Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

THC's Solubility in Fat.

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by BluntRapChris, Oct 30, 2010.

1. So, i want to make some brownies, and for a couple of reasons I've decided to do it with CannaOil instead of CannaButter, but i got to pick out some Oil now.. and looking at the nutritional facts, im wondering. Should i buy the oil with the most saturated fats? or trans fats? Do they both absorb THC, which one does it better?

I of course know, to pick the oil with the most fat to get the best results.

2. Most oils are going to have the same amount of fat, somewhere between 14-18g of fat per 2 tbsp. You should never consume trans fats, and most liquid store-bought oils don't contain them. Saturated fats should be limited in your diet.

I suggest using canola oil for a flavorless cooking oil to use in baking.

3. #3 DankSeeker, Oct 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2010
    The higher the sat fat the better attraction rate.
    Coconut oil has the highest sat rate @ 86% in vegetable oils
    Palm kernal oil is next @ 81%
    Unsalted butter lightly clarified comes in @ 80% sat fat.
    Canola oil has 7% and would be a total failure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Idk about that. Even if being saturated versus having a few unsaturations made the alykl groups more hydrophobic, the effect should be pretty minimal. I mean canola oil is oil, it is immiscible with water and does a fine job extracting our beloved resins.

5. OP-

I have made many batches of brownies using canola oil and store brownie mix. For one batch (~1/3-1/2 cup oil needed), I have found good success with between 15 grams high grade-25 grams medium grade. You should be fine.

6. #6 DankSeeker, Oct 31, 2010
    I've not had any experience extracting w/ canola oil. My opinion is based on research that I did a few years ago that showed chemically that saturated fats extracted the highest percentage of available oils/resins and using the highest saturated fat oils yielded the most potent results, no matter the extraction process used.
    I've only used clarified butter, red kernal palm oil and coconut oil for chocolate based recipes. All with great success.
    You may want to consider the origins of canola oil. I have a hard time injesting an oil that comes from a poisonous seed, but to each their own.

• Like Like x 2
  7. If you're going to use oil please use the coconut oil. I've used my cannabudder recipe with unsalted butter, coconut oil and canola oil. The canola was a big disappointment. The coconut oil was about as good as using unsalted butter. The more saturated fat the better. These guys know their stuff.

8. what is the solubility of thc in fat, how many mg/g or something like that? maybe i can calculate the min amount of fat required to extract all the THC

9. its coming from rapeseed, essentially the same thing mustard gas comes from... but when you put mustard on your hot dog it also has the same origin.

if you research enough on the internet you will find that the bad stuff about canola oil is a myth, and originated from some email hoax.

10. yeah, i do seem to be leaning towards coconut oil, but would it effect the taste of the brownies? unless its a recipy that calls specifically for coconut oil.

11. The Dangers of Canola Oil
    Only 1 of tens of thousands of links about rapeseed oil. My take is why take chances when there are much better alternatives.
    Research the origins of Palm Oil...It's the leading staple oil outside western culture and has been in peoples diets for centuries.

• Like Like x 2
  12. #12 DankSeeker, Oct 31, 2010

I like clarified butter in the basic recipe as coconut oil is too "coconutty" for me, but is great in sweets like coconut fudge and the like. I try not to use the processed stuff.
    I have used red palm kernal oil in place of vegtable oil with great success, but it does have a bit of an after taste in brownies.
    Alot of Asian markets carry palm oil, but red palm kernal oil can be a little harder to find.
    If you can't find it locally...google is your friend.

13. lololol

polyunsaturated fat in amounts found in canola is bad and unnatural, & unheard of before recent times.

stick to lard butter coconut palm or olive for the safer monounsats and sats.

• Like Like x 1

14. Nope. You'll be fine. Everything will taste lovely. Let us know how it turns out.

15. Use hemp oil for consistency ^_^

16. i have a link to solubility of THC in ethanol and it was somn just extraordinarily high so id imagine its even higher in fats.

saturated are better for extraction but its prolly more theoretical than in practice, ive never had a bad batch of brownies.
    i used refined coconut oil last time and it workd great and didnt have that nasty coconut taste

17. Did you use virgin coconut oil? because that is nearly solid at room temperature because there is so much fat... i was considering do that, but its so think i don't think it could be used in a normal oil recipe, i would probably need a butter one. what did you do?

18. As i said i used refined and yes its still pretty much solid at room temp (in fl in summer thats iffy lol)

and i just cooked it as if it was butter, low simmer for a cpl hours with some water, put it in the fridge and sep oil/water.
    coconut oil is actually very good for this method because its so solid that it barely takes any time in the fridge before the layers separate

you posted at 4:20, hope you were baked son!

19. I was trying to find how much fat it takes to absorb THC...in other words....if I decarbed 20 grams of bud, how much fat would I need to put with the bud for maxium THC extraction without overkill on too much fat or oil.

I found this link that pointed me on the path of finding which fat is BEST first, and then go from there.
    Which Fat Absorbs THC Best? – High Times

Any other experiences/results with this?

20. Honestly in my experiences its all about what your looking/trying to get out of your extraction. If you want something that kicks in fast, coconut oil is best. If you don't care if you wait 1-3 hrs for it to kick in id use butter. Those are the best options and defiantly decarb. Im about 95% sure in that link that they didn't decarb the bud first(i could be wrong/missed it) but ya defiantly decarb first.
    Its up to you on how much butter/oil to use but id use bare minimum if were me

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum