And again... Multi strain, perpetual soil grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Gatson, Nov 2, 2008.

1. #1 Gatson, Nov 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2008
    Hello everyone. Hope all thumbs are still green and buds frosty white. This is my 2nd journal on this forum. I started to neglect my last thread, the title was inaccurate and everything looks SO much better...so I decided to just start a new journal completely. If anyone cares to see how this grow started, through to my first harvest....here's the link

http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-journals/266586-purple-wreck-white-widow-fruity-pebbels-more.html

Overall, I'd give the results of that grow a B+. Out of the three strains grown...one smelled absolutely ridiculous. I never got to flush properly and the humidity was too low in my drying room. All of this added to too many nutes in the bud and a harsh taste due to the quick dry (3-4 days). I guess that's why this is a learning experience... Anyways, on to the specs for anyone who doesn't bother to check my last thread.

So I have three grow areas...two up and running at the moment.

Veg:

240W of CFL power over approximately a 1 1/2' x 2 1/2' space
    6 strains to choose from:
    2 Purple Wreck phenos
    Fruity Pebbels
    Mr. Nice
    Raspberry (VERY sativa dom.)
    Dragon (3 seedlings about 3 weeks old...all undetermined sex)

Everybody in the veg area looks happy at the moment.

Flower 1:

600W Hortilux HPS
    About 2' x 3 1/2'
    440 CFM fan
    Lights off: 72-74 degrees F
    Lights on: 77-79 degrees F
    Currently running:
    Purple Wreck Jane (one about 4 1/2 weeks flower and one just 4 or 5 days in)
    Mr. Nice (week 1)
    Raspberry (3 weeks in...CRAZY stretcher)
    Fruity Pebbels (same age as older Purple Wreck)

If you anyone remembers my last grow at this time of flower...the results are a night and day difference. Everyone is happier, greener and fatter than I could have anticipated. The PW is actually outperforming her mother around harvest time in just week 4-5. You'll see in the pictures.

Flower 2: (currently out of commission)

This room has been down for about two weeks (ever since the first harvest) because we've been waiting to invest in a new light. I went and picked it up yesterday and I'm excited to say that the next run in the ScrOG cab will be under a brand new Ceramic Metal Halide bulb. The light is MUCH crisper than the HPS I had and has a dramatic visible difference in the color spectrum that it provides. Can't wait for the results...

400W CMH
    Rougly 2' x 2' of space
    Lights off: 69-72 degrees F
    Lights on: 74-77 degrees F

Our next run in this cab will start as soon as all the transplant-ees get a good root system going after the transplant (just a couple days I would imagine). I'm changing this run up, though. Last run, I had one Fruity Pebbels under the screen with no way of flushing at all. This time around I'll be running 2-3 different plants in different pots. I have a tray with a runoff valve to account for any flush I may need to do on any plant. The two strains that will be in the screen for sure are PW Jane and Mr. Nice. Depending on how soon these Dragon sprouts show sex...I may add a fem to the mix (I'm just crossing my fingers for at least one out of three to show pistils).

Anyways...that's about all I have in terms of words. I'll leave a couple good post-drying pictures of the harvest, then probably split the next round of pics up into two posts (veg and flower). Here ya go...

Picture 1: Size comparison...one nug from each plant harvested

Pictures 2-4: Nice closeup of each in this order... Fruity, PW Jane and PW Bebe

Picture 5: Most of the choice nugs form the harvest

Picture 6: I dunno??

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. #2 Gatson, Nov 2, 2008
    Here's the veg area

Picture 1: All the pretty ladies together

Picture 2: Mr. Nice clone...I have another Mr. Nice clone that's the same age, same size

Picture 3: Fruity...ready for a transplant soon so I can get it ready for a couple cuttings and then into the flower room.

Picture 4: Three Dragon seedlings. Transplanted two of them today, each in different size pots. Kept one where it is. Going to see how each responds to the change or lack thereof.

Picture 5: PW Jane...soon to be ready for a couple cuttings then under the screen she goes.

Picture 6: Raspberry clone...another clone for this one also. It's still alive and kickin but it's not in quite as good of shape as the clone pictured.

And that's it for veg...somewhat boring but I never really introduced y'all to everyone in the last journal

Attached Files:

3. And here's the flower area. The room is slightly redone...not much change, just makes for easier work and about allows the temp to hover about 3 degrees lower than before. Some of these pictures do absolutely no justice to the girls they were taken of. Namely...the big PW and the Raspberry. Anyways...here ya go.

Pictures 1-2: PW Jane. Greener, frostier and fatter than the previous run by almost weeks. I swear, this plant compared to the original run seems to LOOK 2 weeks older at the same period of time as the originals. Probably will give it one more low does of nutes before I start the flush.

Pictures 3-5: Fruity. Not quite as frosty as the PW, but I know this is a longer flowering strain simply based on our last run. This one needed another week, probably two the first time around. Unfortunately, this is the one that I couldn't flush. And I don't know what I did to make this plant so happy...but I have given this girl nothing but water for coming on two weeks now and it has yet to show me any kind of deficiency.

Picture 6: Newly introduced PW Jane. Not much to say...just a happy, soon to be frosty plant.

Pictures 7-8: Mr. Nice. These pictures were taken probably 3 days ago so she is much greener now than in this picture. This picture was soon after the transplant (2-3 days). If you look closely, you can see the exact point of the plants life when I transplanted. The stalks and leaves go from a purple color to a pure green color.

Picture 9: Raspberry. Couldn't get a good picture of the whole plant because it is so damn big. This thing stretched almost too much when I put it into flower. I'm not sure if that is genetics or if it was because I put it into flower the day after I topped it. I don't think I gave it enough time to heal before the stretch started. The trichs are just showing up in this picture...it's much frostier just 3 days later. I'm just crossing my fingers on this one.

And that's it...Hopefully I'll be able to keep this journal updated weekly (or more often, depending on response). What do y'all think?

Attached Files:

4. Wow man u seem 21 have it all under control thats some nice dank u harvested their not long ago .... And seems your not far off from taken some more down soon ...

Awesome work man ... Keep it up..... And happy smoking ....

Check out my last est grow its in the signature ....

Best Regards EazyGreen .........

5. Hey dude, Im likin what you have going on. Keep up the great work, your girls look great!

6. I love threads that are detailed and have multiple strains and grow rooms, they get to be very informative as time passes.

+rep

7. Thanks, man. There will be more strains added throughout. I have an Afgoo seed that I got just yesterday. I'll be germing it here in the next day or so. I think if it's male, I'll still keep it for breeding purposes. Thanks for the rep, amigo.

8. #8 sneakers, Nov 2, 2008
    Great grow. Those buds look tasty from your last harvest. As of now I am going nuts waiting on my next harvest.

These perpetual grows are fun but they can take over your life also. It is better to have a grow take over your life than to spend half of your life chasing down some decent smoke and the other half of your life wishing you had something better and the other half of your life waiting on someone else to show up with your stuff. LOL

You know what I mean, the hassles of depending on others for good quality smoke (not to even mention the cost).

Your plants look awesome and you have some good strains too. I'm already thinking about 2009 and some nice strains to either add to my grow or to replace strains currently growing. I have heard a lot of good things about trainwreck and blueberry. those 2 might be good to try. Was also thinking about some type of Maui Skunk or something.

Do the strains you have now provide a nice variety of taste and highs?
    Thats what I am looking for. A good sativa, a nice indica and a good strong skunk. That would keep me happy for 09.

I didn't notice nutes you are using. Your grow looks perfect and you seem to have total control over all of your variables. Sometimees I think mine is all being grown on a hope and a prayer. I just don't have the patience or discipline to be that particular.

Hell, it is all I can do to keep from picking one of those big fat juicy looking green nugs from one of my plants and go suck it through my bong. I won't but it sure is tempting.

Thanks for the pics and the thread. This one will be interesting to watch.

9. #9 Gatson, Nov 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2008

Thanks for the words, man. Ya, so far I'm loving my strain selection. I'm still yet to see them at their potential for a few reasons, so I'm hesitant to give a real smoke report. But I can tell you that the Fruity and PW Jane put you on your ass alot more than PW Bebe does. Originally I had planned on taking PW Bebe out of the roatation but after the dry and cure, I think her smoke might actually be better even if the bud isn't quite as good looking.

And I'm using a variety of nutes, mostly Botonicare and Canna. I'm using PBP Bloom, a PK 12-14 supplement (I think those are the numbers), grandma's molasses, Earth Juice Meta K (my fruity cut tends to get a small potassium dificency if it vegges for too long), Cannazym, Canna Vega for veg, Cal Mag (which is a miracle worker if I may say so myself) and I have some clearex just in case anyone ever needs an emergency flush. I use all those at different times of their development, depeing on what each girl is telling me.

And trust me, last harvest I did have trouble waiting. We took probably a total of 3-4 grams early just because we were eager haha. But at this point, I have so much from my last harvest that I'm in no hurry at all. With this round, I'm hoping to not smoke any of it until it has reached what I would consider a very good cure. We'll see how that goes though.....

10. This journal was started on the 1st but the pictures were a few days old...so we'll call this week 2 of my new grow journal. No problems to speak of. Just some nice budshots coming your way.

Pictures 1-3: Fruity Pebbels. Still staying a beautiful green and putting on weight at the same time. I think I'll give her one more good dose of molasses and leave her be. Unless she starts to show too yellow too soon. We'll see. I'm going for the better taste and smoother smoke this time around so less is more in this case.

Pictures 4-6: PW Jane. If you look at the second picture from my first flowering post, it is the same cola as the cola pictured here. See how much of a difference one week makes :hello:
    Pictures 7-8: Mr. Nice. I predict another 5-7 days of stretching before she starts putting on weight. But the second picture here shows the first legitimate preflowers, so the excitement starts now for me. First run with this strain...

Pictures 9-10: Just something I figured out on accident. Some pretty cool pictures though...

The Raspberry hasn't changed much except that it's still stretching. She's about to hit my light but the temp at the light is 79 degrees during lights on so I'm not too worried. She is getting much, much frostier though and she's showing the first signs of putting on any weight.

I'll have my ScrOG up and running within the next couple days so maybe a new update will follow not toooooo long from now. So what does everyone think?

Attached Files:

11. Can you post the time since flower on those beautiful plants sir?

12. Switched to 12/12 right around 9/30. So they're either 4 or 5 weeks into flower, depending on if you start with 12/12 or if you start with first preflowers showing up. I'll be monitoring the trichomes with a magnifying glass starting soon just so I can see the progression from clear to amber.

13. I start the flowering clock after the buds show up. Plants look great. Great job man.

14. great looking grow gatson.. seems like you have it locked down man!

peace

15. Ya, I'm going to be looking at the trichomes daily so I'll know when they're ready according to how I want my high to be.

Quick question...if I took a clone from a mother who is from seed, should the flowering times be the exact same? Or will it ever differ from one generation to the next?

16. Yeah trichs are the best way.
    Yes clone flowering times should be identical to the mom that it came from.

17. /\ Conditions of growth can actually change the flowering time period as well, slightly.

Those fan leaves are looking AMAZING, enormous fingers and many of them at that :smoking:

Lookin good homie!

18. Update to come within the hour...

19. So a few new pictures, fresh from tonight. I'm thinking we're getting close to 2-3 weeks (possibly less?) left with the PW Jane and/or the Fruity. The PW Jane is turning more purple than the first run, yet the Fruity isn't turning purple at all yet. At the same time in flowering last run, the Fruity was already very purple. The fan leaves anyways... So I don't know if that's a good thing, bad thing, or no matter. We'll see I guess. She's still stayed that perfect green with absolutely no nutrients for weeks now. I'm looking forward to a very flushed Fruity Pebbels whenever harvest time comes around. Hopefully this will put the flavor and smoothness up there with the best. So here ya go...

Pictures 1-3: Fruity. She's starting to put on some weight and really throwing out some resin. The pictures say more than I ever could.

Pictures 4-6: PW Jane. Getting fatter and more purple every day. In the second pictures. you can really see the purple showing up in the fan leaves and in the calyxes, if you look closely. The last picture shows the very beginning of some natural yellowing due to the time of flowering. Not sure if you can tell very well because of the flash but it's there.

Pictures 7-9: Mr. Nice. Not too much to say. Flowers starting to show some signs of life. If you look close enough in person you can see some resin formation in the early stages. Still exciting to the naked eye. I think I overwatered slightly when I transplanted which resulted in some droopy leaves. Either that or it has to do with the humidity. My RH is fairly low.

Picture 10: Youngest PW Jane in flower. Not too much to speak of yet, but she's just getting started.

One more picture post tonight. I have the ScrOG cabinet back up and running. Just a few new pictures of that before bedtime.

Attached Files:

20. Don't mind the fact that there's no screen right now. The plants are just now reaching the height where the screen would be so it will be installed tomorrow evening. Next week's pictures will have the screen up and running.

So here we have 4 plants, 3 different strains, possibly 2 phenos of the same strain, but we'll see as time goes on. I have one Mr. Nice, one PW Jane and two Dragons. Everyone recall the 3 Dragon seedlings I planted and introduced last update? All three ended up being female. I feel like I'm getting all fem seeds from my bagseed finds. I guess it'd make sense, but I haven't had a single male this run, except for the PW I planted in the very beginning.

I took a few clones from PW Jane before I put her in here and I'll be switching to flower soon after the Dragons are big enough to take a few cuttings. And this grow may be my most anticipated so far. It's the first run under my new 400w Ceramic Metal Halide bulb. Supposed to keep the internodes closer, the leaves greener and increase (even if only slightly...) yeild.

Picture 1: All 4 happy in the cabinet.

Picture 2: Mr. Nice. Smallest of the group. May only end up with a few tops of Mr. Nice.

Picture 3: PW Jane. Just transplanted today, along with Mr. Nice and one of the Dragons.

Picture 4: Canopy shot of the both Dragons.

Keep your eye on this one. I expect alot better things from this round under the screen than the last run. And I was very, very satisfied with the last run.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1