Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Making THC Lollipops-Need help!!

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Ilikecooking, Oct 14, 2011.

1. I've only made edibles once before (brownies) using cannaoil in substitute for cannabutter and as a first ever attempt they turned out great. I am planning to try and make some hard candies, lollipops and a couple jolly ranchers, but every recipe ive read is different so I'm not sure which one to use. I have heard it's possible to make them using cannaoil (which is the way i would prefer the go) instead of a 2+ week wait for a tincture and would preferably not make cannabutter. If cannaoil can be a substitute, does anyone know a good recipe including how much oil to make and add and also how many lollipops the recipe will make? I'm planning on using between 7 - 10 grams of very good bud in the oil

2. Make hash oil with your bud and put .07-.1 in each :) thats the only suggestion I have lol im sure somebody here knows how you could make it with canna oil though

3. Yeah I'm pretty sure you need to make a glycerin tincture for canna-lollipops. Is there oil in normal lollipops anyways?

4. Glycerin tincture should not be used for making hard candy. :)

Your 'edible solvent' serves two very important purposes. It breaks down glandular material into individual and miniscule enough particulates in order to promote bioavailability, and it behaves as a kind of 'vehicle' or delivery agent, effecting cellular permeability, allowing for the absorption of the broken-down glandular material and its cannabinoids.

Cannabis glandular material is notoriously difficult for the body to absorb when delivered all on its own, even when it appears sticky and gooey or fully broken down. Without the solution created by the solvent (oil, alcohol, glycerin etc), the glandular material cannot be as effectively absorb, and must 'hitch a ride' on whatever lipids you may have consumed before or shortly after eating the glandular material.

Long story short, oil is really the ideal option for hard candy because it is retained within the candy, without compromising the candy's integrity.

Glycerin attracts 20% its weight in atmospheric moisture, which can ruin your hard candy turning it into a goopey mess, and when made with alcohol tincture much if not all of the alcohol or delivery agent is boiled off, rendering the bioavailable solution back to a difficult to absorb, solute.

I replied to your PM a few days ago by the way, OP, hopefully you're well on your way to making your pops by now :)

Hope this helps! :)

5. lol a oily lollipop would probly taste pretty funky, and have a weird slippery oily texture lol,
    so no, as far as I know, theres no oil in lollipops

6. The most effective (or in other words, the most bioavailable) medicated lollipops and hard candies contain oil, but they do not taste oily :)

Examples;

Glowing candy...

-"Meddy" Moose Pops-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Philosopher's STONES-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hard enough to shatter for 'glass candy'...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. #7 happymidgetpaul, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
    Badkitty, I just wanted to say I love the way your creations look, and its refreshing to see someone hold their ground in debate but dont lash out as many do. To Ilikecooking and others, oil in candy doesnt necessarily give it an oily texture, unless youre using a great deal of it, but if its made properly theres no reason to use enough to negatively affect consistency or flavor :), and I have tried making candies without an edible solvent, and needed atkins 3 times the amount of cannabis product to achieve a similar effect, which is not worth it lol, still not sure how to use cannaoil in them though, go with coconut oil :p

8. #8 BigMouthHungry, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2011
    I have had candies made with glycerin tincture. What I have found is the tincture seeps out of the candy. As BKS has told me you can make quite concentrated oils, coconut oil for example and at most the candy gets a little bit of a caramel like texture to it. My last attempt at hard candy, although messy, turned out almost too strong and I had to get quite a bit of saliva introduced to the candy while sucking on it before I noticed the caramel effect starting to show. So, IMHO, concentrated coconut oil made with either hash or BHO is the way to go. There is a dispensary near me that sells glycerin candies and the little plastic dime baggies they come in are coated on the inside with glycerin tincture, indicating it has seeped out. . :)

It's also a good idea to store them with a dessicant satchet or roll them in some powdered sugar or both, especially if you live where it is humid. :smoke:

9. Thank's for the help guys. Planning to attempt these over the weekend. Hope all goes well

10. This is way off topic but it kind of goes along with making the oil for the lollipop's.

Today me and my friend made some weed cupcakes. They seemed to turn out well but im not sure if I did something wrong with making the oil. I put the weed (7.1 grams) in a jar then in the oven at 250 F for 10 minutes to decarb it. Then I added a little more then 1/3 cup of oil into the jar with the 7.1 because we didnt have enough time to divide it into 3 portions and heat it like that so from their we put it into the oven at 200 F for 60-70 minutes, taking it out every 15 to stir a little, but when that hour was up we strained out the oil and it was a dark green color. Last time I made it on the stove and the oil strained out as a dark brown color.

Since the canna-oil only came out as a dark green color does that mean we did not make it right or is that how it was supposed to turn out?

11. #11 yogaslut, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2012
    Hey BadKittySmiles
    I love your post and how precise and knowledgeable you are.
    Would you be willing to share your candy Recipe, I make my own infused Coconut oil and am trying to find a good way to make hard candy with it.

Although it rocks on its own

much appreciated

12. Found it on another site thanks for posting

13. ok can't stand when ppl argue when they haven't got a clue about the science of cooking...yeah I said science...making candy is both an art and scientific process.Its not easy for anyone thats just learning...but to clear this up...all candy requires both a fat component and a sugar or sugar sub and of  course corn syrup...I use the white type so it doesnt interfere with coloring...glycerin I have never used nor the alcohol tincture...I use both canna butter and canna oil in my lollipops.....its all about temperature and candy making can be fickle...it depends on humidity...above sea level or below..adjustments may need to be made...also dont go crazy adding more oil or butter than your recipe can hold..it will split and all the oil/butter will run out leaving you with a less potent end product..
    heres mine tried and true.....
    3/4 cup sugar
    3/4 cup corn syrup
    up to 4-5 tablespoons  cannaoil or butter
    1 package of any flavor jello

heat the sugar,corn syrup and cannaoil or butter over low heat with candy thermometer clipped to the side of the pot..bring to boil slowly stirring often and keep a close eye on your temp....for this recipe I let the mixture boil gently till it reaches 250-275 but no more than that....add in your jello , stir in and remove from heat....you have to work quickly and have your molds prepared with pam or you can use canna oil in a pump sprayer that gives that added kick and assists very well to unmold your product...this recipe works for me very well and the result is a delicious lolli that has an almost toffee consistency..great for chemo patients that experience nausea...

so hope this clears up the mystery...Im a chef de cuisine in real life for 25 yrs....so I know my shiznit...have fun ppl...but dont expect the big giant hallucinations or paranoia...thats not why I produce these..hell if you want that make brownies..good luck all and hope this helps :yummy:  

14. Thanks chefdecanna59 - I was just scrolling through old message for a recipe and came across yours.  Going to try it this week!  I have a friend going through chemo and thought these would be good for her.

Can coconut (canna) be used in place of reg canna oil?

15. i'm attempting to try out making these lollipops Chefdecanna59-question for you? Does the candy ever harden after cooling? i read your description, does it break like hard candy or is it chewy?