Lemon Haze & Critical Mass DWC SCROG in Closet

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Budley, Sep 2, 2009.

1. #1 Budley, Sep 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2010

Lemon Haze - Critical Mass- DWC Scrog Closet Grow

This thread starts growing Purple something in a small closet in dirt then on to White Widow, Blue Widow, Blue Hash, Power Kush and Killowatt. (Blue Widow was awesome) The current grow is a DWC (Deep water culture) SCROG (Screen of green) with Critical Mass and Lemon Haze using General Hydroponics nutrients (Lucas formula). Lights are Two 90W LEDS and a 600W HPS.

Starting a new grow. This will be one feminized seeds of Blue Widow, White Widow, Blue Hash, Power Kush and 2 Killa-Watts. I'm starting them in an Aerogarden while my last grow is finishing up in the closet. I'm thinking 3-4 weeks in the Aerogarden and then they will go into dirt in the closet and switch to 12/12. I'll be using Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil and the Fox Farm line of nutrients and solubles. The lights are (2) 90W LED 3rd Gen UFOs and a 150W HPS and possibly added CFLs if needed. I have a 1000W HPS that I need a hood and cord for, and that may go in later in the grow. They will be grown in the closet after initial vegging in the Aerogarden. The closet has Mylar walls, 4" intake from the crawl and a HTG carbon filter exhaust into the attic. I have a grow finishing up in there now. Just harvested my first lowrider and have some friend recommended plants called "purple something" that I'm guessing are a month out or so, but really have no idea.

To germinate the seeds I marked a paper towel so I'd know which seed was which and then sprayed it, folded it, put it in zip lock and then a folded piece of vinyl to keep the light out. Then I set it in the grow closet to get it nice and warm. Within 48 hours all 6 seeds had a tap root from 1/4" to 1" and were ready to go. I put them in rockwook cubes in the Aerogarden this morning. They get no added nutrients and the ph will remain at 5.80 the entire time they are in the Aerogarden. :smoking:
    HTML:

Attached Files:

2. They all sprouted, but the White Widow had some seed problems and it was touch and go, but I think shes going to make it!

This is day 3 since they sprouted. :smoking:

Attached Files:

3. #3 Budley, Sep 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2009
    These pics are from two days ago. Found spider mites today, but didn't take any more pics. Sprayed with Einstein Oil and a little soap and trimmed off the lower buds and branches that were infested and dying!

Attached Files:

4. Looking good Budley! Reading your thread is really helpful to me. Keep up the good grow! I do have a question. Are you using the LED's for veg or bloom? I just bought a UFO and my friend is saying don't use it for bloom cause it will make them male! He's really pissing me off! Any insite?

5. Thanks Allgood!

I am no expert, but I have spent many hours reading this forum and many others as well as books and other stuff and feel like I know a ton, but I'm still a relative noob, so take what I say with that in mind lol.
    I have used the LEDs through out the grow. They produced tight nodes in veg and supplemented with the little HPS in there I've heard they'll make big tight buds. I've never heard of anyone's turning male on them from leds and I've seen several finished 90W and higher LED grows that used nothing but LEDs and produce really nice buds with none switching to male, so I think your friend has some misinformation. Stress or light leaks when the plants are supposed to be in dark are reasons plants can turn male, so maybe he just thought it was the LEDs that did it when it was really something else? At any rate I hope mine don't turn male lol. Keep coming by and we'll see soon! :smoke:

Here are pics from today. I can only see the tops on the buds in the back, but put the camera back there and got a couple pics. They look like the best buds on the entire grow, probably because they haven't been close enough for me to fuck with lol. The Purples are the ones that are budding and they were born about June 1st and went into 12/12 about a month or 5 weeks old and are currently being treated for spider mites. I'm thinking another month to go, but its been taking longer than typical and I don't know this strain so it could be shorter or even longer. The starts in the Aerogarden are the white widow, blue hash, etc. They sprouted about a week and a half ago and are looking good. The blue widow on the back right had some problems getting the tap root to go in the right direction so is a little stunted. It has good roots in the reservoir now though so it should start growing more foliage soon I hope! :smoke:

Attached Files:

6. Dude, you are very helpful with your responses!

I believe you're right about my friend's experience. He was growing by the furnace (for co2 benefits he says). I've seen his set-up and its not very well put together to safeguard against the things you mentioned.
    Never mind him. The cabinet I'm making will be the shit! I wanted to use the ufo's to keep the heat down. I see you're using a 150wHPS with the led's, maybe I will do the same cause your results so far are looking good. Either that or I will use fluorecents for vegging and the UFO's for bloom. I want to attach this pic of my ebb and flow prototype but don't know how yet! When I figure it out i will post it.

7. Ok. It's not complete yet but here it it is.

Attached Files:

8. Thats looking cool. Post more pics of it as you build it if you take some.

Here are the latest pics. New plants are growing well :smoke:

Attached Files:

9. very cool grow +rep
    Are you happy with your 150w HPS? or would you recommend multiple 2700k CFL's? I'm bout to do a UFO grow.

10. Thanks man!

I actually have several CFL's in addition to the HPS and the 2 UFO LEDs. I had alot more CFL's before I got the HPS and I think the HPS is way better. The plants love it and there isn't as many cords hanging around and filling up the power bar. I'm going to get a bigger HPS I think after seeing how well the plants like this one and hope I can keep the heat nder control. :smoke:

11. The purples, are not looking very purple lol. Either there not a purple strain afterall or they don't turn til the last minute. Here are some pics.

If anyone has any guess how long til there done and how much yield there will be post your guess!

The new strains in the Aerogarden are doing good, a little too good. Roots are healthy and growing together some and will be tangled by the time I harvest the purples and put these in soil in the closet if I have to wait too much longer.

Here are todays pics :smoke:

Attached Files:

12. Budley what are your seedlings in in pic one?

13. Its an Aerogarden Deluxe. Its great for starting or cloning plants, but not really big enough to grow them all the way. Its got about a 1 gallon reservoir. I got it originally to grow and realized it was too small and switched to dirt while I get my hydro stuff together. I did grow one lowrider from start to finish in it though. :smoke:

14. Those little disc things are so friggin cute!

15. LOL, yeah those come with the Aerogarden. Can't wait to see them bursting from a big pot tree trunk! :smoke:

16. Yeah I know right! :)

17. What's up Budley! Looks like you're kickin' some ass! Just about finish with my cabinet construction. Will have some pics to share by the end of next week. I'm also changing my hydro setup. Bought this book " Marijuana New School Indoor Cultivation". Found out that i can maximize my space better with a flood table setup. How big is your closet and how many ladies can you fit in there? Your experiences are very helpful. A book can only tell you so much.

18. Hey Allgood,

Thanks for the post. Looking forward to seeing your setup, sounds like it will be pretty sweet! I am actually working on getting a flood setup going to. I got a pump, reservoir and the tray, but it turns out its about an inch too big for my closet! I'm going to get some tin snips or something and make it fit though, but meanwhile I'm going to stick to dirt through the end of this new grow. My closet is pretty small, less than 4' wide and I think its 18" deep, but its 7' tall including the upper shelve where my carbon scrubber is. You can see it is pretty crowded with just 4 plants, but I am doing 6 this time. 5 of these new 6 plants are pure Indica so I'm not going to LST them and see if it gets me more room around the sides. The Power Kush is a sative mix so that one I will let bush. I topped it yesterday.

I took the starts out of the Aerogarden yesterday and put them in gallon bags of FFOF. They are now about 3 1/2 weeks since sprout. They were getting too big in the Aerogarden and the roots were growing around each other and the airstones so I need to transplant them asap. The Power Kush was getting so big I went ahead and put it in a 3 gallon bag and its in the closet on 12/12 already! It was really wilty after transplanting, but today appears fine.

Here are some of pics we took yesterday. The middle ones are the buds in the back that we can't see and they look like some of the best! :smoking:

19. Oops forgot to click upload! Here are the pics! :smoking:

Attached Files:

20. Here's a couple more pics. The Killa-Watts, White and Blue Widow, Blue Hash are in the one gallon bags and looking good. The Power Kush is doing ok, but not getting great light right now. I didn't take a pic of it. The purples or whatever they are are coming along. I'm anxiously watching the trichomes. They seem to be bulking up and I'm hoping to see them get alot fatter before harvest. Theres 4 plants born about the 1st of June and flowering about 8 weeks +/- now. Was told they were purple something, but they haven't turned purple, so I don't know. Any estimates of yield anyone?

Attached Files: