bucket. I then inserted a 1/2" plastic hose into each of the holes, and elevated the hempy buckets about 6" off the floor. I then took the 1/2" hose and placed them inside of another smaller bucket to catch the water overflow.

I think this will help considerably with keeping things clean.

I still need to run back to town to get some silicone to really ensure that the holes I cut in the bucket and the tubing inserted into those holes have a solid seal. I also need to put a mesh screen across the drainage hose to keep the water flow going, and the perlite from draining out through the tubes.

11. I think leaving the 2 inch without drain maybe a mistake. (never being able to drain seems wrong)

my buddy has something he calls it dirty/hydro .
    he has drains on the bottom but the bottom 2 inches of the cup is perlit.
    the rest is soil/perlit mix 60/40 or 50/50

the bottom tray he has a big pump in the lower tub (if the pump fails his room gets flooded)
    the water waterfalls to get o2

he has long roots like a head of blond hair coming out the the bottom of the big gulp cups.
    sitting in a 2600 gallon per hour flow

I just put a air stone under my pot in the oversize dip pan .

MY thing is Perlite Floats so it will want to lift out of the top when you add water (unless your going to have a top

12. this technique of leaving the 2" reservoir at the bottom is called a hempy bucket -- and it works.

The perlite will not hold any nutrients for the plants - therefore, the 2" reservoir at the bottom is the only way to provide controlled, constant, and consistent food to the plant.

13. I thought I'd throw up some pictures for you.

This one is a bit blurry- sorry about that
    [​IMG]

don't mind the clutter
    [​IMG]

red bucket is just a sample - won't be used in final applciation
    [​IMG]

14. Awe hell, steph's going hydro already!! Well you know I'm on board for this, good luck!

Hey Dale! Oh - I mean Rusty...

15. Good to have you for the ride, Ed!! Was hoping you'd join in.

Yep, Hydro - scary. I'm gonna head back to the hydro store today to pickup the grow big hydro bottle... apparently the big bloom and tiger bloom are good for both soil and hydro - which makes this a pretty inexpensive switch over. Of course, I'm also going to pickup some of the Sunleaves Super Starter Plugs.

16. these things are weird. i have been going back and forth between building a hempy or a bubble bucket. i have been watching 1000hz he has got this hempy shit down. but i have been growing in soil for years and i dont know what i will do yet. but i am leaning toward either a bubble bucket or bubble tote. but i have not made a comitment yet so this better be good steph!:p

17. I hope it's great!! My tent hasn't arrived yet (grr!) so all of the other plants are still in my veg space, boo!! I may have to do a 2nd make-shift veg space for the hempy buckets or a few of the other plants -- these guys aree at about 36 hours in the papertowels - so, they may be ready to plant after I get back from the hydro.

18. are both the tubes for drain... or is 1 to pump in other to drain?

19. They are both for drain. The plans call for a 1" hole, but since I already had 1/2" tubing - I just did 2x 1/2" holes.

20. This is pretty interesting so I'm pulling up a chair, rolling a fatty:smoking:, and kicking back for the ride. good luck.