Diesel Ryder / Poison Dwarf Mostly L.E.D Grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by broadside, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Hi folks. I have grown outdoors for a number of years but, for stealth reasons, have never grown indoors. The introduction of led and cfl lighting has made an indoor grow attractive to me and, since my summer pot is already running low, I thought I'd give it a go. As my other love is Photography I decided a grow diary would be a way of combining my hobbies. Please be patient with me because I can be a bit obsessive and will end up boring everyone with loads of photos - I just love the colours these leds produce although it confuses the hell out of my camera!

I realise all the arguments against this kind of lighting setup but this is the way I've decided to go so please don't flame me for not using sodium or m/h bulbs.

Grow Area

Closet about 790 x 400mm x about 1500mm height

Lights

1 x 50w Red/Blue cheap ebay UFO led.
    1 x 90w Red/Blue/Orange cheap ebay UFO led.
    2 x 30w Low Energy Daylight CFL (6400k)
    1 x 100w Infra-red Reptile bulb

more to come.

Seeds

5 x Diesel Ryder feminized auto's
    5 x Poison Dwarf (my own seeds from my summer outdoor grow)

Medium

Jiffy Pellets
    John Innes No. 2

Germination

Soaked seeds overnight then planted in Jiffy pellets. Couple of days later all the Diesel Ryders have popped up.

• Like Like x 1
  2. #2 broadside, Nov 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2009
    Day 1

[​IMG]

All the Diesel Ryder germinated + 1 Poison Dwarf​

3. Day 2

[​IMG]

One more Poison Dwarf

[​IMG]

Diesel Ryder - Day 2

4. Day 3

[​IMG]

The Diesel Ryders are feminized and the roots are already coming out the Jiffy plugs so I planted them into 6.5lt pots. I intend to grow the Poison Dwarfs in 5" pots as there's bound to be a male in there and I only have room for eight pots. I hope so as I would like to get a few seeds along the way.

[​IMG]

Diesel Ryder - Day 3​

5. Day 5

[​IMG]

Added the two daylight cfls and a 100w infra-red bulb for heat and I want the plants to have infra-red light.

[​IMG]

Deisel Ryder - Day 5​

6. Day 6

[​IMG]

Deisel Ryder - Day 6

[​IMG]

Poison Dwarf - Day 6 One seed failed to germinate so there are now four Poison Dwarfs, all about the same size as this - much smaller and slower than the Diesel Ryders.​

7. Day 7

[​IMG]

Poison Dwarf - Day 7

[​IMG]

Diesel Ryder - Day 7​

One week old today - still waiting on some more lights.

8. Day 8

[​IMG]

Diesel Ryder - Day 8

[​IMG]

Poison Dwarf - Day 8

[​IMG]

This Poison Dwarf is turning out to be something of a mutant! As you can see, its growing a secondary stalk right from the base. I hope it grows OK and its a girl. [​IMG] To be honest there is a debate as to the parentage of the Poison Dwarfs (Scandal!!) Although I pollinated them myself from a Poison Dwarf male there were a couple of jack-the lad AK47 x Blueberry and AK47 x Hindu Kush boys not far enough away so who knows what they really are. Should be interesting.

9. #9 broadside, Nov 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2009
    Day 9

I've added a few more lights so now there is:-

2 x Energy Saving 18-Led purple/UV Spot Light Bulbs

I have no real idea about these UV bulbs. I bought them direct from Hong Kong via ebay. I searched for UV led and these were the only return. No specs but they do give off a purple glow. You can just see one of them in the top left of the photo below, next to the infra-red light. I plan to have a wide spectrum of lighting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Diesel Ryder - Day 9

[​IMG]

The interesting mutant Poison Dwarf - Day 9

That brings this grow diary to real-time. Today is Day 9

Please forgive the length of the post.

Advice and constructive criticism would be welcome.

10. I've improvised a temporary curtain. Probably of no use but its at least pretty. A better curtain is under construction.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8ZQuFppIOg"]YouTube - P1000285.MOV[/ame]

11. Well nobody's said anything but I can see a few people have had a look so I will carry on regardless. :)

Day 10

[​IMG]

I added a couple more CFLs - Warm White (2700k) so I moved things round a touch and now the lights are:-

2 x 30w Loe Energy Warm White CFL (2700k)
    1 x Energy Saving 18-Led purple/UV Spot Light Bulb​

[​IMG]

Another view of the grow area - note the difference in colour between the bulbs.
    Modern cameras are wonderful.​

[​IMG]

Diesel Ryder - Day 10

[​IMG]

Poison Dwarf (Runt of the Litter) - Day 10

[​IMG]

Poison Dwarf (Best) - Day 10

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the mutant "head" shoot seems to be withering away. Shame, I was about to christen it Zaphod.​

12. i like the LED setup. I personallly have a buncha CFLs that im gonna use.
    How much do the LEDs cost you?
    and what kind of soil did you transplant the seedlings into??
    are you going organic?
    besides that, ill be checking back.. This looks good.

I was kinda hoping to see how Zaphod would turn out. haha

13. Hey there,

Nice setup you got going there. :)

I'm curious to see how the LED does. I know they are coming a long way (not sure the UFO's are utilizing the latest in technology yet) with LED, there is a local guy (Ventura) developing one right now that is looking very promising. I'm not sold yet though..would hate to try them in my room and have a disaster with 50 plants...lol.

Subscribed :D

14. #16 broadside, Nov 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2009
    Thanks folks for visiting.

The 90w triband UFO cost me $140 and the 50w UFO $115. I have a few more led's to come.
    The soil is John Innes No. 2 which I'm pretty sure isn't organic but I don't suppose I'll be using much fertilizer.

I know what you mean. Every seller of led grow lights claims their combination of colours are the best. I've seen very expensive Dutch grow lights that include infra-red and uv light so I decided to add supplementary lights to include these spectrums and see what happens. :)

Day 11

[​IMG]

Poison Dwarf - Day 11 (Zaphod)

Although Zaphod's second head is shriveling up I still think this is the most interesting of the Poison Dwarfs.​

[​IMG]

Diesel Ryder - Day 11

The Diesels are coming along a treat - short and compact.​

:wave:

15. Looks excellent man im growing diesel ryder as well with cfl's though what color led is best for flowering?

16. #18 broadside, Nov 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2009

It's the red ones for flowering so they say.This is my first led grow so I don't know what to expect, although my hopes are high. :)

I've been following your grow. Best of luck

17. good luck everyone! :] ive been looking at dwarves n autos for a while now, still lurking before my first grow...DEF gonna be an AF strain..probably Diesel Ryder if I can find seeds..or poison dwarf or easy ryder....GOOD LUCK ILL BE TOONIN IN!

18. nice plants dude