Poison Dwarf & Lowryder II-grow for seed

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by CleanCutGurilla, Jun 27, 2009.

1. #1 CleanCutGurilla, Jun 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2009
    Strains: Lowryder II, G-13 poison dwarf

Seedbank: Attitude

Soil: Sunshine mix #1

Admendments: perlite, ewc, guano, kelp, Myco's

Container: 1-3 gal

Lights: T-8x8@30 watts each(2,000 lumens +/-)4500 kelvin; Added 250 ele. ballast 250W with a hortilux bulb in a cool tube.

Grow Box: a bit smaller than 3'x2'x3'; (its more like 5 sq ft); light's ballasts are situated on the outside of the box; (started with): one 4" intake fan down low, and 4" up high on opp. side of box. Added small fan at the bottom, bought 6" fan for cool tube(intake) used intake 4" from bottom added to exhaust side of cool tube.

Started(sprouted): may 20, 100% germ.(took 3 days, directly in soil) in sq. 1 qt. containers

#'s: 6 LR, and 6 PD

Temps./humidity: Avg. 73f/45-50%H lights on for the first 3 weeks. 70f lights off. Now: Avg. 77f/40-45%H lights on, 70f lights off. Max temp. 81f*(measured at root zone)So up to 83-86f at tops.max avg. temps in ROOM are 71F

Problems/Mistakes: should have used T-5's over T-8, should have switched to more light at beginnin of week 3. T-8's @ 3' only come in 4500 kelvin!!(shit) so, should have sarted with 6500 kel.
    Temps and humidity could have been better. Prob. stunted growth by at least 2-3 days worth of growth.

Light schedule: 18/6; day 36 switched to 15/9(in hopes of speeding things up a bit...just care about the seeds!)

Pic is at day 7

Attached Files:

2. At day 14

Attached Files:

3. Day 21; most have shown sex, cut out the LR males; ratio is 1:1

Attached Files:

4. Day 28, 2 "freaks" .....3 lr fems and 3 PD's fems....smell has been an issue since week 2, the lr's smell like a skunk wiped his ass with the leaves, PD's have virt. no smell. have plug ins thru out the house and a device that sprays an aerosol at 9 min. intervals. you can still smell the plants

cool tube and light ballast, had no idea elec./digi ballasts run both MH and HPS...very cool.

Attached Files:

5. some pics from days 21 and 28 are mixed up in the last 2 posts...my bad. heres day 36(for sure) the f'ed up leaves are from my one gal PD that i put my local bat guano into...obviously not as potent as my others. pic 4 is of a Dutch Master liquid sunshine drench. the seeds however in the f'ed up PD are further along in their stage of development.

Attached Files:

6. damn. good looking grow. They're growing faster than mine are. would the superthrive and the heavy weight be a good buy?

7. some more pics

used 2 Poison Dwarf males for pollination; the idea is to breed out the pungent smell if at all possible....and yah yah this could take generations to acheive, but....

pic 5 is of PD fem that has some funked up leaves....which reminds me, putting 2 seeds in one pot is a no no, i honestly thought i wouldnt have gotten the germ ratio that i did.(100%)

all these plants are MUCH bigger than the LR orig. that i have grown in the past, which by the way is an awesome smoke, anyone who says otherwise either sucks as a grower or got the short end of the stick regarding genetics. my LR orig. smelled somewhat like baby shit, it was sour and cheesey smelling, i cant honestly say i enjoyed smelling it, but when you broke it apart it smelt as if a stampede of skunks trampled you. good smoke too, chilled high last roughly 1-2 hours pretty strong.

theres a pic of one of the mutants, oh yah, and i had WAY more mutants with LR I than with #2.

Attached Files:

8. heavy weight is more than likely just overpriced molasses(15$) and if you are going "organic" then yah use the HW(molasses), 1 TSP/gal (mix well, can let it sit for an hour or so to ensure its well mixed)some folks use warm water, i buy wally worlds distilled and it stays at room temp...71f a lil cool

Superthrive has been in my aresonal for over 10 years, i "believe" it works, although the part about stopping use at the first week or so of flowering is crucial i have found. ST will encourage your plants to "keep going" and you dont really want that when flowering; it has the ability to air out your buds. ill get some pics developed soon and they show new little buds growing on top(out of) of well est almost mature buds...

9. Day 42, watered with a mild strength guano tea. poison dwarfs dig all the nutes; lowryder2 are a bit more sensitive. some of the yellowing/fading of the leaves is from being about 2-4" too close to the hps. overall doing ok, the majority of the seeds are still well underdeveloped, hoping that trend goes wayward. the PD's are a vicious deep green color. the thinner of the plants is a PD i used "local" guano on and that guano was clearly not enough for that plant.

Attached Files:

10. hey bro just caught up on your grow and so far very nice job .i know what you mean about the mutants my poisons had alot of mutation as well .i just finished pollenateing a chosen pheno with my best male seeds are starting to form up nicely but one of my poisons turned hermie on me and pollenated the rest so i got a nice seed crop comeing at least lol .anyway helluva job plus rep for ya man.later the destroyer...:wave:

11. thanks Destroyer.

why do you think your PD went hermie on you...light leak, temps.?

how the hell do you "reply" on your thread? its a diff. set-up.

your plants seem to be more sqautier than mine, thats what i was hoping for, but mine stretched. both of the PDs stand 16-18" tall, but are thickening up nicely with the seeds.

yours look like they are using up their stores of N in the lower leaves pretty rapidly, you going with a low N fert right now? (maybe i ought to read your thread a bit better?)

i cut a stretched bothersome internode with small bud formation and some underdev. seeds, i cracked the seed open(it looked "ready") after drying it a few days, anyways it was void, my question is, when do you think we ought to chop the plants to aquire a succesfull seed harvest? when the seeds turn brown, calyxs turn yellow? i know they are going to mature a bit after being cut and dried....

im gonna water tonight so i will update some of the pics.

12. High, your plants are looking good! Won't be long now. :smoking:

13. sup bro?well i been thinking about that i grew them on a 20/4 until i repotted my skunk#1,s i then turned the lights to 12/12 im pretty sure thats what made her hermie because she was well into flower so it might have done it.lol ive got this question from a few people i just scroll to the bottom where it says reply,does it show that button for you ?are you a member of the aga maybe you have to be a member to reply but i dont think so anyway look at the last page at the bottom.well ill tell ya man now that mine are seeded ill let them run there entire life span until they die then ill harvest to make sure the seed is completely mature and ready ive always done this to all the plants ive ever grown.the way i see it is why take a chance of getting imature seed after all the time and energy spent growing them so i feel its better to wait until the plant completely dies off then harvest.yeah i think mine are so compact because of the light intensity 1000w full spectrum which is like the sun only weaker but im sure thats why there so compact.but mabey thats not such a good thing next round im gonna let them streatch a bit and then really put the light to them im pretty sure this will increase the overall yeald in the end mostly the top cola but thats the best part anyway.:wave:

14. #15 CleanCutGurilla, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2009
    alright well i just tested my runoff water from watering the plants(distilled, nothing added), and have found that on my 2 LR2s (that are starting to look "down") have a pH of 5.5-5.6.....sooooo this is my question:

Should i water with a pH cal'd water/light fert. right now, or wait till the plants actually need water again?:eek:

i added perlite on top of the SM#1, so it has decent water movement thru the medium.

and....thanks Buzz

Destroyer: yah a 1000 watter is deff. a big boy! if mine start to smell anymore than they already do then i might not let them stay in the box for too long....i mean the seeds i got from attitude were pathetic in color and size. i give mine 1 to 2 weeks tops.(if this pH issue doesnt F things up!!!)

15. hey man.how long before your next water cycle?ive been through the same thing with mine everytime i use mollasses my ph drops to around 5 something .i just use bakeing soda 1 teaspoon per gallon will raise the ph 1 point or a little more .but it should be fine if its not more than a few days.but if it looks bad then do it now youll just have to adjust your water time accordingly but it shouldnt hurt the plant though.

16. Well heres some pics from days 42 & 46 after doing a quasi flush(day 42); it did some good, on day 46 i watered again and read the run off and im up to 6.3. So i still have some work to do.

The seeds are slowly developing; i give them a solid week. i have cut a few branches and the seeds are muturing after being cut(the embryo and cotyledon material is dev. and ready to "go" upon simple inspection)
    theres a trippy pic of some tea i brewed for the 46 watering. i had to strain it since i didnt use a sock/hose. the PD are the best looking ones now and appear to have the best seed dev.

the smell is ridiculous, every time my ac kicks on this storm of pungent air rushes underneath the door.

Attached Files:

17. The seeds in the middle are mine, and the right=LR2 and left=PD you cant really see it but the other guys seeds are pale in color and some of them are a bit skimpy looking; all the ones i planted(12) germed however. so i guess looks dont mean everything.

the ones i did pop open had dev. inards; i will do a germ test here 1-2 weeks to get a better idea of their viability.

if any of you have exp. with growing seeded crops feal free to jot down any info/expertise youve gathered. thanks

Attached Files:

18. yup id know those pertty yellow leaves anywhere thats for sure the poison dwarf lol so i guess it wasnt just my poisons that showed this trait.and by the way cool beans dude.:p