Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. So, here is the latest innovation that is getting early big reviews. Expensive, though, but I am game to try it out.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIxhN7ZjpMI]Marijuana Man and the Sublimator - YouTube[/ame]

2. You're a wonderful guy and I applaud you. This really is a good process as many have found, maybe needing a tweak here or there, but overall a good product and I'm sure we can get this worked out. Izzy brought up a good point about the Everclear not being as pure as expected. Which state do you get the Everclear from? If New York, you may want to check out Spirytus which is 96% instead of 95% for Everclear. Full proof Everclear is also available in Michigan but not Minnesota or Washington, or Maine. I think that covers most of the border states near you, unless you're going to Alberta soon, where they do sell it.

I'd say that if you have the ability to create a better mousetrap, go for it. You could invent the Isomerizer2 of the 21st century. In fact, if you could put together a decent affordable iso2 type gadget, you would become a cannabis god. [​IMG]But when you design something, keep in mind the affect alcohol will have on any o-rings as well as leaching compounds from plastics and other chemical. You want it to be convenient but safe.

Do me a favor this time, though. Lets just do a 7g batch as a first time. That will take you at maximum of 10oz of the alcohol and leave plenty for a bigger batch after and allow us to work it out without a lot of pressure.

Thanks again for your great attitude. :)

3. That's quite a gizmo, but it looks a little hard on the lungs. :)

4. I bought some coconut oil. I'm going to try to infuse that with the hash oil. :) hope this works...

5. Try smoking the hash oil first, on a bowl or on a paper with some trim. Let's make sure that stuff works and then you'll know what to expect. :)

6. Sam makes a good point, if you don't sample it you won't know how potent it is before you infuse it into oil.

7. #1027 PsychedelicSam, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    John Sebastian and the Lovin' Spoonful is my favorite feel good band of all time and I've been dying to drop a few of these in. So, if you haven't heard of them or him, get ready. I'm going to drop some of my favorites throughout the day. If you don't care for peace, love, dove, as they used to say, just pass them by, but if you like non-violent lyrics and a summer of love attitude, I hope you like them. Don't here these on oldies anymore. Don't have much else to say this morning except to thank you for putting up with me.;)

8. #1028 PsychedelicSam, Mar 3, 2013
    I warned you!

9. #1029 durgahands, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2013
    Hey,
    Love those old tunes!
    Dumb question# 1 today:
    If I like to drink small quantities of alcohol; why am I even reducing this stuff if I make it with 151 rum!? Hahahahah
    I suppose drinking everclear isn't so easy..doh. have not opened the bottle in the freezer!
    I got everclear from NJ's WineChateau-95%

Anyway, for those looking to make a salve I would like to offer that castor oil is an old skin/hoof softener used to make the dermis more absorptive. Hard to wash out though and WILL leave a stank if not tied off in a plastic bag or laundered asap. Or just keep some linens and apparal to use only when applying the oil. If kept out of reach of oxygen it won't go rancid.
    Anyway best way to apply the oil is to a warm body part or have some hot pack to drive the oil into the tissues. Just applying then leaving it on and do some dirt work while the skin absorbs the oil - a hal hour later one can see the oil has been absorbed or the hoof given a good slather esp if one is preparing it for medicine like tea tree oil.
    Even better to first soak the area in espom salt bath or compress. Strong salt solutions set up a gradient between membranes and acts like a vacume to open the tissue/cleansing junk. It will draw out water along with the toxins so one must EMPHeSIZE. Hydration. Else the benifits obscured by the. Bad effects of too little water. Oh my how important it is to always remind us to maintain good hydration.
    Ok so wipe off all excees oil before you shower as it is like glue and heavy to wash off with water. Better to wipe dry as possible then salt scrub with soap to really get the oil off. Oil RUINS silk. :(

On horses I add at least 5% tea tree oil to the castor oil and literally paint them. The oil sticks around even in rain but doesn run into their eyes as tea tree oil will sting if too concentrated. However with a seriously infection I wxould go heavier with more tea tree oil for at least one dose is usually all that is needed.
    Ok so clastor oil makes your skin so soft.... especially if one does a dry skin brush.
    Many dont know dry skin brushing with a stiff fiber and a bit of pain necessary to free the pores of grime is very good for the immune system. It also allows solvents like GD to penetrate with more efficiency.

Use castor oil in the eyes.. it feels great!
    But not with tea tree oil unless you have pink eye.
    Dilute solutions of Tea tree are good and don't need to be more than 5% to kill e coli staph and other nasties.
    Ok I think that about covers it.
    Ps my three doses yesterday helped me:
    Felt good and relaxed enough to watch a great bball game between Miami and Duke. Normally I can't. Sit still.
    I was way clearer as I wasn't getting stoned.. smoking has it's place but I like to get some work done. So I WILL TRY TO KEEP posts short as I carry on and chill to refine this recipe.
    I will be doing a month long soak as you mentioned. In the freezer the whole time?
    I will be doing the hot water bath reduction and say I am behind in my reading to ask is that not the double boil but a slower and longer heating.? Is the desired temp less than the boiling pt of alcohol (176 or something like like).
    Sorry to show ignorance but sometimes it is a faster way to find the answer seeing what I have in my head not to renounce reading tihspeed's work many time!) I try to see what really I have retained from reading what pages I missed... can't keep track sometimes. I will re read ..I promise!
    I do like to be quiet folks, but sometimes I just got to share about castor oil.
    :)

10. #1030 PsychedelicSam, Mar 3, 2013

Well, durgahands, as I sit here smoking my home grown ass-kicking Tangerine Dream that I grew in my closet, there are no dumb or stupid questions. There is no reason you can't make a batch to use as cocktails. To do that, you could use any liquor at least 80 proof, whatever flavor you prefer. There is a school of thought that using any alcohol stronger than that is a waste and doesn't draw a higher degree of cannabinoids. But of course you can't reduce those lower percentage liquors down to the drop range that you can with 151 or 190. But they make great shots and mixers. I've even seen recipes for a thc absinthe, homemade. When you've completed your runs, just don't reduce it. Don't use extra weed because you may run into saturation issues and you want a product to enjoy throughout the night without knocking you out. It will take a little experimentation to decide the right amount for the cocktails you like, then use the empty rum or vodka bottle to hold your "special cocktail" mix. I've heard that vodka makes a delicious enhanced brew and rum, too, if you like that flavor. I would have been interested in a tequila product if I still drank. :rolleyes:

The castor oil is great tip. When I was growing up in the 50's, my dad and other relatives commonly used castor oil rubs for callouses, corns and other rough, hard labor skin issues. Also mustard plasters for deep arthritis pain and bad coughs. It could burn the hell out of your skin if not careful, but it seemed to be effective. I remember the pungent smell of those, since I slept with my dad. Nails added a contribution about using Absorbine Horse Liniment and how it works especially well with a little of the GD added to it as an immediate pain reliever. Like his, your tip will be added to the guest contributions index. Anything natural and homeopathic and used to remedy the ailments of getting not so old is welcome.

I'm glad you're liking the GD so well and experiencing it's benefits. The hot water bath is a double boiler style arrangement using the jar in the place of a bowl. The thing to keep in mind is that with a water bath using a jar, you have a much smaller surface area from which the alcohol can evaporate. To get the water hot enough to get a better evaporation rate, you'll start to get big bubbles from the water forming under the jar and threaten to tip it over. I put a couple of plain round cotton makeup pads between the bottom of the boiler and the jar. That should diffuse the bubbles unless you're boiling the water really fast. Also, at that temp you'll be boiling the water away and water vapor will be everywhere around your jar, but don't put a lid on it. As the inner GD starts to warm and become active, you'll see what appears to be condensation on the inside of the jar. If you take your finger and run it around the inside glass and smell it, it's alcohol distilling out into the air and it will get stronger as it reduces. And keep the water level up to at least the top of the GD level unless it threatens to splash into the GD. Just keep an eye on it and you should have no problem, but you're water temp should never go above 212.;)

11. #1031 PsychedelicSam, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019

12. #1032 PsychedelicSam, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    No more. :confused_2:

13. I give you credit for putting your face out there Sam, not many of us are brave enough to do that.
    Dig the chillum, never smoked out of one.

The best part:
    "...oh yeah, before I go I wanna eat this canna-cookie.... It's a.... Walnut, ummm... Chocolate chip, uh oatmeal cookie..."
    :rolleyes:

:smoking:

I look forward to more videos Sam, maybe some of your stories?

14. #1034 PsychedelicSam, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2013

I've had other requests for stories and even a suggestion of using a monetized site where I get a small dividend for views, advertising oriented. It's hard for me to talk to myself on the webcam, which I had forgotten I had. I have a lot of expressive facial ticks that I have a tendency to over exaggerate when I'm alone, a weird form of self-entertainment. I need a good headset microphone to ensure a decent sound and I'd like to get a halfway good vidcam, maybe a pawnshop. I have a studio idea but that will have to wait for the real camara. Webcam won't reach.

I used to make chillums like that but by that time no one but an old timer knew what it was or how to use it comfortably. I went looking for a modern chillum and found these little glass things that bear no resemblance to the real thing. They're little and made of glass. The chillum is the only real pipe I use on a regular basis. With the piece in the last finger space, the smoke is naturally air cooled and makes for a great smoke. I somehow edited out the best hits of the video where I'm choking pretty hard. It's a great piece but needs manual dexterity.

Thanks for the encouragement, JoJo, although you may regret it later. Or I may. Every time I've gotten in trouble in my life it was because of encouragement from others.;) But like I said at the beginning of the video, I am an activist and have always been. Anonymous activism is just whining from cowards. Anonymous supporters are the base of any alternate culture and extremely valuable, but the actual activists have to make it real, especially in this no-name, take no blame, instant gratification era. That's me, but I'm afraid it's a lost art. Flash mobs just emphasize that.

I'll shut up now and save my energy for the next one, which should be next week. I want to do a video of my Tangerine Dream Birthday Dragon process.

15. Perhaps a video tutorial on that banana leaf rolling you mentioned.

16. Hi Sam:
    Just finished making my first full batch of GD. Used just over an oz of my finest home grown bud and ran two washes. ended up with 18oz before reduction. Reduced down to 6 oz. I had quite a pile of husks on the paper filter, so I let them dry out and viewed it under a 100x scope. I can still see some trichs so I think I will throw that pile into what is left over to save for a later run, (I think you refered to it as a depleted run)

You mentioned being short on cash, and everclear being a big expense in this process made me think of a device I purchased back in the 70's. I can't remember the name, or who made it but it was highly touted as a machine that would improve the crap brick weed or shitty home grown everyone had at the time. I think it improved the weed by decarbing it, which no one around here had ever heard of in those days. It was a spacey looking metal device about 16" tall, with a separate top and bottom that worked something like a coffee pot - had a controlable heating element in the bottom which you would fill with isopropal alcohol. suspended above the alcohol was a basket you would fill with pot (like a coffee percolator)
    the heat would vaporize the iso, it would rise up and condense on the top of the machine and drip back through the weed.after several hours of this you then would add a small portion of the flushed out weed to the alcohol that was in the bottom of the machine and place a glass bowl in the top where the weed used to be. This time when the alcohol was heated and rose up as a gas, it would condense and drip into the glass bowl where it would be recovered and used next time. So in effect, it would take the thc (and whatever else) from X ammount of pot and condense it into however much you put back in (maybe 1/10th) it worked but tasted like ass, probably due to the shit weed that we always started with.
    I know this is a long story, but my point is, that if you could come up with a way to do this, you could reclaim a large portion of the everclear and reuse it. Why wouldn't that work?

Must be those machines never really caught on, but they did work. wish I still owned mine but I gave it to a friend many years ago.
    Let me know what you think about that - maybe it's just an impracticle idea, but your reminessing of times past made me think of it.

By the way, I enoyed your video. It's great to see who is on the other end - and you look like an old hippie! (I mean that in the best of ways)

17. In fact, that was going to be the first tutorial I was going to post but they won't be purchased and dried before I'm ready for the GD. Last night I just got a wild hair (guess where) and decided to do an initial test run. I promise they will get better, at least technically. I used to have a professional mixing program that I paid good money for, but it got left behind on my old computer. I have the free version now and had a much better cut but for the life of me could not figure out how to convert the project file to an uploadable format. I can add background music and other production techniques if I can get it figured out. Watch out. :eek:

The machine you're talking about is an Iso2 isomerizer and was sold out of High Times for around $400. Now, if you can find a new one (overstocked for 30 years) it will cost you 10 times that. I would give at least one of my remaining teeth for one. It did great for homegrown/wild weed because it made hash oil out of it and that would be almost pure thc, the better the weed, the more oil. I sure wish I had one now. With the right weed, you could get cherry oil out of it. It can even be used with ethanol/Everclear. If I win the lottery, I'm going to look up one of those suckers and buy it, maybe two.

It's interesting that you looked at the husks and still saw whole trics still after 2 runs. I knew there was still a little left there just like there would be with the plant material. I just never felt the need to wring the last atom out of it. After all, it grows on trees, kinda, just like money, but unlike money, I can grow my own "trees", so I just don't go that fine. But by all means, stick that stuff in with your depletion stash. It can only make it better. And now that you bring it up, others may begin to do that too. Thanks for mentioning that and again it shows how the sharing nature of this thread makes for the greater good of all.

As for the old hippie, you ain't seen the hippie yet, just the old man. The reason I look like one, though, is because I am and proud of it. :hippie:

18. [ The machine you're talking about is an Iso2 isomerizer and was sold out of High Times for around $400. Now, if you can find a new one (overstocked for 30 years) it will cost you 10 times that. I would give at least one of my remaining teeth for one. It did great for homegrown/wild weed because it made hash oil out of it and that would be almost pure thc, the better the weed, the more oil. I sure wish I had one now. With the right weed, you could get cherry oil out of it. It can even be used with ethanol/Everclear. If I win the lottery, I'm going to look up one of those suckers and buy it, maybe two. :hippie:[/QUOTE]

the iso2 - right you are. I had forgotten the name but I do recall buying it from High Times
    I just checked out ebay and somebody has one for sale for 1200.00 - good luck getting that!

of all the crap that I have hung on to, too bad this aparatus wasn't one of them

19. the iso2 - right you are. I had forgotten the name but I do recall buying it from High Times
    I just checked out ebay and somebody has one for sale for 1200.00 - good luck getting that!

of all the crap that I have hung on to, too bad this aparatus wasn't one of them[/QUOTE]

Like they say, "you've got to play to win", so that scenario's not very likely. See, nothing wrong with my memory, surprisingly. If you have science equipment experience or machining skills, you could make one, but it probably wouldn't be as cool looking as the Iso2. An Iso2 with today's reefer would be heaven. :smoking:

20. I was wondering if it's possible to use the strained weed for an edible recipe. Is there any danger in cooking it in the oven, or should I perhaps allow it to dry out first so all the alcohol evaporates?

Thank you!

-lifeisatrip