Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Solubility of THC - ? (chemistry related)

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Minuteman420, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Something I've always been curious about. THC is soluble in Fats and Oils. THC is soluble in Alcohol, BUT THC is NOT soluble in water. What doesnt make sense to me about this is the fact that The main functional group in Alcohol (Oxygen-Hydrogen bond) is the same as the main bonding form in water (Hydrogen-oxygen bond). So anyone know why THC is not water soluble?

• Like Like x 1
  2. fats/oil=non-polar, h20=polar....thc=non-polar...like dissolves like

• Like Like x 2
  3. But the OH bond in alcohol is polar, so how can THC dissolve in alcohol but not water.

• Like Like x 1

4. Polarity depends on if the molecules consist of oxygen (polar), when non-polar molecules include hydrogen and carbon. The symmetry of the molecule also comes into play.

For example, hexane contains no oxygen, and its molecular build up is pretty symmetrical, making it non-polar.

Ethanol contains oxygen, but the rest of its molcules are not symmetrical, making it polar, compared to hexane, but concidered non-polar in comparison to water.

Water contians oxygen, and the rest of its molecules are symmetrical, making it extremly polar.

Now, thc is not completly non-polar, on a scale of 1 to 10 it would be about a 7. Water would be a 0, ethanol a 5(ish) and hexane a 9. For these reasons, hexane would extract most non-polar substances, and leave behing organic matter, giving you the pursest form of thc tincture. Ethanol would dissolve mostly thc, but you would also get some organic matter (less pure). And finally, water would extract almost only organic matter, but you might get some traces of thc too.

~credit to richi

• Like Like x 1
  5. I never took chemistry!!! and i still understood your explanation!!!!!! Nice Job Man!!!!! :hello:

6. Ah makes sense now, i wasnt thinking in terms of "on a scale of 1-10" i had narrowed my train of thought down to non=polar and polar, must be that darned THC. Thanks.

7. I figured Id post this question here. As I stated before , I never took chemistry and understand very lil to minimum in said field.

Theres a thread ive been arguing in regarding eating raw pot and whether or not it affects you.(gets you high) Ive always assumed that , Yes by chewing /eating pot you can release/absorb some THC , but Ive always figured youd have to eat a whole ass load to get any real noticable affect. These guys in the thread are saying they have used pot like chewing tobacco and get high. I tried eating pot (mids) back in the day. I put a ground up 1/4 in a sandwich , put a 1/8 in a power shake and a few other retarded things.(i was young and uneducated on pot at the time....LOL) I never felt a goddamn thing. I cooked Cannabutter for the first time and ate macaroons made from the butter last week and got baked...like really baked.LOL So I know cooking it works. But can you really get high from eating it raw? How much would you have to eat/chew? Im a amateur grower and pro smoker(hahahaha) and am having trouble accepting this works. Can yall give me some kind of legitimate answer on this topic?

Thanks all!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Eating raw pot doesnt really work as it needs oils to disolve, its not that u cooked the pot that got u baked, when u cooked th pot in butter the butter disolves th thc. Therefore ur butter becomes thc butter and since its th thc that gets u high......

9. You definitely can get high by ingesting raw, dried marijuana. I've done it more than once. Magic brownies were made using raw weed and they worked just fine. Check this out for an extreme example. :D

10. There is butter or sum sort of fat in brownies to dissolve the thc, i put it in coffee and get stoned as the oils from the coffee dissolve thc 2, when i say raw i mean just as if u were to chew on a bud, from what i hear u would have to eat a fair amount of raw weed to get high. I have heard mixing with yoghurt is good and may just have to try brownies 2

11. There is not enough fat in a pan of brownies to extract enough thc to make that effective. No, it was the raw pot. However, the fact that it was eaten with fat content might be a reason for it to get absorbed better. Just like eating a small snack containing proteins or lipids to help absorb edibles better. In my story, I ingested a lot of weed but wouldn't have really needed that much. The pot in those days was fully decarbed naturally by the time it reached our shores. There is probably a difference using fresh weed just recently cured. :)

12. the OP got a pretty good answer explaining polarity, but then the discussion touched on eating raw cannabis. Just to be clear, what people think of as 'getting high' from cannabis is due to THC. Fresh cannabis only has small amounts of THC, as most if it is THC-a.  When you dry the herb, *some* of the THC-a will naturally decay into THC, but the majority won't convert until it's heated (i.e. smoking a joint.) Eating THC-a is very good for your health, but is absolutely *not* psychoactive. If you got high with THC-a, you have a very good imagination. The main point-is, if you want to get high from eating cannabis, it *must* be decarboxylated first.... Doing otherwise is still VERY beneficial, it just won't get you 'ripped'.  

This is why people tend to get carried away with their preparations too... 1-month, 3-month infusion... oi vey... it's like a moth to the flame... THC and other cannabinoids are miscible (mix with) oil, butter, vegetable glycerin and ethanol. Long before you saturate any of these media you can create a 'potent' infusion, and it doesn't take days or weeks or months. It simply takes proper decarboxylation. 

13. Jack nailed it, it's not the fat from the butter in the brownies, it was the fact that the heat from the oven converted the THCA into THC also known as decarboxylation.  As long as you decarb your herb, it will be bioavalable...now adding it to fats aids in delivery that's another topic though.

14. #14 0000000000000, May 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2015

<span><span>Señor Donut</span>,</span> and/or people
    I hope this is still active, here gos, there is not alot of good information on solvent solubilities and i am wondering... why is carbon tetrachloride a poor solvent

the brunt of this is below (below the text that is below), ready and includes some explanation for those unfamiliar, and i will put a brief summary here.

Why does the polarity of Carbon chlorides decrease from DCM to Chloroform to Carbon tetrachloride (0.00 D, like Hexane) and raise in solvating power from DCM to Chloroform and drop at Carbon tetrachloride?
    Is it that it becomes less solvating and more selective for nonpolar compounds at the point of 0.00 D (and why?)?
    The puzzler is the rise and drop off. it seems the trend is less polar, less volatile, more solvating and then CCl4 is the puzzler. (Mono-Chloro-Methane boils at −23.8 C (−10.8 F; 249.3 K) (wikipedia) and i don't know (even less) about equivalencies).

[what about chloroform CHCl3? it is non polar(ish) and removes all (most) of the chlorophyll] leaving this anyway, iwas going to ask 1st about why Chloroform extracts the Chlorophyll so well if it is non polar, and after reading on the solvents page on wikipedia saw in the polarity values that it is less polar than Hexane; however, the next part of the question is as follows...

i just saw that Chloroform has a polarity of 1.04 D while Dichloromethane has a polarity of 1.60D Chloromethane isn't listed and boils at −23.8 C (−10.8 F; 249.3 K) anyway )wikipedia(

for those who don't know what i am getting at,
    Methane is Carbon bonded to 4 Hydrogens.
    Progressively replacing Hydrogens makes
    mono (1), di(two), tri(3) and 4(tetra) Chloro Methane
    confusinly Dichloromethane (DCM) is called Methelene Chloride as well and Carbon tetrachloride is the common name for Tetrachloromethane.

Chloromethane         C1_H3_Cl1 Boiling point (-)23.8 C  Polarity ?.?? D solvating=?????????????????????????????
    Dichloromethane       C1_H2_Cl2 Boiling point 39.6 C     Polarity 1.60 D it seems less solvating than TCM with caffiene (source?)
    Trichloromethane      C1_H1_Cl3 Boiling Point 61.15 C   Polarity 1.04 D it seems better solvating than DCM with caffiene (source?)
    Carbon tetrachloride C1_H0_Cl4 Boiling Point 76.72 C   Polarity 0.00 D overall poor solvent?

What I was wondering before all this is, why does the solvating ability of the compounds increase from DCM to Chloroform (Trichloromethane) and drop at CCl4 (Carbon tetrachloride), while Hexane has a good solvating ability?

weird, as it seems from a Rick Simpson video, Hexane (not by personal experience) pulls out less cannibinoids per ml and leaves the other stuff, whereas Ethanol, pulls out more Chlorophyll as well as pulling out the Cannabinoids. Chloroform leaves the plant matter golden/lightgreen/beige and it seems, gets mostly everything.

I mean Soxhlet extraction with Hexanes and purification by vacuum distillation seems the best route for purity [besides straight vacuum distillation of the plant matter (or bubble bags/screens)]; however, I am still curious.

15. Lol we got the same random ass thought. First thing that popped up for tapatalk when I asked google "why thc isn't soluble in water. Lol. I'm thinking is thc therefore essentially an oil? Can more things be done w this oil then we know. I'm good on my chemistry, biology I'm rusty lol

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

16. Does thc have an isomer mirror image molecule? I'm only a beginner

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk