Mixed Strain Grow - Purple Snow, Northern Lights x Big Bud, BRAD

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by calicheese23, Jul 30, 2009.

1. #1 calicheese23, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2009
    Alright so this is my 3rd grow.I have a 600w HPS with a LumenMax reflector. 9 clones and 3 small fans. All sitting on a blue tarp and in a spare bedroom. Light cycle is currently 24hours.

Okay these babies were transplanted last Friday (July 24th) into 3 gallon pots of Happy Frog. The back row (left to right) is BRAD,BRAD and Northern Lights X Big Bud. The middle row is Purple Snow, Purple Snow, and BRAD. The front row is Northern Lights x Big Bud, BRAD, and Purple Snow. (See Pic 1)

So 4 BRAD, 2 Northern Lights x Big Bud, and 3 Purple Snow. I decided to try growing different strains this round so I could get a better idea of what to grow my next go around.

Just yesterday I started noticing some yellowing on the older leaves and some purple stems. (See Pics 2, 3, 4, 5) Today I added some nutes to the soil even though I was really reluctant to as they have not even been in HF for a whole week! I added 1ml Botanicare Cal-Mg, 5ml Botanicare Liquid Karma, and 5ml Botanicare Aquasheild. I also sprayed them with Organicide.

I have two questions though.

1.Are the yellow leaves and purple stems a result from transplanting or nutrients?

2.How can I grow an Indica and Sativa strain at the same time?

Already I am having problems with the Northern Lights and BRAD. They are showing some signs of heat stress but I don't want to raise the light any more because the indicas are still pretty short.

I was thinking of maybe trying to raise the indica pots so they are higher or topping the sativa off during veg...I really have no clue though.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out with these problems and/or offer advice on how to improve my grow-room and crop:D

I will be buying a grow tent in the next few weeks (fingers crossed) and will move the plants into the hut at the beginning of flowering.

I will post updates every other day or so.

Attached Files:

2. Hey man Wthe name purple snow caught my eye I can't wait to see how that one turns out, I'll be following along. I wish I could offer some advice on your plants but I'm yet to even start my grow I'm still doing research and thats is far as its going for a few weeks intill i move.

3. #3 calicheese23, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2009
    Ya I'm excited about the purple snow. Goodluck on your grow:smoking:

Also I decided to get bricks and place them under the smaller plants and raise the light a bit.

4. Are you vegging with a HPS? I dont think thats the ideal light for veg.

5. #5 calicheese23, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2009
    Yes vegging with HPS. It is not ideal but it can be done. MH emits a different light spectrum ideal for vegetative growth but the plants are still drawing plenty of light from the HPS. I will be investing in a MH eventually :)

6. #6 calicheese23, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2009
    Still haven't picked up the bricks yet to raise the smaller plants but I did raise the light and adjust the fan positions so that one fan is blowing out the grow room door.

I also added a 2 liter bottle with sugar, water, and yeast to add some CO2 to the room. I also put a bowl of water in the room to add some humidity to the room as the temps are pretty high.

I have to go pick up a new thermometer sometime soon but I found out it is between 80-95 F near the top of the plants. So I'm going to try to figure out a way to get the room cooled down a bit until I get exhaust, filter and fan.

Edit: Just got back from the store and picked up a few things and moved around the room a little bit.

Moved the purple snow up to the front row and placed them on bricks. I also moved the light up so that is about 3ft above the plants. I moved the fan so that more air flows over the purple snow. They are starting to look better and I'm thinking they will probably be green and fine in a day or two.

Also I'm switching the light cycle to 18/6 so that I can let the light cool down during the day.

In the pics you can see that the middle lady is looking weird but she is just being blown around a little bit in the pic:D

The 2 liter with yeast, sugar, water is over next to the fan on the right. And the water bowl to raise humidity is next to the fan on the left.

Attached Files:

7. hey calicheese did you ever finish up on this grow?

8. ahh i bet this turned out to be a nice grow :smoke: