250w cfl grow with pics

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by slanesh, Apr 6, 2009.

1. #1 slanesh, Apr 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2009
    hey all. i started a thread in general indoors "250 cfl grow starting soon".
    now the grow is underway ill transfer some of the info from there, and continue the grow here :)

strain - nirvana misty

lights:
    1x 250w cfl 6500k
    1x 250w cfl 2700k and reflector.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-x-250w-8U-R...686|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318#ebayphotohosting

soil is levingtons potting soil.
    with about 30% perlite and fish/bone/blood meal.

room is a small wardrobe (closet). no more than 2x2x4.5

ill be vegging 6 (and one straggler) hopefully getting 3 females.

i just hooked up some pc fans for ventilation today. and they still need to be secured and the wiring made safe. so theres no need to lecture me about that :)

ferts are baby bio for veg - 10.5-4.5-1.7
    and tomorite - 4 - 4.5 - 8

ill look for getting nice flowering nutes when the time comes. and some mollasses.

i germed 7 and had 100% success using the glass of water method.. the first 2 poked their heads through the soil on 23rd march.

but the rest didnt for another couple of days.
    i waited until they had all poken through and were facing up before putting them under the 250w. as i have nothing smaller to put them under.
    anyway
    their first day under lights was sunday 29th march. and now its monday 6th april. which is when these pics are from. i took them soon after they woke up though, so tonight theyll be bigger :)

so, basically theyve been going about a week or so.
    for a week under the lights, i really think they look excellent.
    but this is my first grow from seed so i wouldnt really know. what do you guys think?

this is the one who popped first
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and this is second i think. but notice the darker colour, and less round leaves. i think its a very different phenotype.
    [​IMG]

a group shot including the straggler and my wiring which needs to be sorted out
    [​IMG]

a side view from 1. i dunno which o_O . pretty good noding though i think. and a nice strong stem. as you can see ive been training them lightly already. that was because i repotted too early though and couldnt fit them all nicely under the light. so i used it to pull them towards the light more.
    [​IMG]
    group shot including light. you can see how close it is :eek:. plants love it so far tho. you can also see i have the centre 2 plants lower than the others. because the light is round its more efficiant.

[​IMG]
    a side view of one. you can see i started to train it. its just because i was silly and repotted really early. so i couldnt fit them all under the light. so used it to pull the plants towards the light

[​IMG]

random pics

[​IMG]
    http://forum.grasscity.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/49146

thats all for now. let me know what you think!

2. ill try and keep the pics updated every 24 or 48 hours so you can see their progression. but for now i have 1 question..

i have my 2 pc fans hooked up to a ac adapter thing which is from a old 2.1 speaker set.
    it is rated at 1000mah.
    is this overkill? will i be wasting a load of electricity just for these 2 fans? will it be an electrical/fire problem etc?

one of the fans is quite loud and really feels like a deskfan its so powerful. the other is silent though and isnt powerful at all. i have the more powerful one bringing in air.

any answers appreciated..

3. The plants look good dude, and it looks like you've got some solid gear... but trim the nails for pics, will ya? I'm eating my lunch over here :smoking:

4. lol... :) ill remember in future. cheers man. do you have any info about using the 1000mah ac adapter tho?
    cya

5. Good to see you can take a joke! Truth is, I'm a little jealous of your lights... :D

The 1000mah adapter is running 1 amp at 12 volts DC, right? That's only 12 watts, time for some stoned math... 24 hours a day that thing draws 12x24 watts... 144+144 = 288... that's 1Kw/hr over almost 4 days. What do you pay for a kilowatt hour?

6. #6 slanesh, Apr 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2009
    lol naw ive no idea how much my electric costs. damn expensive though. honestly it costs about 90pence a day to keep my pc on 24hours. but 13 watt is nothing to worry about anyhow. yeh? that would be the actual wattage then? so im right in saying it'd cost less to run than a 20w cfl?

the lights were cheap as chips :)
    ive forgotten exactly but about 70 pounds for the 2700k and 6500k and the reflector. if your interested you should look into them.

im so happy theyre only on their 8th day under lights and they look like that. alot of newbies i see (like me) still have 2 round leaves and a stem after 8 days.

i got a temp/humidity monitor earlier.
    i dont think its accurate at all because the news says the temp is one thing, and i leave the monitor outside for 10 minutes and it says something quite different (about +5 degrees) o_O

anyway, it says its 83f at plant level, and 50% humidity. i think its probably a touch cooler than that. but im happy generally.

7. does anyone know of any other misty grow journals? or has anyone smoked it before and got a report for me? its hard to find much about it online...
    (shameless bump)

8. Slanesh: I am currently in week of flowering in a small cabinet using a 200W CFL. I also threw in 4 42W cfls to add some light to the bottom of the plant.
    You can check out how they are coming along at my journal
    http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/353798-200w-cfl-2x1x5-cabinet-grow-journal.html

I would say that you shouldn't underestimate the need for ventilation even with CFLs. I'm not 100% certain, but it did seem like the temperatures increased quite a bit just in the switch from the 6500K bulb to the 2700K for flowering. I was running one 40cfm inline duct fan, but it just wasn't cutting it for the 2700K bulb (especially with the additional 4 42W bulbs).

9. hey. cheers yeh dont worry, i got 2 pc fans strapped in. come flowering ill get a carbon filter too and extract through that.

10. #10 slanesh, Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2009
    time for a 24 hour update :)
    these pics were taken 24hrs after the last.

first 2 pics are of the first plant you saw on my previous post. third pic is the plant from the second and last pics of the first post.
    ill stick with these two generally from now on, so you know who your watching and you can see their progression :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 of my plants are like the first, with rounder, smoother leaves, and three and like the second, with very triangular leaves and more of a cabbagy texture.

comeon ladies and gents. show some love :)
    theyre only on their 9th day!

11. Very nice looking. Incredibly healthy.
    I hope I have the same results.

12. cool man thanks :D yeah i hope they continue like this.
    whatre you planning on growing?

i have some orgonite in the grow box. its the plants little lucky charm. lookup wilheim reich, orgonite if your interested ;)

13. #13 slanesh, Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2009
    here:

Gardening Trials: Growing Giant Vegetables in Brighton
    Gardening Trials: Growing Giant Vegetables in Brighton

"Local gardeners are needed for 2009 trials of 'wonder resin', Orgonite

March 26, 2009 - Press Dispensary - Last year, a solid, resin-based material called Orgonite was used in East Sussex to grow giant vegetables in a small but significant trial run by freelance journalist, Mark Bennett. Now, he is teaming up with EcoLogicCool of Sydney Street, Brighton, to conduct a much larger trial starting in early April, 2009, and is seeking gardeners to participate and document the growing harvest and resulting crops."

etc, google orgone, orgonite for more info

14. Nice plants.

You still going to put one on top of your sub to see if the bass had any effect?

I'd be interested to see the results. Do you think the vibrations penetrating through the soil and root system might have a negative effect? (loosen it up or something)

Plants sitting in a room being bombarded with low frequencies (could) be beneficial. I remember seeing a Mythbusters where they tried talking to plants, playing music, being nice to them, shouting abuse etc.

I think the ones which were played music actually had the most growth. It was a controlled experiment but obviously by no means conclusive.

What will you be playing them? :D

15. lol :D
    alot of different stuff from nightwish to marley probably.
    the only thing thats stopping me is that if theyre sitting on the subwoofer, they arent in the light. so any gains from the subwoofer will be negated by not being in light. so im not sure if i can be bothered tbh lol. i still might give it a try though :)
    tbh theyre no more than 2 feet away from it anyway so i wouldnt have to get them any nearer for them to be able to feel the bass. but because ALL of the plants are the same distance, i wont be able to tell if the bass has had any diffference as ive nothing to compare non bassed plants to. lol. hmm o_O.

in the group shot on the first page you can see the orgonite btw, in the middle left plant pot, holding down the tie :p

16. Right now I am growing just some bag seed that I had.

In the past though I have experience with Widow and another bag seed.

17. This journal has some great pictures, great first grow

18. hey thanks man.
    and dsurge. yeah i like the white strains. thinking of growing some white rhino sometime...
    although i think for my next grow i want a heavy fruity indica. something like papaya i think.

19. Nice looking grow. The pc fan question - pc fans generally (12cm) run on 12v and 0.135A. To calculate the wattage you multiply the voltage by the current (amps), there for the formula you'll need is 12x0.135. there for its an 1/8th of what the other guy said (no offence intended). Which is good news, you should be goin at around 2.6watts, which is not that much. check the amp rating on the fan tho (shud be on the silver sticker). but this means you can add a few more fans to the power pack if you needed too, just dont exceed the max current of the psu.:wave:

20. ok, cool. thanks ganja :)

theyre getting smelly. i cant believe it.
    i thought i noticed it yesterday when i opened the cab. but today certainly. they smell a bit like sweaty feet. ima bit worried now as to how bad theyre gonna be come flowering lol o_O