5x5 Closet grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by dred420, Jul 20, 2009.

1. This is my First indoor grow. I grew some bagseed a couple years ago outdoor. Out of three seeds 1 was female. It ended up turning purple, and was very good smoke, for bagseed. I also handled with care, Flushed, and cured it properly. Outdoors was easy and cheap, but can only be pulled off durring the summer months so I decided to grow Indoors with, my favorite local strains. I didnt want to deal with seeds that could end up as males so i started out with 1, inch tall cuttings, from a local dispensary/co-op, and a few clones from a friend of mine.

I started the plants under CFL's, and couple aquarium/plant spectrum tubes. I gutted an old foot locker, to veg the clones in, while I started constructing my closet. Due to this being my first indoor attempt, i decided to go with 400 watts of HPS, and CFL's for lighting.

at 2 1/2 weeks i stuck the clones into the closet and started feeding 3 of the plants foxfarm GrowBig (6-4-4), and feeding the 2 other plants Flora Nova: Grow (7-4-10) at half strength. at 3 1/2 weeks I uped the feed to almost full strength, and at 4 1/2 I flushed, and at 5 weeks stated full strength feeding. I am using the 2 different fertz as a test/experiment to see which works better. Each of the different groups consist of one mostly indica strain and once mostly sativa strain. the lights are set to 18/6. I am also foliar feeding with VHO , 1 minut before the lights go out. All the plants are grown in Foxfarm ocean forest, soil.

Strains: widow X warloc, Shiska berry, G-13, skunk #1, indica crush

The plants are about 5.2 weeks old. This first grow is basically a science experiment for me.:smoke:

Attached Files:

2. More pics

Attached Files:

3. Whats a good humidity level for veg?

4. Since you haven't got much help- this is from the growfaq in my signature. Very good resource I use all the time.

5. thanks for the info. Looks like my grow room is at good temp and humidity. has anyone ever heard of Dry Ice as a way to add co2 to the room? Something i heard from a local that would be easy for me to get.

6. Click on my sig man has lots of info- like here's my favorite Co2 method found on the Growfaq.

http://www.drugs-forum.com/growfaq/1177.htm

And here's your info for Dry Ice also from the Growfaq-

7. #7 dred420, Jul 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2009
    thanks, i guess i wouldnt have had to ask the question in the first place if i would have just clicked on your sig, lol. We use to have a paintball store in my town where they sold bottles of co2. I really want to get a bottle, with a connector for a small diameter hose to wind through the plants with holes poked along it, so that the co2 is administered evenly through out the crop. but all we have in this town is walmart... we have no home depots or anything like that so grow room construction can be a pain... we do however have a couple hydro shops, but none of them sell co2.

Edit: I will probably try that method with the bucket, water, and toast, sounds easy enough. have you had good results with this method?

8. My babies are loving the HPS, and VHO foliar sprays. I toped one of my plants because it was getting too tall compared to the rest of the crop. I decided just to clone the top instead of pinching it. I still havent picked up cloning suplies so i resorted to the old fasioned method of cloning with honey and rooting solution. well maybe not completly old fasioned but still close.

The only wierdness going on right now is one of the clones i got was pre flowered before it was cut to make sure it was female. (the person i got the particular clone from does thing ass backwards). anyway i figured it would just go back into veg under 18 hours of light. it hasnt really been producing buds but its acting like a budding plant in that its leaves are frosted and curling. I know its not a heat issue because it started happening under CFL light and i keep the temps in the 74-78 range. I have looked around GC to see if i find any info regarding my mutant plant. The funny thing is that this partucular plant did the best up until a few weeks ago when it started to lag. Its seems to be going through a another growth spurt right now though. This plant also has been recieving the organic food and was recently flushed to remove salts in the soil. All PH tests have been normal.

Attached Files:

9. The rest of the room.

Attached Files:

10. Sorry i suck at photography, ill try to get better shots in the future, especially when it comes to bud shots :smoking:

Attached Files:

11. I Just got done building an aeroponic cloning machine. It was actually pretty simple to build, and only cost around 65 USD, and works just as good as the ones the hydroponic stores sell for 250+ USD.

All you need is:

2'' PVC pipe
    4, 2'' PVC corners
    1 2'' T connector.
    2'' Clear poly tube
    Rio 800 aquarium pump
    360 cloning tips (mini sprinkler heads)
    PVC glue and primer
    rubermade tub
    small baskets
    small rockwool cubes

Tools needed:

small saw
    razor blade
    drill
    tape measure

Once you have all your items, measure your tub. Cut your PVC pipe to the size needed for the tub you have, sizes vary (i built a small cloner). Measure everything carefully so it fits right. before you start glueing put your design together to make sure it fits right. then drill your holes for the cloning tips and wash out the plastic residue, so you dont get the tips cloged up. then glue the pipes. Conncect the poly tube from the pump to the pipe. stick the cloner tips into the pipe and fasten with glue if needed. at this point you may want to fill your tub with water and test out the plumbing to make sure everything is in working order. Now you want to cut the holes in your lid for your baskets. make sure the baskets are about 2'' away from the cloning tips. stick your baskets in and you have got a aeroponic cloner:hello:

PS: i havent finished cuting all the holes in my lid yet, so dont let that confuse you...

Attached Files:

12. After a nice chicken sandwich and some waffle fries, i decided to post some updates. As of right now im trying to figure out how to go about properly ventalating my room, and lowering the humidity. a dehumidifier is not possible because I just lost my job so funds are limited. If anyone knows any crazy ideas for lowering the humidity for the flowering cycle im all ears, (or eyes in this case;)). For Co2 i plan on going with a 5 gal bucket, filled with water, sugar, a piece of toast and some yeast. Ill cut a 4'' diameter hole in the lid, stick the top of a 2 litre bottle over the hole and run some 2''poly tube from the lid of the 2 litre to my plants. Ill poke holes in the tube where i want the co2 to escape. That way the co2 get routed right to my plants. If anyone thinks this is a bad idea let me know. Any comments, criticism, or questions are would be appreciated. This is my first indoor grow and i want to do a good job. Theres no point in doing something if your not going to do it right. The first pic will be of my co2 idea.:smoking:

Attached Files:

13. Checked my cloner today, after 6 days 3 of the cuttings have roots :)

14. Nice job! I can tell off da break that you do some meticulous work! I'll be right here for the harvest!

One tip for the cloner is that you might want to black out all the plastic - especially in the lid. This is to discourage algae growth. I don't use that method, but I've read a few tutes on cloners like yours!

As far a co2 - from what I have read, if you are running your fan continuously, the co2 is ineffective. Also, the plants benefit most from the co2 when the lights are on - which is the time you are most likely to be running your fans!

+rep on your approach!

15. #15 dred420, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2009
    Ya i was thinking the same thing with blacking out my cloner. I def dont want to have to clean algae all the time. As far as the Co2 goes, I planned on running the co2 while the lights are on to maximize photosynthesis. I did'nt think about the fans, but that definetly makes sense. Thanks for the heads up. My next project is a grow tent for a veg room. My friend ordered a tent from htg supply, and I will help him set it up so I can figure out what ill need to build my own. He ordered a 6x6 tent which ill need to downscale to 4x4. I plan on running a 8 bulb T5 6500k. I have seen this light in action and I was very impressed with it.

Edit: I came up with a theory, if i release the co2 as soon as the lights come on in the morning, i can deal with the heat issue because thats when my room is the coolest. Luckily i had a few leftover parts from my water pump that fit perfectly into my 2'' polytube. So i was able to fit a valve on the end so i can release the co2 when i see fit. Ill post some pics later.

16. Hey GC i just got a free sample of botanicares new Sweet grape. all you have to do is send an email to : Promo@botanicare.net In the subject line leave your name email and mailing address and they will send a free 8 oz bottle of new sweet grape. I sent two and got two free bottles today. Only three days to ship. Ive never used the stuff, But free is the right price:hello:

17. Cool! But exactly what is Botaincare's Sweet Grape?

18. "Sweet Grape is the newest addition to Botanicares line of flavor enhancer. By adding Sweet Grape your plants will be sweeter, healthier and have a grape flavor.

Sweet Grape is an all natural mineral supplements contains carbohydrates and essential secondary elements which are utilized for the bio-synthesis of crucial compounds to maintain optimal metabolism." - Botanicare website.

Definetly something i would test out, maybe on a purp strain ;)

19. Updated Pics

The bucket is my Co2. I never actually went through with my whole plan, but i found an old valve i had and attached it to the end of my tubing. I have been going with running the co2 for a half hour early in the morning when the lights come on. This morning I accidently left the valve open for an hour and when i went into my closet i got a little light headed and noticed the top leaves where kinda curling down.... hope i didnt fuck them up too bad.:confused:

Attached Files:

20. Is that really 2" PVC? It looks smaller but I see you wrote 2" 90fittins too, so it must be 2" It just seams HUGE

OK You got me interested in the cloner......

8 bulb T5 are awesome. But why don't you just get a CO2 tank & controller and do it right? Everything else in your set up is.

Adding flavors is an ethnic thing, The boyz in my hood like their herbs organic and there rims factory.
    I'm in for this +rep to ya