Scruby Wild Running Cannabis Found In S.C. / GROW SHOW

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Woodsmantoker, May 16, 2009.

1. #1 Woodsmantoker, May 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2009
    The Story:

As a kid, I spent many summers in South Carolina fishing, hunting, and exploring little known areas with a good friend of mine. Many times we stumbled upon things that we knew we were never supposed to find. Moon shiners camp, boxes of nude mags that were stolen and stashed, old wild fire fighters gear, etc.

One summer we stumbled upon a small patch of "grass" that was unattended and well over grown. There were buckets still in the ground with old stalks sticking out obviously cut for harvest. The nice thing was the "wild" running plants that had flourished around the area. The seeds must have been abundant because even back then the patch was quite impressive.

Last year, my wife and I planned a trip down to spend some time with old friends. One of the conversations sparked memories of days at the patch. We decided to (as a group) go and see if we could find where it had been. We were planning to just sit and burn a few bowls and recall the past, completely convinced that it would no longer exist. (This is 8 years later mind you in a planted pine tree farm).

When we found the area, we were right. It had been disturbed and was not quite what we expected. The trees in that area had been harvested. There were new trees in its place and they all stood about 8 feet high. Among them however, were several large patches of this "wild running" sativa looking plant. It was October at the time, and there had been a few cold days that seemed to have finished off the growing season. There were standing dried buds, but all the buds were PACKED with seeds and the smoke from our pocket was a far better choice. We burned several bowls, collected what we wanted to take with us, and all promised to keep it our little secret. (If you knew my friends you would know what a bond that truly is and how seriously each one of us sticks to our word. My very best friends in life.)

One of the things I made sure to do before returning home, was to stash a handful of the seeds.....I decided I would try growing it indoor and see what I turn out.

So that is where my thread begins.

Granted I have limited room, a grow room full of my medicinal options, and uncertainty about hermies; I germinated only five seeds, vegged for a few weeks until I found a certain female, and tossed the rest.

I have let the plant grow under minimal lighting to insure that it stays consistently female while LST'ing, and recently built a 24"W X 24"L X 24"H SCROG screen that I am now tending. I placed the plant under a 400w HPS from HTGsupplies (highly recommend) and a 4X bulb / 40watt Long Bar Floro.

It already looks quite different than the mother I pulled the seeds from. I would still say its Sativa dominant however, it’s looking more and more like it has indica genetics as well.

I will do my best to keep this thread current, I do ask that you bear with me until I have a better camera to use, for mine found its way into the lake...I will be using my wife's Blackberry Cell Phone in the mean time.

Began 12/12 Today. 5/15/09 @60% SCROG.

No ferts being used. This will be a completely experimental run the first go round. I am also running an experiment with the water that I am using. I am using water from a salmon spawning river. This river has LUSH LUSH growth on the banks every year, and the obvious (tons of dead salmon). Pics coming soon!

Organic Soil. Fox Farms and Pro Mix combo.

5 Gal Bucket, transplanted from 1gal.

Foliar Feeding with all natural, genuine glacial ice and snow melt. Obtaining Water Photos coming soon!

NOTE: This plant flourished in a Southern Long Needle Pine Forest. The soil acidity had to be outrageous...?

Enjoy!:wave:

Attached Files:

2. :eek: TAKE ME WITH YOU!

Lol but it looks good man...

3. looking good!i used htg supply also and have nothing but good things to say about them but i didnt use the sticker!

4. Are you going to take a clone or 3 in case it gets sick?

5. There are a few clones from this plant around now yes. I dont have any of them, but would have no trouble getting this back if I lost it. I also have access to about 10,000 seeds of it.:D I have about 20 seeds left here though.

6. Thats pretty awesome that there was still some growing wild! These plants could probably be some kind of oldschool genetics that survived this long, unless someones been out there cultivating it. Im excited to see what kinda bud comes out of it!

7. Yeah it will be interesting. The Buzz was always worth the walk. It was quite pest resistant too; it always looked healthy when we would find it. But damn did it look scrubby. You will see!

The seed production was unreal! Seed per biomass of foliar matter ratio was like damn near dead even. Males are skinny skinny, and not a tall plant.

8. Nice story man. Hope this strain turns out well for ya!:hello:

9. Thinking about an outdoor garden in the wild this summer...

Might use this strain in the mix if it turns out nicely. I will surely be doing White Rhino, and Arjan's Ultra Haze #2. And for the head turner, my strain. Follow this thread if you are interested.
    :cool:

Ill post photos of the up and comers tommarow. Two AH-#2, One White Rhino, One MTU.;)

Attached Files:

10. I am having trouble getting the photos up today as my wife has her phone on here and is not home. I think I will head in to town and pick up a new camera. For now, I would like to share some images of the area. I am sure it's hard for folks to imagine what it's like in this part of the world without photos. This is Western Alaska...

Indica Heaven and the season can provide an ideal vegetative growing season. If the location is chosen correctly, there is no need for water or attendance through the season. What must happen however is that the plants be recovered at the end of the season and taken indoor for the flowering cycle, or some sort of 12-12 cycle set up using say an auto timed tent covering.

If you have never seen a plant grown outdoors in Alaska, I suggest you follow this thread. Plants here in Alaska receive a SUN!!! We are located above the equator high enough that the sun stays above the horizon for up to 20+ hours depending on time of year and exact location in the state. We are at about 16 hours of day light right now, and are still experiencing freezing during the night, so it is a bit early for outdoor growth however; I am able to take plants outdoors during the day to receive mid day temps of around 65 - 70. I also have a sun room that is cooking for the whole day and seems to be the ideal location right now.
    I have the Arjan's Haze #2, White Russian, and MTU under all natural lighting this way, and will be relocating clones as they become available. I will most likely start a thread for them but will also note progression here and make links available to viewing them and any other thread related.

:wave:

P.S. There are two AH#2 from Fem Seed (greenhouse seeds of course) as I had mentioned. They look like the same strain showing two far different pheno types. One is very fragrant while the other has little to no smell at all. Leaf structure differs from one to the next as well. Comments Welcome.

How stable / consistent is this strain according to personal experience?

11. Ground Vegetation Sample

Attached Files:

12. Taking ice burg samples for plant use later.

Attached Files:

13. #13 Woodsmantoker, May 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2009
    Location, Location, Location!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Very cool dude. I'm way down the other side of the globeso this is quite interesting.

Keep it updated mate :)

15. Update time I suppose:

Well, I figure the SCROG to be at about 70 percent. The plant has begun to show a new trait that I have not seen in this plant before. The leaves are becoming very waxy and dark. This was unlike the traits shown in the plants that were outdoors. I am very pleased with the outcome so far. It seems to be a plant that just didn't like the outdoor regardless of its success there. I always thought it to be a very sativa dominant strain however; it is showing strong character of indica genetics. Very interesting...

The two Arjan's Haze are growing at about the same rate, they are both on their 5th internode and stand at 9 1/2". One of the two has no smell at all while the other is very fragrant and fills the room with its pleasant aroma. (Already yikes!)

The MTU, is being LST'd "early" as it will be flowering earlier than the Arjan's haze. I will SCROG this plant as well, and clones will be taken and raised by another medical marijuana grower. This plant too stands at around 10". Due to being LST'd it has all the lower internodes shooting up even with the growth of the top.

The White Rhino is still a seedling. Looking healthy however.

All the plants are doing extremely well. There are no problems to speak of.

We are still experiencing late freezing so there is not an option of moving plants out doors. The plot has been chosen though. I will be getting pictures up soon; I do hope that folks can bear with me on this lack of photography equipment...

For Shits and Giggles, I thought I would share with you another project. I have ordered another packet of seeds that I germinated and have growing. The seeds are from a rare plant that only grows in one location in the world; The Island of Hokkaido Japan. It's known as the Black Hokkaido Watermelon. The watermelon is a prized fruit in Japan and often auctions for very high prices to people of wealth. I knew this prior to buying the seeds; however this is the article that really grabbed my attention. I just had to know what a $6,000 water melon taste like!

Watermelon auctioned for $6,100 in Japan

[​IMG] Tomoko A. Hosaka / AP
    A black jumbo watermelon produced on Japan's northern island of Hokkaido is seen on sale for $ 5,945 at Tokyo's Isetan department store, on Friday. The 24-pound premium "Densuke" is the biggest among the first of 65 sold as part of the season's initial harvest. Another watermelon weighing 17 pounds fetched a record $6,100.

[​IMG] updated 1:24 a.m. AKT, Fri., June 6, 2008

TOKYO - A black jumbo watermelon auctioned in northern Japan fetched a record $6,100 Friday, making it the most expensive watermelon ever sold in the country - and possibly the world.
    The 17-pound premium "Densuke" watermelon, grown only on the northern island of Hokkaido, was purchased by a marine products dealer who said he wanted to support local agriculture, according to Kyodo News agency.
    In a country where melons are a luxury item commonly given as gifts, the watermelon's hefty price tag follows another jaw-dropping auction last month, where a pair of "Yubari" cantaloupe melons sold for a record $23,500.

16. #17 Woodsmantoker, May 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2009
    OK OK OK,

So its been a slow start I know. Sorry.

UPDATE:

Here are some photos starting off with the Carolina Strain. Another friend of mine has taken the seeds and has grown it indoor's under very minimal lighting (CFL). I have photos from his grow to add after these.

THE SCROG.

Attached Files:

17. #18 Woodsmantoker, May 21, 2009
    Arjans Haze #2

Attached Files:

18. #19 Woodsmantoker, May 21, 2009
    M.T.U.

This little bush has a very interesting back ground. This plant was crossed by MTF. This hybrid has been grown for years and years in the bush of Alaska until the breeder committed suicide (R.I.P. Doomann). The genetics were passed on to the daughters of the breeder and from there I obtained a single seed...

This is she. (Hopefully, they say it's feminized)

Note: Check out the structure of these leafs. The edges are "double edged?" comments???

Attached Files:

19. Luv the story. I'll be watchn this one for sure.:smoking: