Aerogarden Autoflowers

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by kbfl0912, Jan 28, 2008.

1. This is Auto AK47 at 5 1/2 weeks.....in an aerogarden. Someone gave it to me as a gift and figured I try it out. This is the only female out of four seeds. This plant is 5 1/2 weeks from seed. Started flowering about 1 1/2 weeks ago. I am surprised at how healthy it is. The roots are extremely healthy also. I have kept the lighting at 20/4 the entire grow. Added an airstone to the resevoir and am using Advanced Nutrients. Anyway, just an experiment to see if the AG would grow something. I am actually impressed so far, I mean for a tabletop grow. We'll see what happens.

Attached Files:

2. Woah! I am impressed for 5 1/2 weeks.

3. always wonder what those did with MJ plants. What model is it? on the official aerogarden site theres like 3 different models

4. Thanks, I think it looks good for 5 1/2 weeks too, but I haven't ever grown an autoflowering strain, so I'm not sure what they are suppposed to look like at that age. And, I have never grown in anything but soil. Supposedly from seed to harvest in 10 weeks. We shall see...

5. It is the Pro 200. I think that is the only one with three cfl's. It came w/ it's own nutes, but I went with AN instead.

6. Nice, my dad got that exact one on xmas. Pretty impressive I gotta show him those pics.

7. please keep this updated! Will definetly buy this just for a mini personal grow.

8. Well, wait before you buy. I've got 4 weeks left, let's see if will produce anything. I don't think this Auto AK47 produces a whole lot anyway. I have better lights, but since this is just an experiment, I am going to just use the lights that came with it...and a couple side lights. Here's some pics from today. Tomorrow they will be 6 weeks from seed. Bottom pic is of the root system. The reservoir is only 1 gallon.

By the way, the holes are covered up with golf balls. They fit perfectly to block out light.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      299.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      286 KB
      Views:
    • roots.jpg
      roots.jpg
      File size:
      133.7 KB
      Views:
  9. very impressive!

10. Here are some updated pics. They are about 6 weeks from seed. They have the claw leaf thing going on. What causes that?

Attached Files:

11. I am growing a lowlife AK-47/Blueberry cross under 54 watts of LED lighting, I've gotten good results, but nowhere near yours, it appears my female is light limited. So-o-o I think I'd like
    to copy your setup! What about your secondary lighting, how many watts, and what color? Do you do anything else? I usually manually "mist" mine with a hand-held sprayer.

BTW, I chose the AK-47/Blueberry because it's supposed to only grow to half the height of the AK-47 Autoflower, which is better suited for my 54 watt LED grow

Cheers!

12. I just finished lowrider2 . You will like the smoke. By the looks of yours, your do pretty well yield wise too. Your going into the grow like crazy stage. It will be fun the watch. Good luck.

13. Thanks! I will post updated pics tomorrow.

14. I don't do anything else. No misting or anything. I just change the resevoir once weekly, use Advanced Nutrients, added an air stone to the res and that's it....it's been very easy.

I really just wanted to see if the AG would take it to maturity and yield an OK amount. I have seen lots of threads started with the use of the AeroGarden, but never saw any of them complete. So, we'll see. So far so good. New pics tomorrow.

15. What size and color was your second CFL light? How do you introduce plants to the aerogarden, it looks like they come with small plastic capsules for vegetables, do you
    put seeds or after they germinate, how exactly. Also the Aerogarden has some sort of settings for 'plant type', I'm guessing they don't have a cannabis setting :( which one do you use? Sorry for asking so much, but your results are incredible, worthy of emulation!

16. Now I'm getting excited! The Aerogarden is quite hackable! See here

http://www.aerogardendirect.com/pro...catalog&pageName=product&viewProduct=0011-00Z

This lets you use your own seeds. Sweet!

So requirements are:

1. One aerogarden 200
    2. DIY seed pod kit
    3. Extra adjustable lamp and...
    4. CFL Daylight 105 watt available from
    http://www.1000bulbs.com/
    5. Advanced nutrients from
    /www.advancednutrientsmedical.ca
    6. timer
    7. power strip

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! My 54 watt LED setup was interesting
    but just not enough light, maybe I can figure out a way to make it work as a
    supplemental light for the Aerogarden

17. I don't even know what wattage or color the extra lights are. I just found some old cfl's, didn't really pay attention. I think they are very low wattage and probably aren't contributing a whole lot.

The AG 200 has a setting for a 24 hour light cycle. I used that cycle and then put my own timer on it. I have had the lights on a 20/4 schedule since day one.

Basically, I put the empty plugs in, like the ones you referenced in your link. The AG 200 comes w/ that kit. I germinated the seeds in a paper towel until the tap root popped out. Then, just put them in the little foam things and they were out and growing in one day. I started with five seeds and all were male except this one.

However, I don't think the AG reservoir would be large enough to house more than two females. The roots on this one plant take up most of the res. Extemely healthy roots though.

All in all, I think this AG was a great introduction to hydroponics for me....but, I think for the money, you would be better off finding a small hydro system and adding a small HPS. I only have about 2 1/2 more weeks (around that) and the buds on mine seem a little small. They have alot of growing to do in that time. However, they are numerous.

The convenience and portability of the AG was cool at first, but once you realize you could do the same exact thing w/ a larger hydro system and stronger light, I don't know if it is worth it. However, I think it would make an excellent place to put clones! That's what I think I will use it for on the next round.

Anyway, I will put pics up tonight. Didn't have batteries for the camera, so will have to wait.

18. You have one of the nicest looking micro-grows I've ever seen and it looks you have to do far less work than others have had to do. I agree with you about long term, but I find it's best to start out small to gain some knowledge before attempting larger scale projects. On the other hand two females of the right autoflower would last me a LONG time!

I've been doing LED grow experiments with autoflowers, it works, but when the plants get larger the lower branches are cut off from the light, the 54 watts I'm using just isn't enough.

I suspect I'll copy you, but add an 85 watt high temp (daylight) CFL, I'm guessing that the aerogarden comes with a 105 watt bulb, but who knows..??

Based on what you say about the roots, a bubbler sounds mandatory, I don't see anywhere near that amount of root development on the soil grows I had been doing.

I wonder about non autoflowering with this setup? Pick a shorter variety, and induce flowering sooner, so it doesn't grow so high....

Lowlife seeds is supposed to be releasing some new ones in a month or so...???

I drool over the following autoflower variety:

http://www.ganja.co.uk/cannabis-seeds/doggies-nuts-cannabis-seeds/big-bad-john.htm

I don't know if it's real or not, haven't read any reviews, I guess because of the price.

19. some people empty and replenish the nutrients in the Aerogarden resovoir and some don't, what do you recommend.

BTW, it looks like the CFl's in the Aerogarden are (3) 26 Watt bulbs and probably have a color temperature more suited for vegging than flowering, you might want to add a warm 2700 k bulb, check out info on CFL color temp for veg/flower cycle

Are you doing any PH monitoring?

20. Yes, I empty and replenish the reservoir once a week and top it off daily w/ just plain distilled water. I have been using distilled water the whole time.

The lights in the Pro200 model are different than the others. And, there are three of them. I do have better lights, but, for the sake of an experiment, I did not bring them out. I wanted to see how they would do without anything extra. Otherwise, if you are going to add a bunch of lights, etc. You could build a cheaper system. I just wanted to see what a "plug and grow" system would do.

I test the ph daily. I keep it between 5.5 - 5.7.

New pics on the next post. Thanks!