300w LED + Alien Blackberry grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Kill a Watt, Feb 5, 2013.

1. #1 Kill a Watt, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
    What up. Been lurking around the led threads and finally decided to do a grow thread with my new LED. I’ve been on the fence for a while and decided to take the leap after seeing some success with other peoples grow. After doing much research, I decided to get some quality parts instead of ordering the ones made in china. The Chinese fixtures are cheaper initially but who knows what is under the hood? Could be a sweet ferrari body with a kia engine lol. Anywho, on with the show. I decided to go with a shorter strain and chose the Alien Blackberry for that purpose. It finishes anywhere between 2.5-4’. Soil will be the grow medium. I’m curious how much yield will result from this light.

-This is a legal prop 215 grow-

This is what I will be working with
    •\t1” thick foam walls with reflective material
    Shop 1-in x 4-ft x 8-ft Expanded Polystyrene Insulated Sheathing at Lowes.com
    (originally was going with a tent but concerns with heat retention made me reconsider)
    •\t15 Alien Blackberry clones
    •\tSoil
    •\t1 or 2 gallon pots
    •\t300w custom LED from LEDSUPPLY.com
    *Carbon scrubber & fan will be added before the flip*

2. Let's start with the ladies. Some are already much taller than others and that might play into shading so I'm going to set the taller ones on the edges.

Attached Files:

• ab1.jpg
      ab1.jpg
      File size:
      314.5 KB
      Views:
    • ab2.jpg
      ab2.jpg
      File size:
      308.6 KB
      Views:
    • ab3.jpg
      ab3.jpg
      File size:
      269.9 KB
      Views:
  3. Here is the LED fixture. I forgot to put on some shades when I turned it on – super bright.

It fluctuates between 309w and 311w

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. #4 Kill a Watt, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
    Building this was a true learning experience. Thankfully ledsupply had some great techs that helped me through the build. I took some photos and made instructions.

I went with a 3' makersled heatsink from ledsupply.com

Here are the parts & materials I used to make the fixture.

(1) MakersLED Heatsink Kit w/ Hanger – from LEDSupply for $49.92/Ft (MakersLED Heatsink Kit - LED Supply.com)
    (36) Deep-Red Luxeon Rebel LEDs – from LEDSupply for $6.94ea (Deep-Red 1-Up EndorStar)
    (9) Red Luxeon Rebel LEDs – from LEDSupply for $5.28ea (Red 1-Up EndorStar)
    (9) Red-Orange Luxeon Rebel LEDs – from LEDSupply for $5.28ea (Red-Orange 1-Up EndorStar)
    (18) Royal-Blue Luxeon Rebel LEDs – from LEDSupply for $4.60ea (Royal-Blue 1-Up EndorStar - LEDSupply.com)
    (18) Warm-White Cree XM-L LEDs – from LEDSupply for $7.94ea (Warm-White Cree XM-L Star LED - LED Supply.com)
    (6) 700mA FlexBlock LUXdrive Drivers – from LEDSupply for $17.99ea (http://www.ledsupply.com/0a011-d-v-700.php)
    (3) 1000mA BuckBlock LUXdrive Drivers – from LEDSupply for $17.99ea (A009-D-V-1000 BuckBlock - LED Supply.com)
    (3) 1400mA BuckBlock LUXdrive Drivers – from LEDSupply for $17.99ea (A009-D-V-1400 BuckBlock - LED Supply.com)
    (3) 24VDC 4.5AMP Power-Supplies – from LEDSupply for $34.99ea (24VDC 100-Watt Power Supply - LED Supply.com)
    (1) 12VDC 1.0AMP Power-Supply – from LEDSupply for $9.99ea (12VDC 12 Watt Power Supply - LED Supply.com)
    (3) Arctic Silver Thermal Epoxy – from LEDSupply for $15.99ea (Arctic Silver : ASTA : Thermal Adhesive - LED Supply.com)
    (75') Red 24AWG Stranded Wire – from LEDSupply for $0.25/ft (24 Gauge AWG Wire - LED Supply.com)
    (50') Black 24 AWG Stranded Wire – from LEDSupply for $0.25/ft (24 Gauge AWG Wire - LED Supply.com)
    (30') White 24 AWG Stranded Wire – from LEDSupply for $0.25/ft (24 Gauge AWG Wire - LED Supply.com)
    (20') Blue 24 AWG Stranded Wire – from LEDSupply for $0.25/ft (24 Gauge AWG Wire - LED Supply.com)
    (30') Orange 24 AWG Stranded Wire – from LEDSupply for $0.25/ft (24 Gauge AWG Wire - LED Supply.com)
    (12') 2 Conductor Shield Wire – from LEDSupply (LED Accessories | Arctic Silver Adhesive | LEDSupply.com)
    Heat-Shrinking Material – from LEDSupply (LED Accessories | Arctic Silver Adhesive | LEDSupply.com)

Tools, Equipment and resources needed to get the job done
    Solder Iron & Solder
    Wire Strippers
    Tweezers
    Hand-held Drill
    Latex Gloves
    Philips Screw Driver
    10mm Wrench
    Wiring Schematic
    FlexBlock Data Sheet (Boost-Only Mode Wiring Diagram)
    Red, Black & Blue Sharpie Markers

5. Here are some general step by step of what I did to build it. I might have missed a step but pretty sure I covered everything.

•\tOrganize Materials [​IMG] – Double-check all part#'s & quantities
    •\tAdd Solder to ALL solder pads on EVERY LED
    •\tDOT LED location on heatsink w/ appropriate color sharpie markers [​IMG]
    1.\tSee LED Schematic
    2.\tMeasure, Mark & Divide the heatsink into equal 3rds (DOT 1-foot at a time)
    3.\t“Approximately” (start 1” in from end and space DOTs 2-inches apart)

6. •\tApply Epoxy & Place LEDs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1.\tSet-up correct pattern of LEDs before applying epoxy
    2.\tMix appropriate amount of Epoxy (5-minute cure time) – Shoot for 8-LEDs every 5-minutes
    3.\tHold LED in left hand between index finger and thumb [​IMG]
    4.\tApply Epoxy down center [​IMG], Rotate 25-degrees in fingers and Epoxy down Center [​IMG], Rotate opposite direction 50-degrees and Epoxy down center
    5.\tPlace LED over appropriate DOT on heatsink
    6.\tPUSH down with Right hand [​IMG]

7. •\tSolder 1st Circuit (1st Foot) – Repeat Steps for 2nd & 3rd Circuit (2nd & 3rd Foot)
    1.\tCheck LED/WIRING Schematic
    2.\tWire Royal-Blue LEDs: [​IMG]
    3.\tWire Deep-Red LEDs: [​IMG]
    4.\tWire Reds & Red-Orange: [​IMG]
    5.\tWire Warm-White LEDs: [​IMG]

8. •\tComplete EACH circuit with Positive & Negative Wires
    1.\tFor the Positive Wire use the appropriate COLOR WIRE for the color of the LED (Red Wire for Deep-Red Circuit, Orange Wire for Red & Red-Orange Circuit, White Wire for Warm-White Circuit and Blue Wire for Royal-Blue Circuit)
    2.\tUse Black for ALL Negative connections
    3.\tCut ALL these wires long enough to run to the side (where drill holes will evenutally be) and be run up through the heatsink with enough wire to work with [​IMG]
    •\tDrill Holes for Wire (See above pic for reference)
    1.\tThere will be six holes per side
    2.\tRun Positive & Negative wires neatly and in the straightest path to the side of heat-sink and determine where all the holes need to be drilled. Mark & Drill.

9. •\tRun Wires through Drill-Holes & Tape to the side of the heat-sink
    •\tSolder Positive & Negative wires to Positive & Negative Output Wires of APPROPRIATE LED Driver:
    1.\t(700mA FlexBock for Deep-Red in Boost-Only Mode)(700mA FlexBock for Red & Red-Orange)(1000mA BuckBlock for Royal-Blue)(1400mA BuckBlock for Warm-White)
    2.\tConnections are made by stripping back both wires, adding heat-shrink tubing to wires [​IMG], Solder wires together and cover connection with heat-shrink
    3.\tCut away excess wire before stripping to save space [​IMG]
    4.\tCut away dimming wires and tape over end of wire [​IMG]
    5.\tSpecial Connection must be make for Deep-Red Circuit (see FlexBock Datasheet for Boost-Only mode connection diagram)
    6.\t[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Locate ALL Red & Black INPUT wires on the LED Drivers and TAPE them to the side of the heat-sink [​IMG]
    One-Foot at a time: Solder RED wire to RED Wire on LED Drivers, long enough to stretch the length of the heat-sink [​IMG]
    One-Foot at a time: Solder Black wire to Black Wire on LED Drivers, long enough to stretch the length of the heat-sink [​IMG]
    Connect ALL Red wires to each other (see pic above)
    Connect ALL Black wires to each other [​IMG]

11. •\tConnect ALL Red wires to the Red wire on the 2 Conductor cable [​IMG] [​IMG]
    •\tConnect ALL Black wires to the Black wire on the 2 Conductor Cable[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    •\tHeat-Shrink Red & Black Connections to the 2 Conductor Cable [​IMG] [​IMG]
    •\tConnector 2 Conductor Red & Black wires to appropriate Power-Supply Output [​IMG]
    •\tConnect Power-Supply CORD to Power-Supply, Wire with writing goes to “L” on Power-Supply (see pic above)

12. •\tPlug in the Power-Supply to TEST that the 1st Foot Lights-Up!
    •\tRepeat for the next two-feet [​IMG]
    •\tEpoxy Drivers to side of heat-sink [​IMG], while the Epoxy is drying the drivers may need something to hold them against the heat-sink
    •\tPosition fans, writing up [​IMG]
    •\tRun Fan wiring to central location [​IMG]

13. I dont know ANYTHING about LED's but reps to you for your time and effort!

j

14. Great thread. Very informative.. I'm using a led with an hps.. I got an appollo so its chinese parts american made.. its only a 130w but in combo with a 400hps I've seen great results.. I'd really like to build my own next.. subd & +rep

15. • Cut excess wire
    • Don't use yellow
    • Attach ALL REDs, Attach ALL Blacks
    • Strip off barrel plug on 12VDC 1.0AMP fan power-supply and expose wires, wire with writing is Positive
    • Attach and heat-shrink RED wires to positive wire on power-supply
    • Attach and heat-shrink BLACK wires to Negative wire on power-supply
    • Hide excess cords and wires along edge of heat-sink and run plug out with the other wires
    • Attach rubber end plugs (use soap and water)
    • Attach end caps
    • Attach Hangers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. No, THank you J. your knowledge is golden

thanks. just trying to spread the love around here. how many watts are each led?

17. you got more patience than I brother , I woulda blown that up with a shotgun if i had to put all of that together, hope its worth it good luck blade

18. [quote name='"Kill a Watt"']

No, THank you J. your knowledge is golden

thanks. just trying to spread the love around here. how many watts are each led?[/quote]

3w x 60bulbs...

19. dark,

nothing ventured, nothing gained. :)

ninetailz,

have you ran a full cycle with the leds yet?

20. hey brother not complaining you get reps from e for doing it, I cant wait to see pics, hell if they look good you may convert me lol....