Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Heat required to burn thc, and other parts of weed?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by nizate, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Who here knows the temperature at which thc burns? who knows when the rest of the bud burns? who knows when the red hairs burn? thanks tokes

2. Well "when thc burns" is an unscientific statement..
    Once the weed burns, the chemicals that are in it get into the smoke and you inhale it..
    Just use a lighter man and dont complicate your world more than it already is.. :smoking:

3. thc releases at 200 degress (F).
    most lighters have a flame heat of 500+ degress
    so, when lighting your bud, heat up the sides of the bowl rather than torching your nug at first.

4. Red hairs dont contain thc, though trichomes can form on them. Their main purpose is to protect the calyx.

As for temperatures...

These are just the cannabinoids. There are tons of other compounds that vaporize at different temperatures.

Phytocannabinoids, their boiling points, and properties

Δ-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)
    Boiling point: 157*C / 314.6 degree Fahrenheit
    Properties: Euphoriant, Analgesic, Antiinflammatory, Antioxidant, Antiemetic

cannabidiol (CBD)
    Boiling point: 160-180*C / 320-356 degree Fahrenheit
    Properties: Anxiolytic, Analgesic, Antipsychotic, Antiinflammatory, Antioxidant, Antispasmodic

Cannabinol (CBN)
    Boiling point: 185*C / 365 degree Fahrenheit
    Properties: Oxidation, breakdown, product, Sedative, Antibiotic

cannabichromene (CBC)
    Boiling point: 220*C / 428 degree Fahrenheit
    Properties: Antiinflammatory, Antibiotic, Antifungal

cannabigerol (CBG)
    Boiling point: MP52:confused:
    Properties: Antiinflammatory, Antibiotic, Antifungal

Δ-8-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ-8-THC)
    Boiling point: 175-178*C / 347-352.4 degree Fahrenheit
    Properties: Resembles Δ-9-THC, Less psychoactive, More stable Antiemetic

tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV)
    Boiling point: < 220*C / <428 degree Fahrenheit
    Properties: Analgesic, Euphoriant

Terpenoid essential oils, their boiling points, and properties

β-myrcene
    Boiling point: 166-168*C / 330.8-334.4 degree Fahrenheit
    Properties: Analgesic. Antiinflammatory, Antibiotic, Antimutagenic

β-caryophyllene
    Boiling point: 119*C / 246.2 degree Fahrenheit
    Properties: Antiinflammatory, Cytoprotective (gastric mucosa), Antimalarial

d-limonene
    Boiling point: 177*C / 350.6 degree Fahrenheit
    Properties: Cannabinoid agonist?, Immune potentiator, Antidepressant, Antimutagenic

linalool
    Boiling point: 198*C / 388.4 degree Fahrenheit
    Properties: Sedative, Antidepressant, Anxiolytic, Immune potentiator

pulegone
    Boiling point: 224*C / 435.2 degree Fahrenheit
    Properties: Memory booster?, AChE inhibitor, Sedative, Antipyretic

1,8-cineole (eucalyptol)
    Boiling point: 176*C / 348.8 degree Fahrenheit
    Properties: AChE inhibitor, Increases cerebral, blood flow, Stimulant, Antibiotic, Antiviral, Antiinflammatory, Antinociceptive

α-pinene
    Boiling point: 156*C / 312.8 degree Fahrenheit
    Properties: Antiinflammatory, Bronchodilator, Stimulant, Antibiotic, Antineoplastic, AChE inhibitor

α-terpineol
    Boiling point: 217-218*C / 422.6-424.4 degree Fahrenheit
    Properties: Sedative, Antibiotic, AChE inhibitor, Antioxidant, Antimalarial

terpineol-4-ol
    Boiling point: 209*C / 408.2 degree Fahrenheit
    Properties: AChE inhibitor. Antibiotic

p-cymene
    Boiling point: 177*C / 350.6 degree Fahrenheit
    Properties: Antibiotic, Anticandidal, AChE inhibitor

borneol
    Boiling point: 210*C / 410 degree Fahrenheit
    Properties: Antibiotic, Δ-3-carene 0.004% 168 Antiinflammatory

Δ-3-carene
    Boiling point: 168*C / 334.4 degree Fahrenheit
    Properties: Antiinflammatory

Flavonoid and phytosterol components, their boiling points, and properties

apigenin
    Boiling point: 178*C / 352.4 degree Fahrenheit
    Properties: Anxiolytic, Antiinflammatory, Estrogenic

quercetin
    Boiling point: 250*C / 482 degree Fahrenheit
    Properties: Antioxidant, Antimutagenic, Antiviral, Antineoplastic

cannflavin A

Boiling point: 182*C / 359.6 degree Fahrenheit
    Properties: COX inhibitor, LO inhibitor

β-sitosterol

Boiling point: 134*C / 273.2 degree Fahrenheit
    Properties: Antiinflammatory, 5-α-reductase, inhibitor

5. Thanks a lot for your help, the reason I was wondering is because water boils at 212 degrees F, and to make weed tea, you heat up the weed with water, so it cannot get above 212, and since thc boils at ~300 degrees F, how does weed tea work?

anyone?

6. the boiling water doesnt release thc as a vapor it just make the thc fall off the greenery.
    that'd be my guess.

7. Im nearly positive you cant make weed tea, as THC is not a water soluble compound. THC is only soluble in lipids, such as butter. I cant think of any kind of tea that has butter or any other oil in it so you may be out of luck. The tea you make with water might taste like weed but it wont get you high

8. acually im pretty sure it would work as seeing that i read that somewere on here. if it doesnt you can always make hot chocolate w/weed. or any other hot drink with some amount of fat in it.

9. The water temp can continue to rise after the boiling point. Contrary to popular belief, thc is water soluble... slightly. But if you want to transfer enough for a decent high, do what everyone else says. Throw some fats in there. Couple tbs. of milk and chocolate, or butter. You'll be zooted in no time. :smoking:

10. can u just put a bunch o nuggets in some oil and heat it up on the stove then chug it fast. i kno it would taste gross but is it plausible?

11. Sorry bud, once water is boiling it can't get any hotter. When it reaches 100 degrees C, it turns to vapor. Dont do crack.

12. lol. i like my crack just fine.

The water will start to vaporize very slowly as the temperature gets above 100c, but you act like its all gonna magically turn into a cloud and disappear. if you dont believe me, go stick a thermometer in a pot of water and see for yourself.

Or stick it in the microwave if you're lazy :)

edit: dont stick it in the microwave. you'll get the shit burnt out of yourself.

13. water in its liquid state can not get any hotter than 212 F. It doesn't just poof instantly, it turns to vapor over time unil it can't any more because the water is already vapor, then it might get to supersolid or something, I took chem last semester.

http://dbhs.wvusd.k12.ca.us/webdocs/Thermochem/Time-Temperature-Graph.html

but yea, weed tea has cream in it, which is super fatty, so that could absorb it. I'm just wondering how accurate 300 degrees is, if weed tea gets you high.

14. well its been a while since i've taken chem. Thanks for the lessons :D

I looked around a bit and found that water can be superheated above its boiling point in the microwave. The waves change the molecules in the water so it doesnt boil.

but back on topic...

THC begins to transfer at temperatures below its boiling point, so this is most likely why weed tea gets you high, even if the temp of the water doesnt get to 300*.

I make my butter in a similar fashion:
    -Boil a pot of water
    -throw in a stick of butter
    -throw in 1/4-1oz of buds
    -keep it at a rolling boil for between 30min-1hr
    -stir occasionally to keep the buds from burning on the bottom or sides

My guess is that since it begins to transfer at a lower temp, one could transfer the majority of the THC into the butter/tea, but its going to happen at a much slower rate than if one were to heat to 300. This is why i boil my butter for around an hour. It comes out F-ing potent too :ey:

15. So, you use the butter in cookies or brownies or something, not eating it plane and gooey, right? This could mean that by boiling the weed with the butter that it only transfers it, not activates it. When you put it in the oven, then it is activated by bringing it slightly above 300 F. I'm pretty interested in this topic now, what really happens to the thc?????

16. Well THC is "activated" by reaching the cannabinoid receptors in the brain.

If you heat it to the point of combustion (smoking or vaporizing), the thc has a more direct pathway to those receptors since the smoke is going straight into your lungs.

But you dont necessarily need to heat it to have an effect. If you were to eat weed straight up, you would need to eat a lot more than you'd smoke to get an effect. The THC is transferred into the body during the digestive process, mainly by the intestines. Its a less direct path so it takes longer for you to feel it, and like i said earlier, you'd need to eat a lot. A better method would be to fill some gel caps with kif and swallow them. But my point is, you dont have to activate it w/ heat to get high.

When you add butter, you're just giving the THC somewhere to go so you can strain out the buds afterwards. Its still thc and its still ready to get you fucked up.

17. makes sense, thanks colonel

peace

18. so then the question becomes, if you are heating the green in butter, what is the optimal temperature for maximal thc extraction? a question I have been asking for some time. I would be greatful if anyone can answer.

19. me too

i use a double boiler

butter in a bowl on top of boiling water
    wat is the appropriate butter temp if not directly tocuhing boiling water