My LED UFO grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by BloomingIndica, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Hello everyone I finally decided to post this journal since there aren't many LED journals out there. The seeds came from some fire ass shit i got about a month ago... it didn't have a name but it was covered up with trichs and it got me high as hell.

We started the seeds in a mixture of coco coir, perlite, and worm castings. We just used two florescent grow lights to get them started and after they came up, we decided to buy some ufos off of e-bay. They were about 160 including shipping. They are the 90w tri-band models but i got them from different retailers and one has the orange in the center and one has white(looks green until u turn it on).

You can see that three out of four began to stretch a bit before the ufos finally arrived. All of these popped up on june 12. We put the ufos on them around the 16th I think. Since most of them were so stretched I started bending them early. I used bamboo skewers (split in half) and some paper clipsbent around them with a bit of a hook sticking out. ( just temporary until we transplant them)

Attached Files:

2. I'll be watching this. I've been really curious about how LED grows work. I've seen some success with them, just not enough to change my mind yet... but enough to watch you try!

Best of luck.

3. I have been keeping the lights about 5 inches above the plants and they love it

Attached Files:

4. #4 BloomingIndica, Jul 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2009
    I discovered that we had a little pest problem a few days before transplant. FUNGUS GNATS!!!!! I did some research on here and decide to order Scanmask Nematodes to kill those fuckers for good instead of just catching the adults on sticky traps for mice. We went ahead and transplanted anyhow since it was going to take a few days for the nematodes.

We made our own mixture of soil for the bigger pots it consisted of: 1/3 composted manure, 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 perlite, and fresh worm castings packed around the base.

My girlfriend has been taking these pics we weren't going to put them on here originally so that's why there isn't a consistent length of time between photos. I have a feeling this will change a lot of minds about LED grows.

Stems are getting thick as hell by this point and the length between nodes is only a half inch or less in some cases. these things are getting so bushy you can't even see the stems once the leaves start! I plan on doing some serious LST so all this side growth will go straight up. I will have plenty of choices when the Juicy Roots cloning gels gets here!! Lots of pics from the 8th

Attached Files:

5. So far we have sprayed them a few times with a rain water and worm castings mixture and another time with some Alaskan fish oil that smelled like a bag of mashed up asshole. I drill holes around the rim of the 3-gallon pots and use a light gauge wire to hold the main stem down. I would show you pics of the wire on the stem but i can bearly see where i am putting it in this thick mess of leaves and secondary growth!!
    More from the 8th.

Attached Files:

6. OK finally caught up to the present time. I am pretty sure that all of them are females, I am definitely sure about 2 of them. At this time they are 4 weeks and a day.

Check out how close together the leaf sets are. Has anyone else seen them packed like this?. I have pinned them down twice now and the stems are really starting to thicken.

As you can see the plants only reach about 4in over the rim of the pots and the lights are about 5in over the plants. The 2 foot mark is about an inch over the top of the lights.

Attached Files:

7. #7 BloomingIndica, Jul 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2009
    hey man hope this does change your mind

8. Those are some CRAZY lookin lil' plants. I don't think I've seen a plant growing so compact like that. Do you remember if the weed the seeds were from was really dense. It almost looks like there is no spacing between nodes, like they are just stacked on top of eachother! I wanna see those flowers after you finish!:hello:

9. Actually it was on the sparse side and i originally thought for sure it was a sativa but i'm quite sure now that it's mostly indica. I think that the leds have quite a bit to do with the way these things are growing. From the time we put the leds on them they started looking like palm trees.

10. That is crazy looking man !!! +Rep on the Node spacing

Keep up the good work ...

this is the first LED journal I am going to watch ....

I have hated LEDS til now, and still might who knows... But hey this looks crazy !!!

I'll be back soon ...

When are you going to flower them ?

Best Regards EazyGreen ....:D

11. i just took clones tonight...2 from each since i think they are all female i will probably start flowering in a day or two

12. Nice grow man

13. thanks man i like your set up as well

14. Very nice grow BloomingIndica, I subscribed and cant wait to see the flowers. Are you getting a good smell from those girls? I noticed my ladies started to smell at 13 days old(marked the day lol) keep us posted, I'm always looking for ways to grow smarter/cheaper. Take care BloomingIndica..

Pilgrim

15. Very nice grow and my interest is also peaked. I am very leary of led technology as of today and I am anxious to see what the final product of this will be.

16. Hey guys,

BloomingIndica I am so happy for you that these new LED lights worked out for you and that you know how to take care of Mother Natures gift to us. Seriously man those plants look healthy as a mule. I was gonna ask you about your lights because I actually just purchased and started using my first UFO for my next cycle. I have a grow journal going on that I started as well. I managed to find a 4th generation triband UFO with the orange in the middle. I was really looking into getting another 1 or 2 to help me increase my yeilds come harvest time. I was looking at the 3rd generation tribands with white in the middle from HTGsupply.com which is selling for around $200. I wanted to know what generation your lights are? and ask you if you are having any troubles or anything (from the looks of it the plants have no complaints at all). I really want to embrace this new wave in indoor growing technology because it has way too many advantages over the old conventional forms of indoor horticulture. Anyways Besides asking about the models of your lights I also wanted to know if you have been swapping the plants round from light to light to try and ensure that they all get balanced amounts of red blue orange and white? Otherwise you should experiment to see which UFO light does better in the end. Well thats just my 2 cents, Adios

17. Very nice

I am very interested in your LED grow....Hope to be seeing a LOT more pics soon!!!:hello:

Keep it up

18. thanks for the comments man. Well, first of all I would recommend the ones with orange in the middle; the difference isn't overly apparent but the lights seem much brighter. I have been switching them around quite a bit whenever I pull them out to do more LST and last night when i took some clones...so there goes the comparison huh? I would recommend looking on ebay quite often and you can find almost every different kind of ufo...thats what we did... we only paid about $160 including shipping and that seems to be what most of them were selling for, so i didn't feel like i was getting ripped.

19. yeah man they have a nice smell when you get your nose right in there!! i'm sure it'll get better in a few weeks

I think the key for these is to keep them very close...most of the other people i've seen using them have let their plants get regular size...you just cant spread this light around like an hps. I do plan on getting a UVB light to use during mid to late flowering....i have my fingers crossed!!

20. OK so last night i got really high and decided to do some cloning!! I ordered some juicy roots from htg supply and some rockwool cubes, and i have a small plastic "window seed starter dome/tray". I got a little carried away and took two from each plant. One look at my set up and you can see that I don't have space for 8 more plants...I could maybe squeeze 4 more in if I put them in small containers. Two from each sounded like a good idea before they started showing sex, but now its looking like they're all females.

But I guess if none survive I won't have to worry about what to do with them... please take a look tell me if these look normal...they seem very droopy to me but i have never done this part before, so any feedback would be much appreciated!! I'm not sure if maybe i left too many leaves on some of them or what. I soaked the rockwool and it is very moist, I cut a few small holes in the top of the dome, cut with a new razor at a 45deg angle and used plenty of root gel...

Attached Files: