Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

IndianaToker's Ultimate Cannabis Recipes

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by IndianaToker, Dec 18, 2005.

1. All credit for the following recipes goes to The Cannabis Companion: The Ultimate Guide to Connoisseurship by Steven Wishnia. I received this book as a gift from RMJL, and it's great! Thanks Rummy, I love it! :)

It's the difinitive guide to pot that finally puts the herb in the same league as a fine wine, a good cigar, or a rare malt. For the cannabis connoisseur, this books contains authoritative information on everything from botanical facts to practical applications: an indispensable survey of its history, cultivation, biochemistry, therapeutic value, and the various ways in which it can be enjoyed. I consider it a must read. Now, without further ado, lets get to it!! :D

Cannabutter
    This recipe is the basis for just about everything that follows, as THC is fat-soluble. Butter works best, but olive oil or a saturated-fat oil will also do the job.

Ingredients

One forumula is 2-7 grams of bud or 1/4-1 oz of leaf for a 1/4 lb. stick of butter, yielding a dose (in inverse proporations) of 1/2-2 tbsp per person.

Method 1

. The buds or leaf should be crumbled into small flakes or powder.
    2. The herb and butter or oil go in a doubler boiler, a small pot inside a larger pot filled with water; this prevents the butter-herb mix from burning, as it can if cooked directly on the stove. Cooking on the stove needs the lowest heat possible with a few tablespoons of water added, and frequent stirring. Use organic butter-you don't want pesticides or growth hormones in your food, and margine, unless organic, is probably made with oil from genetically modified corn or soybeans. It takes around 20-45 minutes to cook and it's important not to let it burn. If you burn it, not only do you ruin the high, but the flavor is awful.
    3. When done, the leaf residue can be strained out, otherwise everything with it will taste like pot. (The leftover herb can then be chopped up further and added to an "herbed bread" recipie.) I suggest using cannabutter to cook an omelet or for grilled cheese sandwiches, while cannabis oil can be used to suate a veggie mix, or chilled and use to season.

Method 2

Another method is to put enough water in a soup pot to more than cover the herb, and then add butter and simmer for a couple of hours. Chilling in the refrigerator will separate the butter from the old skanky water. The water can then be drained through a hole poked in the chilled butter. Then the butter is heated enough to press the leaf out and rechilled in a metal bowl. The remaining water is then drained off and what is left is the most gorgeous green lovin' butter! Whatever isn't used can be refrigerated or frozen.

2. Brownies are perhaps the one dish most associated with cannabis cruisine, ever since the inclusion of "hashisch fudge" in The Alice B. Toklas Cookbook, the witty memoir/cookbook published by Gertrude Stein's companion in 1954. This recipe comes from a New York anarchist gourmet.

Ingredients

9 oz. Unsweetened chocolate (not bittersweet, not semisweet).
    10 oz "enhanced" butter
    9 large eggs
    2 lbs (yes pounds!) white sugar
    1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
    1/2 tbsp salt
    2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    8 oz. walnut halves, chopped

Method

The chocolate and cannabutter are gently melted together over very low heat or in a double boiler. Chocolate separates if heated too much, so this has to be done carefully. The mixture is blended until throughly combined and then cooled to room temperature.

The eggs are beaten in one at a time using an electric mxer on high speed. After all the eggs have been added, the mixture should have a pudding-like consistency.

The sugar is beaten in, 1/2 cup at a time, until all is mixed in. Vanilla extract and salt are added.

Now the flour has to be "folded" in, 1/2 cup at a time, using a spatula. Do not overmix. The walnuts are added and mixed until they are evenly dispersed.

Finally, the mixture goes into a greased 1/2 sheet try and is spread out evenly.

The brownies are baked in a preheated oven at 300 F for 25 minutes. The tray is then rotated 180 degrees and then baked for another 25 minutes, making a total of 50 minutes cooking time.

The center can be tested with a toothpick. Some people like it chewier and remove it when a tiny crumb or two is still attached to the toothpick. It's more usual to wait until the toothpick comes out clean, then remove from oven. The brownies should be cooled for 15 minutes before serving.

These brownies can be frozen for months when wrapped in foil. They can sit outside the refrigerator for up to five days if they are properly wrapped, and if it's not too hot. They are best right out of the oven with some ice cream.

3. Simple, but tasty and effective. From a Long Island suburban misfit.

Ingredients

For 1 person:
    1/2-1 gram marijuana
    2-3 tbsp olive oil
    chopped garlic, to taste
    oregano, to taste

Method

The marijuana is sauteed in the olive oil. This is cooked gently on low heat long enough to activat the herb.

Chopped garlic and oregano can be added to taste.

The oil is sopped up with pieces of Italian bread.

4. This is the original Alice B. Toklas Cookbook recipe, actually more of a fruit-nut-spice goofball than a brownie. It was supplied by painter Brion Hysin, who noted that "Euphoria and brilliant storms of laughter; ecstatic reveries and extensions of one's personality on several simultaneous planes are to be complacently expected." Expurgated from the original American edition of the cookbook, this recipe was restored in the current Lyons Books edition.

Ingredients

1 tsp black peppercorns
    1 whole nutmeg
    4 average sticks of cinnamon
    1 tsp coriander
    1 handful stone dates
    1 handful dried figs
    1 handful shelled almonds
    1 handful peanuts
    a bunch of cannibus sativa
    1 cup sugar
    1 pat butter

Method

The black peppercorns, nutmeg, cinnamon, and coriander are pulverized in a mortar.

The stone dates, dried figs, shelled almonds, and peanuts are chopped and mixed together.

A bunch of cannabis sativa is pulverized in a mortar.

About a cup of sugar is dissolved in a big pat of butter.

The spices and cannabis mixture is then dusted over the mixed fruit and nuts, and kneaded together with the butter mixture.

The mixture is rolled into a cake and cut into pieces or made into balls about the size of a walnut.

Hashish fudge should be eaten with care. Two pieces are quite sufficient!

5. A recipe from North Carolina. "Simple and delicious," says the cook. "Of course, most things you cook with cannabutter are better!"

Ingredients

4 pork chops
    1 tbsp cannabutter
    salt, to taste

Method

Pork chops should always be rinsed and dried off. Thin ones, thinner than 1/2 inch, are preferable.

The pan is heated to about medium, then the cannabutter is added to gently melt (less is more; about 1 tablespoon for 4 pork chops). If it's melting to a fry, the pan should be lifted off the burner slightly while butter is melting.

The pork chops should be seared in the butter to a slight brown and salted lightly.

The process is repeated on the other side; entire cooking should only take about 10 minutes. The chops should not be left; if overcooked, they will be tough!

6. This tasty cookie recipe comes from a Michigan vegetarian activist. A panelist at the 2001 NORML conference swears that one of these cookies got rid of his migraine, rendering him both exhilarated and coherent enough for public speaking.

Ingredients

1 cup cannabutter
    1/2 cup sugar (confectioner's or can sugar both work well)
    2 cups unbleached white flour
    1 tsp pure vanilla extract
    Pinch of salt
    1 cup shredded coconut (optional)

Method

The butter and sugar are creamed together very well. The remaining ingredients are added and the mixture worked into dough with the fingers. The dough should not be "overworked" or the cookies will become tough.

The dough goes into a cake pan, about 1/2 inch thick, and a bunch of holes are punched in the dough with a fork.

This is baked in an oven preheated to 325 F for 50 minutes, until the cookies turn golden.

Best eaten while still warm--yum!

7. The dip that calls for the best, stickiest, most resinous, bud possible. The bud needs to be powdered beforehand (a coffe/herb grinder works great for this).

Ingredients

1 ample avocado, smashed
    1 tomato, chopped
    1 green onion, chopped
    1 garlic clove, pressed and chopped
    cilantro, chopped finely
    lime juice, fresh is best
    cumin, to taste
    cayenne, a pinch
    salt, a dash
    1 mango (optional)

Method

All this is mixed together and to taste, so measurements are pretty useless. The resin binds with the oil in the avocados for a rockin' stoner dip that is best with blue chips (the color combo is lovely when your buzz is coming on).

8. This goes great with all kinds of pasta, or it can be spread on bread or put on a pizza--a pot-addled imagination can create culinary treasures!

Ingredients

Olive oil, a couple of cups, cooked in the soup-pot method for cannabutter with herb
    Basil, lots
    Pine nuts (or raw cashews or almonds, depending on taste)
    Salt, to taste
    Garlic, lots
    Parmesan or romano cheese, optional

Method

All of the ingredients go into a blender and are whizzed until you have a gooey, garlicky ganja pesto.

9. Ganja tea can be made from water, regular milk, or soy or nut milk. Boiling buds in water is not enough, as it won't dissolve the THC. This recipe comes courtesy of the Women's Alliance for Medical Marijuana, in Santa Cruz.

Ingredients

"Ganja Tea"

1 tbsp butter
    2 cup hot water or milk
    1 bud

"Mother's Milk"

2 heaped tbsp ground marijuana
    1/2 pint whole milk

Method

Ganja Tea

To make ganja tea from water, one teaspoon of butter is added to a cup of hot water and a bud steeped in it for 15 minutes to 2 hours. The longer it is steeped, the more potent it is. Any oil left floating on top of the tea should be drunk.

Mother's Milk

For "mother's milk," marijuana is ground until it is as powdery as flour. Two heaping tablespoons can be stirred into 1/2 pint milk--not lowfat milk.

This is then simmered in a crockpot for at least two hours, ideally all day or overnight.

It can be seasoned with nutmeg, cinnamon, chocolate, or vanilla.

A standard dose is 1/8 cup--1/4 cup. You can carry it around in a thermos. Additional amounts can be stored as you would milk, for longer-term preservation, it can be frozen.

10. "Cooking Louisiana style means forgetting everything Martha Stweart ever taught you." says the orginator of this. "Ditch the measuring cups, because our food is like our music; it's full of spicy improvisation, and so long as love is put into it, everybody will enjoy savoring it."

Ingredients

1/4 oz ganja, cleaned
    1/2-lb stick of salted butter
    Small handful of flour
    2-3 cups of cream (half and half will do)
    2 tbsp grated Parmesan
    2 tbsp grated romano
    7 garlic cloves, chopped
    1 bunch of green onions (shallots) chopped
    Three bell peppers (yellow, red, and green), sliced thin, roasted or grilled Black, cayenne, and chipotle pepper to taste
    1-2 tbsp olive oil
    Tri-colored rotini

Method

The bell peppers are sliced into thin strips and roasted or grilled on medium heat with the olive oil. The pasta is put on to boil.

The ganja butter is simmered in a medium pan, with garlic and shallots. A tablespoon or two of extra butter can be added if necessary to cook the garlic, but no more.

A small handful of flour is added slowly, and whisked into the butter until it's a thick, even paste.

Then the cream is added a little at a time, until the consistency is slightly thinner than alfredo sauce. It's going to cook down and get thicker, so it needs to be watched carefully, and constantly stirred.

Grated romano and Parmesan cheeses are added slowly, reducing the heat and adding cream if the consistency gets too thick. Than black, cayenne, and chipotle peppers go in, as well as basil and parsley. This is all cooked over low heat a few minutes more, with cream added if needed.

The pasta is topped with the peppers, and everything is covered with the ganja cream sauce.

11. This is one of former High Times news editor Peter Gorman's favorites.

Ingredients

1 tbsp cannabis
    2-3 tbsp butter
    1-2 cups sliced or diced fruit or whole berries (sliced pears or bananas are especially delightful)
    1 tbsp white or brown sugar, to taste
    1-2 fl oz rum (or other liquor)

Method

The cannabis and butter are mixed together. This is then heated to hot but not burned.

The bups of fruit are added, with sugar, depending on taste, and then sauteed, stirring constantly so as not to permit butter or sugar to burn, until soft and hot.

The heat is turned up to high, and when very hot, the rum is added carefully. It will catch on fire. After it has burned off, the fruit is left sweet and flavored with cannabis and rum.

This can be eaten, put in juice, or poured over a desert (ice cream is great!) or warm breakfast cereal.

12. Mary Rathbun (1921-1999) earned the nickname "Brownie Mary" in the 1980s by baking pot brownies for "the kids", patients on the AIDS ward at San Francisco General Hospital. This recipe comes from Brownie Mary's Marijuana Cookbook: Dennis Peron's Recipe for Social Change, her 1993 collaboration with fellow activist Dennish Peron. (The hemp seeds are nutritious, by not psychoactive). Her legendary brownie formula remains a secret.

Ingredients

1 cup olive oil
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup wine vinegar
    1 tbsp hem seed, chopped
    1 tbsp grated onion
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1/2 cup red wine
    1/4-1/2 oz ground cannabis leaf or 1-3 grams of seedless buds

Method

The marijuana is added to the oil on low heat, covered and cooked for 20 minutes with occasional stirring.

Then it is put in a blender with all other ingredients and blended on medium until throughly mixed.

The mixture is stored in a tightly covered jar in the refrigerator. A little more oil can be added if it is too thick when ready to use.

13. A 19th-century medicinal staple, tincture of cannabis was prescribed to Queen Victoria to help relieve menstrual cramps. This is the Wo/Men's Alliiance version.

Ingredients

Vodka (or other high-proof alcohol)
    Fresh or dried marijuana

Method

One part vodka (or pretty much any high-proof alcohol) is mixed to 5 parts fresh marijuana. For dried marijuana, the proportions are 1 part vodka to 10 parts pot. The preparation should be stored in glass or earthenware. The mixture needs to stand for at least two weeks in a warm place to extract all vital elements.

Tincture can be drunk, used sublingually, or used topically, applied to the affected area.

14. awesome, Im gonna try that tea tomarrow

15. Very cool, Gonna save this for future reference.

16. this is incredible!!! +rep bro!!! sticky this.

17. Oh man, I love that book. I bought it, and I couldn't put it down.

Do yourself a favor and make the Dixie Fried Pork Chops.... my god, those were amazing.

18. So, I was thinking about making one of these recipes for Christmas and I was wondering if any of you have used any of these recipes. And if so, which one is the best/most potent to do?

19. word...this thread is kick ass indy :hello: i definitely plan on tryin to make some food with these recipes. i saved this thread but i also second the idea of stickying this thread. peace

rep +
    EDIT: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to IndianaToker again. seriously things that are rep worthy need their due justice and should be allowed to receive rep.

20. Funny you post this. Me and a few friends were conisdering making a really good online weed cooking show. Would produce episods in my kitchen and make it like a real cooking show just every recipie has weed in it.

I made some of that mothers milk, let it sit overnight in my cockpot and it smelled pretty weedy. I ended up only getting about 1/2 cup of liquid from the origional cup I put in there but that is fine because I spilled some, and some of it cooked off.

I took about 1/4th of a cup of it and mixed in about 1/4 cup of regular milk and chocolate sauce. It tasted pretty good, mostly chocolate with a weed taste to it.

I am going to go play some call of duty 2. I am pretty sure this stuff will work, it certainly looked and smelled like it will.

I will let you know how i am feeling in an hour or two.