Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cold Tincture

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by RippedMonk, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Wanting to try a tincture for the first time. I filled a small mason jar with about 18 grams of loosely cut up leaf, kief, and stems and poured in some 151 until it reached near the top of the jar. I have it stored on my warm growbox in a black shirt to keep out the light. It's been in for about 9 days so far and I shake it once daily. I have heard so many different opinions on how long it's supposed to sit, but feel like I need to hear on here from the experts. So how long on a cold alcohol tincture? :smoke:

2. 55 views so far and no replies. :(

3. Kief?? I think you mean shake.

I have wanted to try a cold tincture method for a long time, waiting on a response from a fellow blade to try it myself.

You should have only filled up the alcohol so that it covered the green. The more concentrated a tincture is, the better. It isn't meant to be a drink, you should be able to feel the effects after a couple drops.

Keep doing what you're doing for a couple weeks. Let some alcohol evaporate before you use it so that it becomes more concentrated. Report back.

4. alcohol tincture is the simplest one in the book, what you're doing is fine just shake daily and let sit for 2-3+ weeks. The longer it sits the more THC is absorbed (of course there is a terminal point). Just make sure you filter when its done and the try it, dilute or evaporate to produce desired potency.

edit: once its filtered if you want to make it taste better (depending on the sort of bud used) you can go ahead and dissolve some honey into it. Makes it a lot more bearable, especially for alcohol tinctures.

5. I did use kief, not much but a little. It was mainly loosely cut up sugar and sweet leaves, stems, and then I dumped some kief from my grinders that I had no use for. Sometimes I make a little hash once I get enough kief built up or I just sprinkle it on a bowl once in awhile, but I just harvested two potent, beautiful ladies and have enough chronic to last me awhile, so I figured I'd just toss what little kief I had in my grinders (they have screens) into the tincture. It was a small mason jar, so the 18g filled 3/4 of the jar at least. So there was just enough alcohol to cover it all up which made it pretty much to the top of the jar.

Thank you both for your responses. I've watched many videos, read blogs, etc.. on how to do a cold tincture, but everyone seems to disagree on how long it should sit. I've seen everything from 5 days to 60 days. I think I'll leave it another 2 weeks and then give it a try. I already have the cheesecloth. I think the next tincture I make though, I'm going to use Everclear so it works even faster. Higher alcohol proof, the faster it absorbs the trichs, or so I've heard. I'll give the honey a try too, that sounds tasty.