Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. #1 PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    This is a prologue to a recipe I'm getting ready to post with the help of a GC friend. I've been teaching him how to make it by private message over the last few days and he is making those private messages into a tutorial so that we can get this out to others. Since he contacted me, I've started helping 3 other members also. It is apparent to me that there is a need for this. I have been posting various recipes here that have described this process as part of making other products, but I'm going to put the actual Green/Gold Dragon recipe I've developed as standalone recipe.

First a little background. I have severe chronic pain in a lot of different places and that pain has a tendency to increase once I lie down to sleep. I had been experimenting with tinctures because I could but didn't have any real experience with them. I had gotten some at the co-op but it was a bust. I hadn't been using it for much at the time because I had some good weed and that was enough. Well, one night after a bad day I was having a hell of a time with hip and back pain. Nothing helped, morphine, oxy, ambien, advil-not even tears. I'd been lying there for hours in extreme pain and decided to try my tincture, nothing to lose.

I knew I had a winner a few minutes after I laid back down. The pain was still severe but as I lay there, the pain started to fade. The relief came in waves, slow and easy. At first I wasn't sure. Little pockets of pain were winking out and not coming back with as much intensity, then not at all and those pockets turned into pools and then a flood of relief and I floated off on a cushion of sleep. It wasn't about getting high. That wasn't possible with the pain I had. It was about the relief I felt within minutes, hands down. High is good but relief is best.

I'll have that recipe finished soon. He has already finished the editing and it's up to me to add the finishing touches. I'll have that soon. This is NOT an original recipe. I did a lot of research and condensed all I found into a fairly easy process and started testing. I wanted something that could be easy to follow so that others would consider doing it too. I've gotten some flak in my earlier threads but persevered. I didn't really think it would be widely accepted here so I just limited discussion. When I got the request to help someone with this, I was surprised but happy to finally be able to show the GC community that this was worthwhile, plus even more pleased to be able to help - if it worked. If it didn't, I stood to lose any cred I had gained and maybe even be banned for putting out bad info. Fortunately, it worked great and then it worked for someone else and here we are.

I found the seed for this right here on GC. It involves a freezer method and my version can be finished in 3 days for some dynamite tincture. No heat at all touches your marijuana anywhere in this process except for the decarb if you choose. The only real heat doesn't come until you're concentrating the final product.

You may say, "I've heard that freezing causes the pot to deteriorate. Why would I want to do that?" Well, I'm glad you asked that question. If you don't package your weed correctly when you freeze, it can deteriorate. What happens is that the trichomes freeze and fall off the bud. So, when you smoke the weed it will have lost those trics and not be as potent. If you could collect those trics, you'd have some good kief. Well, that's kind of what we're doing. We are harvesting those fallen trichomes. We want them to fall off, as many as possible. Those fallen trics are easier for the alcohol to assimilate, like the Borg (Star Trek NG:D).

So this is my preamble or maybe just a ramble. You decide. I'll have the recipe up soon. I know it's a lot of words but that's what I do.

Edit: I am adding the link for the Index/Table of Contents for this thread. The links were messed up when the format changed but all have been repaired and the Index has covered through the current end of the thread and then it will continue to be updated as the evolution continues. :)

Index/Table of Contents

• Like x 41
    • Winner x 6
    • Friendly x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. Looking forward to it! I'm looking into some smoke free and odor less ways to enjoy my MJ :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Yes, this works well. I am very impressed.

I have tried various different (best) methods which are available online and had some kind of backing or credibility. I am certain this method will produce the most potent & cleanest version of GD. Getting comfortable with (good at) this method is instant. You can feel like an expert as you are learning.

With a truly potent GD, finally, I have been able to cut down my (heavy) smoking to about half.

My body and mind both are enjoying it very much! I hope everyone else can find the same positive in this as I am finding. With a little research you will find information about these kinds of "tinctures" aka magic elixirs dating back thousands of years.

• Like Like x 6

4. Thank you, dragonparty. And particularly, thanks for your interest in this process and your invaluable help in putting this together.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1

5. Awesome P. Sam, and thanks from the bottom of my heart for going forward with this. So many can benefit.

People and their pain/levels can vary greatly, so what works for some may not for others (metabolism, other medical conditions, etc), but that doesn't mean the method doesn't work, only that it doesn't work for them. If putting a method out there helps only a handful...or even ONE, I say it's worthy of posting. Thanks again ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Question: You seem to be a fairly experienced canna chef, now I'll be making some glycerin tincture tomorrow using about 2 ounces of very quality trim, ground up in my regular herb grinder, and 2 quarts of vegetable glycerin. I'll be simmering for about 16-20 hours, and then jarring it all up in a mason jar plant matter included. I'll store this in the fridge, shaking up every day so it gets more potent, but I'll be taking out vials full at a time to use with a dropper.

And do you think this is any less/more potent than the alcohol method? I don't want to do the alcohol method, as I'm doing this for my mother, and she's been sober for over 20 years and doesn't want to touch alcohol. This may be a LITTLE different but I'd rather avoid it.

Thoughts? :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  7. #7 PsychedelicSam, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    I know that the motto for GC is if there ain't pictures, it never happened. I can attest that while it may be an unspoken motto, it is accurate. I have noticed that reactions to my offbeat posts have become a lot more positive since I started adding pictures to my threads and posts and that makes sense. People are more likely to try something they can visualize.

So, having said that, I must admit that I do not have any images at this time. At least that are dedicated solely to this subject. I was going to take some last time but had already gotten too far into it before I remembered. I'm not a gadget guy and my camera doesn't like me. Please forgive me for posting the recipe before I post pictures, but the interest I have received in the last few days has shown me the need to get this out for the general good. And as the title says, this is just another tincture thread but with a major difference and I hope you'll try it.

A lot of these tincture recipes give you the amounts you'd need to make a large batch, several ounces minimum as if you're just going to go out and throw away an ounce of your hard earned weed on something so iffey. That's not the case here. While my other recipes use a base of an ounce of top trim and popcorn, this is going to be scaled down to a level that is manageable for many, maybe most.

I'm taking my base and dividing by 4 because the 28g in an ounce is easy to quarter. I'm basically asking you to commit 7g of marijuana. If that's all you have, wait until you're comfortable with it. And while this recipe is designed for a quarter, you can cut it in half and still make enough to make it worth the effort. Once you've made it, as dragonparty said, you instantly become an expert and a lot of light bulbs will pop on.

While I use trim and popcorn, I am acutely aware that most people don't have access to growers to get good trim. Decent mids should produce a good tincture. There's someone now getting ready to verify that for us and I'm sure it will be positive. I make no claims for brick weed, Kankakee Red ditch weed, AVB, reclaim, etc. If someone wants to get back to us on that, it would be great. Clean the seeds before weighing out your 7g.

The next post will be a list of the equipment you'll need to carry out this adventure. You'll be surprised at how little it takes. They will be geared toward ease and even stealth. I'll try to make a separate entry dealing with stealth techniques that can be used in a dorm room or even with the family in the house. Can you say, "No Smell"?[​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
  8. #8 cannabutterking, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2012
    Againg Sam thanks for all your help in a successful transfer, although I never made my butter it was some good stuff. The freezer really works for keeping the chlorophyll and plant matter out of you tincture. Props on the great posts and all your help. If I could figure out how to rep you I would lol.

Edit: I forgot you wanted "cons" as well the only downfall the GD method we used is the time it takes to make it. But that time rewards you with a great product with virtually no smell and the only thing I tasted when I drank it was everclear and coke lol. The evaporation does take a little longer than the quick wash ISO but at the same time it was completely safe to drink so all in all I say Sams GD FTW!

• Like Like x 1

9. At the top of every post on the right there's a scales icon...looks like little justice scales. Click that icon to give rep :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Thank noob lol repping you for that I use the app I just realized I gotta use the browser to rep! Lol

Damn auto correct I keep forgetting to turn it off. Always making me edit posts

11. Yeah, I use the app often too. It's great for reading but you have to pop on a browser now and then to rep and 'like'. sucks.

• Like Like x 1
  12. #12 PsychedelicSam, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2015
    As I mentioned in our conversation, since I have no experience with this heated glycerin method, I wouldn't want to make any definitive statements. In my research I have seen many claims of success and as many failures for that process, as with all others. However, there is no need to worry about sobriety issues because the alcohol is all evaporated off when transferring to another medium like glycerin or honey or oil.

The big problem, as I see it, for your glycerin is your potency. It's going to be very weak. Minimum ratio for moderate potency is 1g per fluid ounce of glycerin up to 3g per ounce. More than that and you'll be on the verge of comatose. Your ratio is less than 1g/oz. You have 56 grams of weed and 64 fluid ounces of glycerin. If it were me, I would use a maximum of 1 quart of glycerin but probably less. As for as I know, you won't be able to reduce the glycerin like you can alcohol in order to increase the potency. I've seen some posts where your ratio was used and the members were wondering why they weren't blown away.

Now that I think about it, your process sounds like Wild Will's recipe and throughout the thread he is advising on that minimum ratio. Many other accepted "scholars" on the issue also gather around those proportions. 

While I realize that it's trim, good trim, and you have plenty, there's no sense in wasting it and your glycerin at first on an untried recipe until you get the bugs ironed out. Make a smaller batch at first to get the hang of it and then if you're satisfied, go whole hog. Just my opinion.[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Thanks everyone for the kind word and rep. While it wasn't necessary, it is appreciated. Thanks again.

• Like Like x 7
  14. [quote name='"PsychedelicSam"']

As I mentioned in our conversation, since I have no experience with this heated glycerin method, I wouldn't want to make any definitive statements. In my research I have seen many claims of success and as many failures for that process, as with all others. However, there is no need to worry about sobriety issues because the alcohol is all evaporated off when transferring to another medium like glycerin or honey or oil.

The big problem, as I see it, for your glycerin is your potency. It's going to be very weak. Minimum ratio for moderate potency is 1g per fluid ounce of glycerin up to 3g per ounce. More than that and you'll be on the verge of comatose. Your ratio is less than 1g/oz. You have 56 grams of weed and 64 fluid ounces of glycerin. If it were me, I would use a maximum of 1 quart of glycerin but probably less. As for as I know, you won't be able to reduce the glycerin like you can alcohol in order to increase the potency. I've seen some posts where your ratio was used and the members were wondering why they weren't blown away.

Now that I think about it, your process sounds like Wild Will's recipe and throughout the thread he is advising on that minimum ratio. Many other accepted "scholars" on the issue also gather around those proportions.

While I realize that it's trim, good trim, and you have plenty, there's no sense in wasting it and your glycerin at first on an untried recipe until you get the bugs ironed out. Make a smaller batch at first to get the hang of it and then if you're satisfied, go whole hog. Just my opinion.:D[/quote]

And my opinion (I've tried the glycerine tincture) is coconut oil is a MUCH better option. It really ups the potency and it tastes good (nutty) too. I've done both using the same materials (trim and small buds) and the coconut oil won hands down. You can use it for cooking as well...another plus IMO. BUT, there's lots of info about this and other methods in other threads ;)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Thanks a lot for the quick and helpful responses. Now, it seems everyone has their own preference but you may have a point with that coconut oil. BKS has said that the coconut oil has medium length triglycerides or something like that similar to ghee that aids in the absorption of the THC. I'll try to research that more, but seeing how that's what she used in her tutorial I think I'll take your comment to heart and use that coconut oil instead. I figure if I up my ratio to 3 ounces of trim and one quart of oil that should be good (after I do an alcohol extraction recommended by Sam). So now I suppose my question would be should I do a 2nd run of alcohol on the herb when I'm going to be putting it in my oil after ANYHOW and leaving it to remain till its last day of use. Or will the second run of alcohol be worth the extra THC extraction?

16. [quote name='"noobwannB"']

And my opinion (I've tried the glycerine tincture) is coconut oil is a MUCH better option. It really ups the potency and it tastes good (nutty) too. I've done both using the same materials (trim and small buds) and the coconut oil won hands down. You can use it for cooking as well...another plus IMO. BUT, there's lots of info about this and other methods in other threads ;)[/quote]

Did Sam mention anything about lecithin to you? It helps with bioavailibilty.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1

17. Sam hasn't said much directly 'to' me except for directing me to this thread, but I have read most of Doc and BKS's posts so I am aware of the lecithin factor. I'm having a bit of trouble finding the stuff locally though (I have looked) so I'll probably have to order it online when the time comes.

Frankly, I just started growing this year and am in a non medical state (no dispensaries and the like) so with my pain level, growing, daily chores and it being summer I've not had much of a chance to explore tinctures and the like, just dabbled a bit. My grow is fairly close to being as 'fine tuned' as it's going to get, and winter's fast approaching so that should change ;)

Thanks for mentioning it though, I'm sure a lot of folks will read this thread that aren't aware! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. #18 Digs n Dabs, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2012
    This is a "rough draft" of the Precise Recipe for the Best GD ever!

Originally this information was provided by Sam through private message to help me out because he is just awesome! Thanks Sam!!! I have edited/consolidated the info for your convenience.

(coming soon)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Awesome dragonparty! Sam walked me through it about the same time but I don't really have time to make a walkthrough.

• Like Like x 2
  20. This is what I use to make mine its on a smaller jar right now for qwiso but the lid fits my bigger mason jars

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1