Royal Dwarf - CFL - Stealth(ish) Chest of Drawers Grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Kushty, Oct 14, 2012.

1. :wave:

This is my first grow, gonna keep things simple and grow one feminized autoflowering plant. It needs to be stealthy to a certain degree as I'm living in a shared student house so just in case someone pops there head in the door (viewings, repair men etc).

Specs:

• Dimensions- 76x43x91 cm (30x17x35 inches)
    • Outtake- 120mm Arctic F12 fan, hooked up to a 12V 1.5A router charger
    • Passive Intake
    • 200W Dual Spectrum CFL
    • 13L pot

Plant:

Soil & Fert:

Some comments:

• The bulbs literally half blue half red spectrum. At the moment I've got the 6500k part pointing downwards and I plan to rotate it when she starts flowering
    • Run lights 24/0 till harvest
    • LST after 5th/6th node
    • I'll be watering with tap water. I was initially worried about chlorine/chloramine but after doing some research it seems the UK has a lot lower levels for this that the US and my town in particular shouldn't have much afaik

So far:

• Germinate by leaving it in water for 24 hours, then placing straight into the pot (9th Oct)
    • Seedling breaks the surface! (13th Oct)
    • Still trying to find the optimal watering amount to obtain 1/3 runoff, I'll water with 1L next time and I think that should be about right

To do:

• Build a reflector, I've got mylar on the ceiling of the box so I'm thinking when the light's raised to the top that will do a pretty good job. Is it worth making a reflector in the mean time? Not sure how I could make it cheap and get it attached easily
    • Make a DIY carbon filter for the exhaust in time for flowering
    • Test tap/runoff water PH levels (awaiting delivery of PH test paper strips)
    • Fix a few light leaks at the intake, outake and back of the unit

I'll update regularly with photo's & please share any comments/feedback you have! Thanks!

:smoke:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. First slight concern..

After about 20 hours under the light the seedling seems to be leaning towards the left of the box. I turned the pot 180 and have tried to place it more centered (hence the direction on the photos).

Also the cotyledons seem to be slightly curled over or are we all good?

Attached Files:

3. Seedling day 3

It's straightened up some since since I've moved the pot round which is good.

Bit worried that I've mixed in too much perlite. The top inch of soil is getting pretty dry within a day or so nearly..

Attached Files:

4. How's she looking? Growth seems to be slower than I was expecting..

I've been watering with about 1L every couple of days to keep the top inch of soil moist.

Attached Files:

5. Looks good patience. Don't stress too much. It's a weed, let it grow like one. Growth should excelerate in a week or so then it's goin to grow by the second

6. Awesome man, thanks. :smoke:

Only just realised how light green the blue spectrum light makes her as well.. :p was worried she was starting to turn yellow. Gave the light a little spin and she was a much more natural darker green colour ^.^

7. [quote name='"Kushty"']Awesome man, thanks. :smoke:

Only just realised how light green the blue spectrum light makes her as well.. :p was worried she was starting to turn yellow. Gave the light a little spin and she was a much more natural darker green colour ^.^[/quote]

Lol we tend to worry a lot more. Once you get some grow time under your belt you'll be like fuck that plant and it'll create a beauty that's out of this world. Lol

8. I think I'm guilty of overwatering...

I was watering every other day at the start and she started going quite droopy. Haven't watered in 5 days now, gonna wait till the pot is superrr light. It seems to have helped a bit so far.

Can't really see it in the bad quality photo's but one of the new leaves has a brown tip on it. Is this also from overwatering? or something more sinister? :confused:

Attached Files:

9. Left it 10 days before I watered and it seems to done the trick. The newer leaves are a darker shade and growth is picking up pace.

So good times! :smoke:

Attached Files:

10. niiice ... interested to see this strain.. im thinkin of ordering the royal northern lights strain

11. when you water, the fewer times you can, the better. id say water heavy once then let it dry out, or until the leavs start to "droop" that's the plants way of telling you it needs water. i would go by that bro. IMO

12. [quote name='"JFlow941"']when you water, the fewer times you can, the better. id say water heavy once then let it dry out, or until the leavs start to "droop" that's the plants way of telling you it needs water. i would go by that bro. IMO[/quote]

I think I've got hang of it. I fucked up by not taking into account how much longer a big pot would take to dry out.

Just hope I've not stunted her too much, seems to be recovering but some very clear stress marks on some the older leaves and even a bit on the newer growth.

*fingers crossed*

13. [quote name='"Kushty"']

I think I've got hang of it. I fucked up by not taking into account how much longer a big pot would take to dry out.

Just hope I've not stunted her too much, seems to be recovering but some very clear stress marks on some the older leaves and even a bit on the newer growth.

*fingers crossed*[/quote]

I'm in the same boat bro. I'm a hydro guy and I had no choice but to place some clones in small pots with soil to lollipop, I've got my fingers crossed that they survive lol

14. :( not looking too good imo...

The cotlydons and first set of serrated leaves are still really light green/yellow. Especially the first set of serrated leaves look extremely dry.

The newer growth does look better, just seems very slow..

Also is it normal that the new leaves seem to be coming out at such erratic angles? Looks like they're all twisted and uneven, some were even twisting under the older leaves but I gently put them back.

Attached Files:

15. [quote name='"Kushty"']:( not looking too good imo...

The cotlydons and first set of serrated leaves are still really light green/yellow. Especially the first set of serrated leaves look extremely dry.

The newer growth does look better, just seems very slow..

Also is it normal that the new leaves seem to be coming out at such erratic angles? Looks like they're all twisted and uneven, some were even twisting under the older leaves but I gently put them back.[/quote]

Looks like they either need N or calmag. Try misting them with water with a few drops of thrive, maybe even some calmag ... Maybe :confused_2:

16. Only things I've got at the moment is Miracle Grow all purpose or epsom salts.

I was planning on watering at some point today. Should I add either?

Is it possible this is all from the overwatering at the start btw? I think the photos maybe overdo how light green it is, it's only really the oldest leaves that are yellow. The newer stuff seems to be a better colour. Especially when its not under the cool light.

17. I would add Epsom, I don't know the ratio but it will help. The MG I woul throw away it has horrible results no matter how little you use. IMO

18. Okay thanks. I added a tiny bit of Epsom when I watered now. From what I could find out it shouldn't need much.

Lets hope that does the trick!

19. im pullin for your autos bro. i say a prayer everytime i hit the bong lol jk but really, hope they work out

germination is the hardest part of growing man, i try to grow clones or if you manage to get a seed to germ and stay alive simply take a clone and set it aside until you can use it, waaaaaay easier IMO. I too have fallen into this auto craze though lol. I am growing an auto purple (pyramid seeds) let's see how that goes :D

20. Just thought an auto would be a nice start. (its only one plant btw, unless of course your praying for all my future grows too - which is much appreciated:smoke: )

I would probably have germinated another one and got that started now. But I'm going home for Christmas so will have to wait with starting the next project till I'm back in January..

Till then I'm gonna do my best to get this baby feeling better!