Any stoners making money off their blog? Let's talk about it.

Discussion in 'General' started by L'Oeuvre, Nov 4, 2009.

1. I just reached an epiphany. I think, spending so much time getting stoned and always thinking about getting a blog to write down a great amount of my thoughts, I want to make some money off the computer! Now this isn't just a stoned idea, I'm only a little stoned right now*, but I think making money is a good incentive to do what I want and, confidently, I have the will to start.

I don't want to start by just flooding people with ads but instead I want to make a living doing what I love, writing and sharing my studies! Who is up for the same, healthy, entrepreneurial experience?

So, does anyone here have any experience with blogspot, adsense, affiliates and all that sense? Or, contrarily, does anyone want to start the experience with me? Let's do this thing.

ps. I'm not advertising, as you can clearly see, but I'm just really stoked. :hello:

__
    * That's all going to change now.

2. I am down. Anything to earn some extra cash with my great wisdom on life.

3. Let's do it man, here's the greatest introduction I've found. I haven't read the entirety of it, because I just got so stoked, but it all made something click in my head. I'm sure there's a lot of substantial information there but I just took off.

How to Make Money From Your Blog

I've just signed up for a blogspot account and am now in the midst of a review on a CD. I'll be offering the CD on my blog as well so that will persuade some to read my thoughts. It's like a real business scheme and that's why I have great confidence. It's like I'll be making money for what I really want to do - write. I'm sure it's all going to take a wealth of time and effort but I have enough patience and passion for the entire ordeal I'm elated about the entire thing!

I think I'm too excited because I am more enthused about the making money and only content about the writing. I guess I should have titled my thread "Blogs" or something. Regardless, I'm going to use this as a log for the money I may make in the future.

4. I'll just say this... I ran a popular blog (peaked at 450,000 unique viewers in Nov 06) for three years, we used adsense, combinations or other ad carries, going direct to advertisers and negotiating deals ourselves, network, donation drives, subscription programs, merch, RSS syndication, itunes, podcasts (More than 100 2 hour long episodes), videocasts (not as many of these)

It is *VERY* hard to make enough money to live off of, and even harder to feel like you're being properly compensated for the amount of time you put into the project.

Beyond that, once you get into real numbers like that you can't take off for a weekend without bringing you computer and blogging from there because there are people relying on you to keep on schedule and provide content.

And that was *before* there were more blogs than people, would be even harder now.

If you want to make money, do something else - This will not work. If you just want to blog than go for it.

I'll point this out from the article you linked
    Don't waste your time

5. I have been thinking about blogging myself. I feel as though I have good things to say and experiences to share. Why not get paid? How do you get into it and know you aren't going to get scammed? What about implementing a web site or an advice column?

I have also been looking around for somebody that could co-author a book for me. It isn't easy to convince people that your life story is more worthy of being written and published than the other million people that want the same thing.

Awesome to find out that others think like I do.:)

6. Maybe it's that I'm not high anymore, or maybe you're just really persuasive, but you really have given me a lot to think about. I'm definitely going to keep a blog, definitely going to get the adsense, but you've settled me down.

I'll bump this thread in the way future, one day, and report back.

7. You have to think though. I am not going to do it to retire. I am simply doing it for some extra cash. The whole thing about a Blog, is holding things interesting. Keep it going, get as many subscribers. Then the advertising will pick up.

I dont care if I make $20 a month, anything is better than nothing, not to mention, it is therapy to vent.

8. Just blog for fun dude :) If your gonna make it big it won't be because you planned it, but because you did a good job and had interesting/unique things to say.

9. good luck then :)

10. You can make cash on the internet tons of ways, but Blogs are probably the very worst way, honestly. Look into selling virtual currency if you're dead-set on making easy cash on the computer. Not enough to live off, but enough for your weed or something every month.

[​IMG]

;)

11. How do you do that, what did you do to do that ?

12. #12 SleepyShoegazer, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2009
    Step one: Play some MMORPG on your PC.
    2. Get good at said game
    3. Start making friends that are also "pro players" (if you know that lingo LOL)
    4. Start farming for the currency in that game (I played Lineage 2, and the in-game currency was called Adena)
    5. When you've amassased tons of spare currency, sell it to Websites, or through your own MSN.

If you do it for a long time, you'll end up doing what I did. Most of the farmers for the game were Chinese, so I ended up having about 15 Chinese guys playing this game for me (mostly botting to make $$$ faster), as well as my friends having their own guys. They make all the cash, they gave it to us in-game, and we sold it, then Western Unioned them part of their share. We automatically got 20%, and the remaining 80% was divided up to them. In return, they had in-game "protection," I guess you would call it. We made sure no one PK'd their characters, and made sure they were able to farm at the most lucrative areas 24/7. They did this for a straight up living in China, so this was basically their job. So they took it serious. We just want to make cash, so they'll do what they have to for protection so they don't have to fight for 4 or 5 hours everyday to get their spot back, and could make more money.

It grows increasingly nerdy sounding, so I really won't get into it too much more. It just starts to sound dubious and peculiar (and like I lived in a basement and played games). But it's basically like a legal (but against the game's rules in all cases, so you risk getting banned) video game mafia :laughing:

13. I should have invested in Intel/Apple 6 months ago when I was seriously considering it...