Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Mint extract tincture

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by _circuit_, Apr 11, 2011.

1. This is my first attempt at edibles so cut me some slack, ok on to the good part I was going through my gmas pantry and found this really old bottle of mint extract and looked at the lable to find that it was 180 proof nearly moonshine strength and I figured since 4/20 is coming up I might as well go for it so I took the stems I had been saving up and broke them into manageable lengths and paired them up with the last of my mids all went into the bottle and got a hell of a shake now I really can't do anything except wait and I'll be gone until Saturday at the earliest so that is when I plan on sampling it :stoned:

Attached Files:

2. Time to smoke :hippie:

3. Good luck my man. Theoretically it should work because the alcohol content is so high. I would consider putting more bud in there though because its going to taste really strong and possibly horrible, so you want to be able to get rocked of as little drops as possible and not have to have mouthfuls...

4. #4 _circuit_, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Oh I know that and I would add more bud but all I have left is hydro sour diesel(well it smells like it I could be wrong) and that is also for 4/20

5. Any stems still attached? Leafy parts that would better serve for soaking and not smoking? Any kief laying around? As many trichromes as possible and you will be sorted. How much liquid is in the bottle?

6. The bottle is a little over half way and it's a 1 ounce I'm going to add more bud to it probably Sunday

7. Well I guess this thread is just going to die

8. Sorry, no advice for you, but I'm curious how this will work out.

9. This method works fine, but I'd strongly recommend adding hash, or more strong herb... those flavors are STRONG, and that's a small amount you've added, meaning you'll need to drink or drop a substantial amount of mint flavor, in order to achieve the desired effect.

You're also going to want to dilute it in something, whether you have plans to drink it, or use it sublingually. Consuming almost an entire bottle of mint extract (or even a quarter of a bottle) over a short period of time, can very easily upset your stomach, even if it is diluted, and especially if you don't eat a lot of mint (or the artificial substitute for mint, used in some 'extracts') on a regular basis.

I usually add at least a few grams of hash, to that much extract. After a few weeks (or a few days, if gentle heat has been applied), it can be blended with a little glycerin and sugar for a great sublingual tincture, or depending on the flavor, you can add a few drops to your favorite tea, soda, or alcoholic beverage. I've got a few bottles sitting around which were made several years earlier.. same brand, too :) More often though, I'll use a simple high proof alcohol, blended with pricey or higher quality flavor extracts. Or I'll go in the middle and use Lorann's Oils, which are very tasty for the cost of a dram.

A tip for our 'youth': Those of you who are under 21 and wish to make your own canna extracts/meds, you can generally still buy the above McCormick extracts, without being carded. Just don't go in and buy ONLY extracts, because they can legally refuse service to anyone they feel may be abusing that loophole, but instead pick just one or two with the highest alcohol content, and add them to your groceries.

10. #11 _circuit_, Apr 13, 2011
    Well the extract is made with real mint and spearmint oils and is 180 proof I plan on using it sublingually and more bud will be added soon

11. Idea....

Use Rumple Minze (a peppermint schnapps) its a 100 proof...or 50% ABV

would be interesting....

if anyone tries this please update..

12. I don't drink so it is going to be used sublingually

13. So I've decided to make hash instead of using it as a tincture here it is so far :)

Attached Files:

14. Sounds good, it may be for the best that you incorporate it into an oil, and make that oil into a recipe you can consume, if drinking alcohol isn't something you're into and you can't get enough material to make a solid tincture.

Just keep in mind you won't be able to smoke it. It isn't the same or as clean as an Iso, or butane extraction. The cannabis extract has been contaminated and coated in oils and other adulterants from the mint extract. It won't taste very nice, and combusting, or even simply vaporizing natural oils is not safe or advised, because it produces high levels of harmful, toxic acrolein (natural mints and oil based flavors, including mint, are avoided when making DIY e-liquids for electronic cigarettes for that very reason). The higher the temps, the more acrolein is produced, but even trace amounts are not safe and can cause lifelong health issues.
    Besides acrolein dangers, you can cause permanent scarring of the lung tissue, and fall ill with lipid pneumonia. The oils contained in specific natural extracts including the above mint/s, have caused several cases of very severe lipid pneumonia, a few of which have resulted in death. Just from the inhalation of oil based vapors. In short, the amount of acrolein naturally produced by cannabis (as well as tobacco) when combusted, is dwarfed in comparison to that of a mint flavored extract. So just make a good oil from your results, and do something fun like drizzling it in your next shake, or baking a couple strong cookies.

In any case have fun, and good luck :)

15. #16 _circuit_, Apr 18, 2011
    Let me clarify that they are 100% natural oils but are you saying that mint is toxic because if that is true how can cloves be so successful? I'm not doubting you, you seem very knowledgeable I would just like clarification P.S attached is what it looks like now

Attached Files:

16. #17 BadKittySmiles, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2011
    In a clove cigarette, any essential oils are diluted over the course of, not only the original plant matter, but the other materials in the filling and the paper. Like cloves, mint species contain more fragrant oils than most plants, which is why they are usually blended, rather than smoked purely on their own, or used very, very sparingly.

In a natural alcohol extract, you have your percentage of alcohol, and the rest is an oil-based extract. Ingredients for McCormick Mint extract: ALCOHOL (89%), WATER, OIL OF SPEARMINT, AND OIL OF PEPPERMINT. A few drops, will provide an intense amount of sensation and flavor, even while diluted.
    But when you evaporate that alcohol and water away, you're left with a pure essential oil, something which can be highly toxic to inhale. Lipids are notoriously difficult for your lung tissue to expel, when inhaled in small concentration it can lead to permanent damage, and can even be deadly. Lipid (or lipoid) pneumonia is no joke, and it doesn't take much, just enough all at once; for instance an amount that may otherwise be 'safely' if inhaled over a few moments, if inhaled all at once, can be deadly. Acrolein forms when any concentrated oil source is exposed to heat enough to cause vaporization, or combustion. It is potent enough, that it was used as a form of chemical warfare during WWI. It can be applied as a pesticide, as well. It's for these very reasons that quality manufactured e-liquids for e-cigs, are generally not made with such essential oils, and they are to be avoided by DIYers, and for their purposes these extracts are used in a highly diluted form, diluted in water and glycerin even beyond their original dilution. In concentration after evaporation, however, it is a completely different and more serious matter.

Acrolein - toxicity, ecological toxicity and regulatory information

Lipid pneumonia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...sg=AFQjCNE-xsPVAb4Q07RH_1MrMtvdBU5wow&cad=rja

In the end, you invested your herb in an edible meant for oral consumption only, and it's for the best that you keep going in that direction :)

17. Ahhh I see now but it is already hash so what should I do with it?

18. Basically, DANK stems takes about 1 ounce per 1 cup of normal cooking oil.
    so divide that by 8 and you get a 3.5g to 1ounce of extract. this is actually the recipe, roughly, that they use/used for anointing oil (except it was olive oil, not extract). so just get either a bunch more stems, some really strong hash, or maybe a little under a gram of some of that sour diesel (which may be catpiss or even cheese, or a hybrid of any of them) and grind that shit up to a fine powder and throw it in there, if you still have it in the bottle. normally a tincture takes two weeks to a month to make, depending on the method. but that shit is pretty damn strong so shaking it a few times a day should help it out. just remember to strain it and use small amounts at a time heavily diluted and you'll be good. maybe even make some mojitos, if you're old enough to.

19. Lol I'm just gonna make 4 mint chocolate chip cookies XD