Easy Ryder - First Ever Grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by momo, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Right, thought I'd post some pics and get advice as to whether the plants are going OK? This is an Easy Ryder Joint Dr grow, my first ever!

Details of grow;

250w HPS lights
    DR60 grow tent
    RVK extraction fan
    Passive intakes
    3 Easy Ryder feminised seeds
    1 osc fan
    Carbon Filter
    1 mini fogger for humidity
    Homemade Co2 (Only went in yesterday)

Right today is 9 days after the seedlings broke the surface of the soil I planted them in. They were previously in those little plastic cups but I transplanted the one in the brown pot 3 days ago and the other two 2 days ago...was scared of getting rootbound and slowing growth on this quick to mature plant.

I had problems initially with heat being low 30 degrees c and having 0% humidity hence the humidifier which has really helped (constant 35-50% now) and it helped bring the temp down a couple of degrees to a max now of about 28/29. I have only given them a little Canna Rhizotonic after transplanting and their first dose of BioBizz Grow today (weak dose however)

For day 9 I think they're going well, anyone else with comments on them? More pics to come! I think I may run into space problems later on (maybe DR80 could have been accomodated) especially as they branch out and fill that grow space. I'm hoping for a solid ounce dry of each baby, anything more is a bonus as this is just to supply me and the wife.

Anyway comments or questions much appreciated, any weaknesses in my set-up people see? I love this planting lark, real sense of achievement seeing something grow, I hope the smoke is better than anything I've had before also. Just as a side question does anyone know what I can expect to get in weight of trim from 3 of these? I'm definitley going to be making some cannabutter I think :D

UPDATE: I copied this post from where I posted it originally in littlegreenmans grow diary. Starting my own so will upload some pics when lights come back on this afternoon. I'm now on Day 11 from when seeds popped out of soil.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      39.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      82.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      63 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      50.8 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      103.7 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      100.8 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      77.3 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      69.9 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      65.5 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      75.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Few extra pics from Day 9.

Day 11 pics coming soon, I have seen some significant growth in just 2 days, I think the light dose of grow nutes may have helped. Pretty pleased so far.

Attached Files:

• 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      65.2 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      79.3 KB
      Views:
  3. Plants are looking healthy. The stalks looks strong too. Will look forward to the conclusion. :)

4. Right Day 11 Pictures!

Haven't done anything with my babies since last update, soil is still moist, maybe tomorrow or Monday I will water again with a low dose of grow nutes as they seemed to like the last bit and are looking healthy?

I'm rotating the plants as being near the back of the tent seems to help them, not sure if this is becuase they're closer to the homemade CO2 bottle or whether the light is slightly stronger there.

Keep the feedback coming, any improvements I can make, maybe try and get the lights closer??

Attached Files:

5. Couple more pics

Attached Files:

6. sweet cant wait to see how they turn out

7. Some Day 13 Pics

Nothing much to report, all 3 look fairly healthy and the stems seem to be getting chunkier. I hadn't watered them in 3 days so gave them a watering with 2ml per 1 litre of bio bizz grow nutes and a tsp of molasses for about 5 litres of water.

The one at the back right as you look seems to be the tallest of the 3 with the others lagging slightly behind.

Anyone else have experience growing these easyryders? How do I look in terms of growing schedule, ahead of the game or about normal for 13 days?

Comments, feedback always appreciated.

Attached Files:

8. Right another update - Day 15 pics

Not much too report except they are growing daily, I think there might be a hint of flowering in one of the plants and I don't know if I'm imagining it but when I put my nose to them or feel their leaves and smell my fingers it smells of weeeeddd, mmmm.

Anyone else think that they can see some hairs?

Will be watering again on prob Friday or Saturday. Comments welcome.

Attached Files:

9. Couple more pics from day 15

Attached Files:

10. Day 17 pictures.

I've taken a few close ups with my jewellers loupe to what I think might be the first signs of female hairs? Any experienced growers on here reckon these are fems? (Should be as they're feminised seeds but I'm hoping theres no hermies)?

They are growing every day now it's so exciting! I'm a little worried about their height as although they're getting out of the pots now how much taller will they grow in the next 5-6 weeks? The leaves look fairly green and the stalks are strong, anyone had experience with ER's?

If I want to increase yield is it worthwhile moving lights further away to stretch them or is it all about giving them as much light intensity as possible? If anyone see's anything bad going on please let me know, these bad boys have got to last me a few months hopefully so want everything to go fairly well for my first grow.

Attached Files:

11. More Day 17 pics

Attached Files:

12. Oh one more thing, I think I should have put more soil in the pots when I transplanted, as you can see the soil is below the lines on the pots a fair bit. As a first time grower I didn't realise that adding the water kind of compacts the soil a little! (Doh) Anxious of getting root bound plants so was thinking of an easy way round the problem (if it is a problem)

Would it be in anyway useful to add more soil on top to the line as long as I stay below the leaf line? I was thinking this may help but I guess the roots are already way down under the soil and adding dirt on top won't really help?

The other possibility would be to perhaps transplant the smallest brown pot into one of the larger black pots making sure I put more soil in this time. Would this be worth the hassle or shall I let them be?? It's all about the yield really. Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

Cheers
    M

13. hows that new dark room product treating you ? ive been wondering about it cause i always use clone boxes

14. Hydroton - It's a good little product, my first grow so nothing to compare it to, but I was looking into making a grow closet but the hassle of cutting holes and stuff, especially as I don't have tools was too much hassle.

Mines a DR 60, dead easy to set up and use and the built in vents and reflectivity can only be good. I could have gone for a DR80 which would give me a lot more height and flexibility however the width would have made it a very tight squeeze in my closet.

I could have set things up a little more organised to start with but I was in a rush to get a grow going...nearly a month without a smoke now! Next time I'll make sure all is rosey. As I'm only growing easy ryders I'm hoping there will be enough room, height I think I'll be OK but looknig at some pics online they do get quite bushy.

What sort of plants are you growing?

15. Day 19

Gave them a watering tonight with the fist dose of bloom nutes as I think they are showing the first signs of flowering. I gave a light dose of bloom, 1 tsp of molasses per gallon and a tiny amount of grow nutes.

They are really growing daily at the moment with hairs popping up. The brown pot plant seems to be a slightly different pheno as it's a lot more compact and bushy with the other two a bit branchier and wider. Not sure which one will turn out best, the bushy one seems to have more advanced branching at the moment.

The pictures are a bit rubbish, it's hard getting in there with the loupe, took some more pics of them all in the picture to give you an idea of the vertical growth.

Feedback appreciated as this is all new to me :confused:

Attached Files:

16. Look at those little hairs! I love it when the plants finally show. I am growing some blueryder, and they showed around day 18-19. I wish you the best of luck on your grow, ill be checking on it, looks interesting.

17. Hey momo,

Nice looking grow-- thanks for sharing the pics. I'm about to pick up a DR60 and am wondering how many auto plants will fit. Are you planning on LSTing or using other methods to keep it short?

My first grow is in progress, an auto Lowryder#2 and a Super Lemon Haze. They're both in 5 gallon buckets and at around 44 days from seed they're outgrowing the 3 ft wide x 2 ft deep x 5 ft tall box.

The LR2 is much bigger than I was expecting, it's about 18" from the bucket rim and more than 24" wide. It's smashing up against the wall on one side and the Lemon Haze on the other.

My friend is growing the same LR2 from the same order but using smaller pots (2 gal). We're using the same soil (FFOF) and lights (130w CFL on each plant). His plants are much smaller, which makes sense given the pot sizes, but I'm wondering what this means in terms of yield. Is it better to grow 2 or 3 smaller plants, or 1 bigger one?

I just sprouted an Easy Ryder and it will go into the DR60 when the LR2 is done, so I'll definitely be following your grow. Hope everything works out great for you.

Pic: LR2 on left, SLH on right.

Attached Files:

18. Hey Mystic,

As it's my first grow and from what I've read there's not too much use in LST'ing the ER's, would love to see some real life examples where that works.

That Lowryder of yours looks great, but like you say I don't think you could get many pots that size in a DR60 so it's all about one big ER or 3 smaller ones. I would guess although I have no experience that yield wise you will probably get more out of 3 smaller ER's than 1 big one. I'm using 2 just over 2 gallon pots (black ones) and one 2 gallon pot. I wish I'd filled them to the brim as they're a bit low within the pots and from what I've read these lowryders and crosses shoot down and out with their roots.

Like you've shown I was worried about my DR 60 and having 3 plants in there that they will fill out and squash everything, I think I maybe just OK, I'll keep on posting the pics to see how cramped it gets in there. I know how useful pics can be so feel free to ask any questions as we go along. Have you got a grow diary going? I'd love to see what you pull of the LR and SLH.

Thanks for the good luck, really hoping I can pull of an Oz or more per plant...I've got a lot of holiday booked for Dec so will puffing a fair bit and need some supplies :smoking:

M

19. WHATS UP MOMO!

sick grow! i remember when my babies were that small (last week:hello:). now they are twice as big and full of hairs! I'll be here to give you any advice you need.

momo and mystic I did do LST on one of my dieselryders, it didnt' do much besides slow the growth. tried it for 3 weeks then i bailed. took the pins out now she is straightening up. LST just isn't a good idea with autoflower/lowlife plants!

good to see your grow though momo, i'll be watchin this one.

20. Ah yes, momo, good point about LSTing and ERs. I've been reading so many threads and journals that my brain is melting down with information overload.

I'm leaning this way too. If I can get more seeds I'll do at least 2 ERs.

This is the reason I transplanted from 2 to 5 gallon pots- the roots were streaming out the bottom holes and I wasn't sure if becoming root-bound was an issue. Still not sure, actually-- I wonder how to keep the pots small and avoid root binding. Time for more research.

With your 250w HPS, even if the plants are crowded maybe the light will be strong enough to penetrate through the overlapping foilage.

Thanks momo-- it's kind of you to help. I'm interested in your nutes- I fed both of my plants with about 1/4 strength Fox Farms Grow Big around week 4 and they didn't like it... burned leaves, some of the LR2 pistils turned brown and died, etc. Fortunately a good flush helped them recover, but now I'm reluctant to feed again, and just about everything I've read says that they need nutes during flowering, so.... not sure what to do. Maybe I'll try some Tiger Bloom at 1/70 strength or something:D

No grow diary yet but maybe I'll start one up soon. I'm curious about the yield too-- to be honest, I wasn't expecting them to even make it this far, so anything would be a bonus.

I'm sure you'll get that oz per by holiday, those HPS lights are awesome. Stay loose.