Humboldt Seed Organisation - Blue Dream(Trial)

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by fubarslab, Nov 19, 2012.

1. #1 fubarslab, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2012
    Hi everyone! I decided to finally make a thread dedicated to my blue dream grow. Currently I am in Day 22 of flower, so it's a little later than I wanted to start, but better late than never. I have been growing for a few years now and like most of you have spent the majority of that time trying many different strains, both seed and clone, to try to find the best quality medicine around. I live in Michigan so finding GREAT genetics can be a bit of a headache if looking around locally. There are dispensaries with seeds that are usually past their prime, and I have heard countless stories of contaminated clones; so I decided to order some seeds through Attitude to find some great genetics that are not only in high demand, but are hard to find using the current seed/clone vendors in the area.

Blue Dream- one of the most demanded strains at my compassion club, and is extremely rare around here as the only 'real' blue dream was flown in from Cali obviously. When I found that Humboldt Seed Organisation, a new seed bank, was offering Blue Dream - I had to give it a whirl.

My flower room measures roughly 12x15, has 4, 1Kwatt Magnum XXXL hoods running lumatek bulbs/ballasts on superlumen mode. The hoods are air cooled by outside air, and exhaust back outside. I am running a Soleus A/C unit and Co2 in the room, keeping the temps between 56F-76F, and co2 at 1500ppm. Dehumidifier to keep humidity between 30-40% with little spikes.

My Veg room measures roughly 15x15 and has 2, 600watt Adjust-A-Wing reflectors running lumatek bulbs, china-made ballasts. No A/C or Co2 in Veg. temps fluctuate between 70F-83F or so. dehumidifier to keep humidity ~40%, rarely spikes.

I used to use a mixture of Fox Farm and Advanced Nutrients but recently switched to using only the Canna line of nutrients. I feel like they're nutrients are a bit 'cleaner' and I noticed there is better resin production with Canna, although they are really expensive. The main drawback I have noticed from this line is a lack of nitrogen during flowering. It could just be the strains, or obviously user-error but even when using the base at it's highest recommended application rate, I still notice yellowing occur during the early weeks of flowering on most strains.

I am using a semi-soil medium, with a 50/50 mix of Advanced Sunshine Mix #4, and Pro-Mix. I feed every other watering using RO water pH'd to 6.5(after mixing any nutes). I think that should provide a clear enough image to the details of the garden.

Popping the beans: The blue dream from HSO popped very fast using the paper towel method and shortly after they were put into 1gallon pots.

View attachment 1034210

Veg: I vegged them for roughly 10 weeks because I had to wait on the current garden to be harvested and it was probably one of the best decisions I could have made. I aggressively topped and supercropped them throughout the veg period and watched them develop the most amazing structure. I had transplanted them into 7 gallon pots very early in veg and they seemed to really enjoy it, they got very bushy. As these plants were going INTO flower, they were an inch or 2 taller than the Chernobyl's that were being harvested from the previous grow. Also they were starting to develop that unmistakable blue dream smell, I am extremely excited for these girls going into flower!

ForumRunner_20121119_102502.png

ForumRunner_20121119_102521.png

ForumRunner_20121119_102541.png

Flower: After a week into flower, of the 9 original seeds that germinated, I discover that ALL 9 of the girls are female! The girls are getting enormous and starting to fill out and I can really start to see some of the different traits expressed through the different phenos(at least 3 different ones.) The girls are starting to yellow out from the low-ratio of nitrogen in feedings, their size, and the cool temps causing a delay between water/feedings. I used to have to feed every 2-3 days, but with the current temperatures that time-frame has changed to every 4-5 days. One of the girls is also starting to show calcium deficiency even after feeding twice in a row to green them up a bit with mild success..I'll have to keep an eye on her.

[​IMG]

attempt at getting a full pic of one girl:
    [​IMG]

Early flowers:
    [​IMG]

TODAY: The flowers are looking a little small, but that's to be expected with Sativa's. Although one has a bit fatter, indica looking leaves and on that one the node structure seems to be close enough to allow those flowers to grow into one big bud... We shall see! There is definitely a LOT of flower sites. Everything seems to be going fairly well at this point, they are a bit yellowed, as you can see by comparison to the chernobyl's in the first picture below. I am also flowering Sensi Star, Chernobyl, Church and a small Pineapple Express this crop. Only the sensi star and blue dream seem to be yellowing though, any thoughts? They are about a week ahead of the chernobyl/church/pe but they have had the same feeding schedule(though the chernobyl/church/pe were double-fed a week earlier into their flowering than the BD/SensiStar.)

notice the difference in shades of green between the Blue Dream & Sensi Star on the left, against the Chernobyl/Church on the Right.

ForumRunner_20121119_105353.png

bad attempt at trying to get a single plant into the pic:

ForumRunner_20121119_105447.png

ForumRunner_20121119_105534.png

ForumRunner_20121119_105556.png

Sativa flowers:

ForumRunner_20121119_105648.png

The plant that looks more indica/high-yielding

ForumRunner_20121119_105751.png

Subscribe and stay tuned for updates! :) Peace & Pot!

-Fubar

Attached Files:

2. subbed! excited to see the results.

3. Happy Thanksgiving everyone! The blue dream are on day 25 of flower and I just noticed today that they are starting to get a little frosty already! The nitrogen issue seems to be slowly working its way out. I decided to add 1tsp. of cal-mag to every feeding AND watering since I'm using an RO filter. I also picked up some Dark Energy to add to the next feeding that will make more metals available to plant, while adding additional nitrogen as well(2-0-0). Copper is a semi-metal if I remember correctly.. I'm also getting much more religious about humic and folvic acids, they play a lot bigger role than I would have imagined.

Flowers are starting to develop some frost:

ForumRunner_20121122_095658.png

The reflectors are almost 6 feet high, pretty soon that fan will be completely hidden:

ForumRunner_20121122_095751.png

The best looking sativa dominant female so far:

ForumRunner_20121122_095842.png

More indica dominant female.. looks like a heavier producer:

ForumRunner_20121122_095959.png

Happy Turkey Day!

-Fubar

4. Looking superb over here bro !!!

5. Dude I love the room. Im from MI too. I also am starting a similar setup. A lil smaller room 8*9.5*8. 4x1000w and blue dream was a must to start my collection I just poped the beans yesterday and startin to pop today putting in soil hot house tomm. Would love to compare results and possibally get advice while growing this strain as I dont want to be disappointed in my fav strain. *First time grower*

6. Update - Day 32

Everything seems to be going fairly good in the garden. The smell is getting a bit more noticeable when working through the garden with that sharp, crisp, almost metallic blue dream smell! I am getting very excited for the last few weeks! There is definitely quite a few varieties of phenos within the garden, displaying quite a few different trait combinations. They all look pretty good but I'm going to hold off on judging which are the best until dried, weighed and smoked.

The nitrogen deficiency seems to be getting a bit better, 2 of the 9 have gotten most of their green color back but most of them are still quite yellowish, just a bit of the base of the leaves are starting to green up again. They are definitely heavy N-feeders and I might even go as far as to recommend adding a small amount(~1mL/gal) of nitrogen boost during the 2nd week of flowering to keep them a nice lush green. ( Keep in mind my fertilizer has a low N-ratio, this probably won't be necessary for all feeding schedules.)

My room is extremely packed because of these girls, they take up a LOT of space, so make sure you plan accordingly. I didn't think they would be as wide as they are and I was planning on at least 1 being a male so my garden is beyond full, with ~5 less plants than I normally can put in there. Also, because they were topped and supercropped so aggressively I decided to put stakes in them and LST the bigger branches out, to give some light to the lower foliage with great success, this strain definitely enjoys a little abuse.

FYI: All of these pics are taken through a Method 7 lens to 'white balance' the photos even though they look like there's no filter.

Side-by-side Blue Dream(Left), Chernobyl(Right)
    Notice the difference in leaf color
    2012-11-29 09.00.55.jpg

Cola's are developing nicely
    2012-11-29 09.01.23.jpg

Quite the variation of traits
    2012-11-29 09.01.38.jpg

More Trait-Variation, The bigger blue dream, that's further back has some of it's green color returned
    2012-11-29 09.01.58.jpg

Wide-angle of the Blue Dream garden, the plants in the center that are truly green are Sensi Star & a tiny Pineapple Express
    2012-11-29 09.04.03.jpg

Close-up, frost starting to build
    2012-11-29 09.11.06.jpg

Another close-up
    2012-11-29 09.11.38.jpg

Peace & Pot

7. Right on p29 and good luck to you! If you have any general questions feel free to ask them here so that anyone can read/respond, if you need something more specific feel free to PM me! :smoking:

8. #9 TroutTalker, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
    You are giving me jungle fever :) I have been adding 2 ml of grow per gal of water for my bd.prob will till week 4 of flower to keep that lush greenery everyone desires.You can really push this strain with the nutes. Tom I stepping up to 200% strength. Looking great over here fubar !!!

9. Thanks TT, it looks like your garden is coming along nicely too! You're right, it's truly amazing how much nutrients these girls use. I have been feeding regularly with an EC of 2.0-2.4 every other watering and adding calmag regardless of nutes. Even with all of those nutrients they didn't start to green up until I started adding ~1-1.5mL(15 drops) of Nitrogen Boost BETWEEN feedings, and most of them are still N-deficient. Does anyone know if this is a characteristic of the "real" Blue Dream(clone-only)?

10. Can I get a peek at the garden ?

11. #12 fubarslab, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2012
    Update - Day 40

Hey everyone, sorry for the delay between updates, I've been busy preparing the girls for the NEXT crop, but that's another thread. The Blue Dream are coming along quite nicely going into week 6, they still are nitrogen deficient but it looks like 3 of them are going to actually get green again just in time to start natural leaf yellowing.

The flowers themselves are packing on the weight and starting to fill out pretty nicely. There is nothing homogeneous about these seeds at all, there are so many slight variations between the plants that no 2 are going to produce the same as far as I can tell.

The smell is getting increasingly stronger and I feel as though these girls have a pretty strong stink to them, more than average I would say. The frost is also starting to pile on. The hairs are just barely starting to turn a bright orange color starting at the beginning of week 5. That signifies to me that hopefully they won't have an exceptionally long flowering period, but we shall see!

The Garden, notice the Sensi Star that's actually green(and just as far into flower as the BD) right in the middle
    IMG393.jpg

3 Trait variations:
    IMG394.jpg

The pheno with the largest cola's:
    IMG395.jpg

The most sativa dominant female(cola's about half the size as the plant pictured above):
    IMG396.jpg

The 3 greenest Blue Dream:
    IMG397.jpg

Flower shot:
    IMG402.jpg

Peace & Pot
    -Fubar

12. Go go gadget buds. Things look great. Thanks for doing this thread. I am curious to see how long they take to finish too. 9 weeks would be great.

13. WOW! Looks like someone else will be "Peaking" on this garden too!

Looks Senzational!!

Great work & thanks for sharing!

14. Even with all of those nutrients they didn't start to green up until I started adding ~1-1.5mL(15 drops) of Nitrogen Boost BETWEEN feedings, and most of them are still N-deficient. Does anyone know if this is a characteristic of the "real" Blue Dream(clone-only)?

I wish a Cali grower would answer this or someone that has grown the real "blue dream" I am starting to think though that we got the real cut from what I have been reading up on...but you know everything on the intrawebs is true lol. I am doing their trainwreck which is suppose to be a Cali cut as well. I have smoked it once my life and this stuff smells spot on. I am starting to think HSO might be the real thing. I like a pleasant surprise.

15. Looking good bro, i cant wait to start running my HSOs.

16. Thanks internetdan! planning on posting a journal on GC?

TT, it definitely looks like they were pretty selective in choosing the parents to breed out the strain again. It's too bad it's not a little more stable, but it definitely looks like it'll be a decent harvest. I have a feeling it's going to be tough to find 1-2 of these phenps to be mothers, although I can imagine worse jobs. ;)

Peace&Pot,
    -Fubar

17. Yeah ill start a thread for sure

18. i really like your grow and blue dream..shit looks too legit to quit