STEALTH MINI FRIDGE - Auto Berry Ryder

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by jdn5017, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Evening blades. This will be my first INDOOR grow. I am in the process of completing my conversion of an old mini fridge into a stealthy grow box.

I germed a feminized Berry Ryder on 4/20 which has popped and will be going into dirt soon.

In the next couple of days, I'll post an update here with a much more in depth run through of what I have done so far and what I plan on accomplishing with this run.

I'm super excited to be doing a stealth grow and also to be using autoflower seeds, both of which I am utterly unfamiliar with, its going to be hella fun!

2. Alright then, lets get down to brass tacks. Following are some pictures of my fridge and a run down of whats going on:

• Interior dimensions (HxWxD) are 21"x16"x15"
      2x23W 2700k CFL
      2x21W 6500k CFL
      3x1" passive intake
      1x4" exhaust fan
      current average room temps are 80

I gutted all of the coils from the fridge, cut out the intake and exhaust holes, removed the door, painted flat white, installed the wiring and fan, sealed with caulk and added a fairly primitive, but servicable light trap (not pictured).

[​IMG]
    lights off

[​IMG]
    lights on

Winona, my Berry Ryder, is currently in a pot of dimensions (LxWxD) 16"x7.5"x6". I am using FFOF. Hopefully she will poke her little cotyledons out fairly soon so we can get off and running. Light schedule will initially be 18/6, but may change depending on speed of growth and/or space constraints.

Since I will only have about 10-12" of actual growing space for her, Winona will be heavily LST'ed. I have been reading up on it a lot and am going to be referencing VokaL's LST Method as well as his first grow journal during my process since he specifically was working to make plants as fruitful as possible within similar, if not exact, space constraints.

Here's just a couple more pictures of my girl first popping her taproot in a paper towel (THE ONLY GERMINATION METHOD WORTH USING, EVER) and a shot of her in her pot inside the box:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As a final note, things that I still need to do: grab some stuff to stack under the pot itself to get it nice and snug up against those lights soon, buy a small oscillating fan from Wal-Mart, build a carbon scrubber to further increase stealth, and maybe look into purchasing a pH meter. Any other suggestions that you guys have for me? What else could I do to get more light in? How do you guys feel about getting a 135W UFO LED in here? and good suggestions for a carbon scrubber? How will installing one affect my fan output?

Hope to hear any and all feedback from the GC community and looking forward to a (hopefully) smooth ride with this! My next update will be when Winona comes out to play, so everyone send your good vibes for sooner rather than later!

3. Nice, I've got a stealth fridge going as well. Still waiting for my clones to take off! Are you going to add anymore lights later?

4. Looks good man. I'm along for the ride. If you get a chance I suggest getting one of the large 65 or 90 watt 2700k lights in there. Home Depot sells them and I'd throw that in after 2-3 weeks when it flies itself to flower.

5. Awesome dude! I really like stealth designs so i'm gonna pop over to your thread to check it out in a second.

To reply to both of your questions, I definitely am going to be trying to get more light into the space, how is my main question though. If i try to add CFLs or replace the current set up with larger output bulbs, I'm going to start running my space too hot. I think I read some where also, that you want at least approx 80-100W per plant and about 10K lumens per plant as well. I'm just about in those ranges with my current set up....So for now this is going to have to suffice. I would really like to add a [url="http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-7-Band-135w-UFO-LED.asp"135W UFO LED[/url] to my set up. It would reduce heat, increase overall wattage and increase (i think) space in my box.

6. To be honest I'd stay away from the UFO. I haven't heard many things that make them worth the money. Spoken with ppl at hydro stores that say they'd rather use t5's. also the big cfl I was talking about gives off less heat then my 23w 6500k cfl. Also you can never have to much light. Cfls make airy fluffy buds as is so I think the more you can fit the better.

7. Really now?? hmmm this is good information to have..time to go to HD soon then :)

8. When is a good time to start feeding nutes to an autoflower? I only bought FF Tiger Bloom (2-8-4). Since I'm working in such a small space, I dont want to use any nutes for veg.

9. I'd wait till you get a second set of leaves.....but I'm a hydro guy.

10. BLADES! THIS IS SO EXCITING! WINONA HAS ALREADY COME OUT TO PLAY!!!

[​IMG]

Germed her on 420, into soil Sunday night, and already poking out of the soil and showing the first sign of leaves (beyond cotyledons)

Temps at soil level are at 84 though :/ what can I do to bring this down? Will installing the fan I plan on using inside the box be enough do you think??

Anyways, I'm excited as all hell. Day 3 and I have a little sprout already!

11. A fan will help a lot with temp issues. If you're using FFOF soil, you won't need any additional nutes for 3-4 weeks.

I'd like to see how this turns out. Subbed.

12. Thanks man! Going to be getting a fan in there by lights out today so I'll hopefully have temp issues under control by this afternoon.

13. Just make sure you have some cooler air being drawn into that fridge. A fan wont do much if you're just circulating hot air.

14. Yea, I ran some quick math on the area of intake I have (approx 3 square in) and by comparison, my exhaust area is about 12.5 square in. Ill be cutting a couple more holes into the box today as well. I just don't want to have leaks out of the intakes so I won't have a smell issue when installing a carbon scrubber.

15. Nice man. I would def go led then for your setup. I would check out cidly Apollo s they are your best bang for your buck and they have all different sizes I'm getting a Apollo 10 that pushes 380 true watts

16. I've never experimented with led's. I've read a lot of mixed reviews though...

Have you used that setup? If you did, how were the results? My interest is piqued. I'm in a situation right now where low heat led's could be very useful. The thing is, it's hard to find anything online as far as solid reviews that would seal the deal for me.

17. Yes they Work but you can't buy the cheap china UFO ones .your gonna spend $300 + but the best bang for buck are the blackstars, cidly s, and prosource Worldwwide illuminators. Anything else you looking at big $

18. That sounds great, but I would need more than "Yes they work" from random internet guy before dropping three hundo on anything.

Have you used them, and how were your results? Got any pics or links to unbiased reviews? There's no such thing as too much info.

19. Yeah check out my grow going on now in scrog

20. I have a 240watt blackstar uv with a foot print of 3'x2' growing 2 plants in scrog and before that I used it to grow the one I'm about to harvest from seed untill about halfway through flower. Then half the lights went out on it and I had to send for a new one. So then u had to borrow a 400watt hps while I was waiting for a new one so I can't say results yet