Nutrient reviews

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by buddha1127, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Hi guys. I was just wondering if there were any threads on here (or any other website) that primarily feature reviews of various hydroponic nutrient lines. I've been looking around but can't seem to find any threads like this.

I have the Technaflora Recipe for Success Starter Kit. The reviews on amazon.com are generally pretty positive but I was looking for something a bit more in depth. Any of you longtime veteran growers who've tried a lot of different nute brands have any thoughts?

Thanks

2. Nutrients are like opinions and assholes...
    Everyone has one and everyone needs'em... ;)

No really, everyone will give you a different opinion of what they use and they swear it's the BEST WAY!!

Joe is going to say, use Technaflora Recipe, while Jack is going to say he is fucking crazy the Lucas formula is the best, and so on, and so on, and so on...

I have searched for months for real side-by-side studies, and NONE have been done (which can be trusted anyway)... You're going to have to pick something and try it, because with nutrients, it's all going to be trial and error until you find something which you like and gives you good results...

Then you to will tell Joe and Jack their fucking crazy... ;)

If you know what I mean... :smoke:

3. I don't poop.....so who needs an ass hole, hahahaha

Why don't you give us a budget...then we can point you towards something that works for you

Also consider sharing any sort of info on how your going to grow.

4. Ummmmm, gay men do :confused:

OK, I'm about stoned out of my mind here..
    Time for beddy by...

I personally use GH expert feeding schedule..
    In my personal opinion it's the most cost effective for tight budgets and gives great results..

5. i agree with jake.... GH three part is usually where most people start... but he uses all of them, pretty much

I just switched to House and Garden Aqua Flakes... could not be happier...

once again jake is right... H&G AF is more expensive... but in my mind is worth it... I'm lazy and want results(not even great results) with very little effort on my part and im willing to pay extra for that

but GH is easily found at any hydro shop and is usually cheaper than all its counter parts, by alot

6. #6 buddha1127, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2011
    Thanks for the replies guys. Again, i will be using:

Technaflora Recipe for Success Starter Kit (came bundled with other stuff i bought)
    The kit includes-

-B.C. Grow
    -B.C. Bloom
    -B.C. Boost
    -Sugar Daddy
    -Root 66
    -Awesome Blossoms
    -Magical
    -Thrive Alive B-1 Green
    -Thrive Alive B-1 Red
    -Cloning/Rooting Gel

Since it's a bundled kit, each bottle is on the small side. Thx for dropping a few names of other brands.

Let's just say there's no budget for now. (paid off my car recently, and moved into a less expensive but better for growing apartment) What other brands are recommended if price is not an issue?

And have any of you use Technaflora before?

My grow setup will be:

Steel cabinet. 4ft tall, 3x2ft footprint. 400w Full Spectrum HPS (air cooled), Lumatek Supercool Dimmable Digital Ballast. Hydro system is a combination of top-feed watering (water pump) and bottom feed oxygenation (air pump). I got all the other standard stuff like carbon filter, fans, etc. The grow will be a ScROG

7. That's a great kit man, I know people who bought that same starter kit and grew some awesome buds with it so there's no question you'll get great results, but it will only last you one grow if that and tbh it's kind of complicated (lots of stuff to measure) but those are really the only negatives

I started with the Lucas Formula. 8ml Genhydro FloraMicro, 16ml FloraBloom per gallon. Two bottles, same simple formula for the whole grow, great results.

I still use it but with a couple additives like sweeteners and boosters but tbh my end product hasn't changed much so that just is what it is.

In the end, a grower just finds what works best for him/her. Aquaflakes, Fox Farm trio, GenHydro (3 part, or 2 part w/ lucas formula), Canna Vega/Flora, BioBuzz.... they all work, but its up to the grower to find what works best for them

you sound very prepared though, good luck with your grow!!

8. Well there are three major players which make nutes for what we do and ALL give GREAT results...

Technaflora (B.C.)
    General Hydroponics
    Advanced Nutrients

Of course there are MANY, MANY more, like "House and Garden" which Tihspeed had mentioned, and I'm sure they do very well using the correct feeding schedules, so it is really what you prefer...

Again what I think is great, Tihspeed may come behind me and call me an idiot that "House and Garden" is the best to use, and then someone else will come behind him and say he is a dumbass, that Advanced Nutrients is the best to use (and so on, and so on)...

Point being, they ALL give great results with the correct usage, and it is more of a preference other than any REAL WORLD controlled side-by-side testing being done as to which is the best...

Again personally, I like General Hydroponics, its simple to use, cost effective, and gives great results...

But keep in mind that I setup medical grows which most medical patients are on a tight budget because of medical costs hitting them hard... So this too is influencing what I suggest, and being I'm suggesting it to patients, I must know the product to offer real support on maintaining their hydroponic systems..

But if I were you and since you already have Technaflora, I'd stick with it for this grow, and maybe try something else in the next grow...

Good luck, you're setup sounds nice.. ;) :wave:

9. Thanks for the great responses guys. The kit that i have comes with a pretty easy to understand mixing chart so it's cool. As a former chef, i used to make dishes with over 30 ingredients, so a 5-7 ingredient nutrient mix should be a breeze. Again, thanks for the tips.

10. Here is their online mixing calculator for your reference:
    Technaflora

11. Yeah thx. I saw that already when i was browsing their website. Pretty handy backup to have

12. nope... i generally agree with most of what you have to say.... this would be no exception...

the only thing you've written in a while that i did not agree with was what size of a grow makes it worth growing... you put toasty on blast... and I agreed with toasty, but there really is no wrong answer... hence why I didn't even bother to post... wranbling...

the bundle you got will be awesome... do lots of research on grows that use that brand and you will be very happy OP... now start a journal so others can follow along and help you... cant wait to see how things go

13. Who's toasty and when did I blast him??? :confused::confused::confused:

14. Thanks. Yeah i'm figuring out my camera settings right now so i can post pics, which i'll need in order to have a journal. I still have some testing to do to make sure all my stuff is working correctly before i germinate anything, but i'm getting there step by step...

I was just curious about the other comment. What size grow did you guys think was the minimum needed in order for it to be "worth it?" What did you say and what did he say?

15. I don't know???

I try and help so many people here on this forum, I cannot remember everywhere I post... But I guess that I stepped on some toes somewhere along the way...

Sometimes I can be brutally honest and sometimes people get offended with my honesty...

I have no clue what I said or who Toasty is.. :confused:
    My bad.... :eek:

16. Ya, you should be able to pull at least 3/4 lb...
    This guy claims 18 zips off a 2 plant 400w SCROG in a 2x5 tent...

Pic looks great...

17. I don't know about 3/4lb

I got about 5oz from my single plant 400w grow but that was with no training so who knows

18. toasty is a guy with a very large post count... and his answers make him seem like he's been in the game for so long its just ridiculous... You were not insulting... you said that you'd have to disagree... it wasn't really bad man.. don't even give it a second thought... that was the only post i have ever seen you make that was against popular opinion... and there's nothing wrong with that... i was just trying to give you props for hanging it out there

19. ur both wrong botanicares the best. lol
    hey jake while were on nutes have u heard of or tried Genesis Nutrient its super cheap at $18 a gallon for each micro grow and bloom. thought with the tight med setups u do thought u might have run into this nute line.

20. Ya Biggie, I have always felt that when doing low wattages (such as a 400w), and no secondary lighting you should LST..

I never really got into SOG or SCRoG because the medical grows I setup, most patients have so much going (with their condition) they would not have the time needed to maintain a grow like the SOG or SCRoG, thus I have always suggested LST..

In any case, I personally have seen LST 400w grows pull always at least 8-10 zips off a plant, LSTing them...

Check this out man, you'll be impressed for sure.. ;)
    400W HPS Scrog - 1Plant - 450gr Harvest

Well I NEVER try to insult ANYONE, sometimes my direct approach and my brutally honest answers people take the wrong way.. But as any man would, if someone gets rude, I will get rude back.. But I NEVER take the first swing..

Also, I'm not always right, as there is only one which walked this earth that was perfect in mind, body, and spirit. I'm also sure he has never come to GrassCity, he was more of a hands on kind of man.. ;)

Yes, Jesus Christ is my lord and I'm speaking of him.. :wave:

Hey thesage3, not seen ya in a while :wave:, where ya been?? ;)

Yes, I seen that, just not sure how well it would do with not offering any (out of the box) supplements, I just never really had the time to test them and did not want to use someone which needs good medication a.s.a.p as a test subject..

There are a LOT of nutrients which are cheaper than GH, but personally I believe "the proof is in the pudding"... As Jerry Maguire said so loudly, "Show me the money"... ;)

The icmag.com forum started this new area within their forum called "Side by Side Grow Experiments", and I have already been in communication with their administrators.. Once setup to do so, I'm going to be running some side-by-side experiments on nutrients by strictly following the manufacturers' mixing/feeding suggestions..

The icmag forum is more of an advanced grower forum, as they don't allow just anyone register and just start posting.. Then if someone posts a tarded question/answer, or asks a question which has been answered a thousand times over (like on this forum), they better be wearing a fucking helmet because they're going to get pummeled with rocks.. :D

So it is NOTHING like this forum here at GrassCity, because they do not have a problem banning a someone which continues to give poor advise or ask stupid questions... LOL

Also, it's funny you pointed me to GreenTrees Hydroponics, because that is where I buy ALL my nutes, they have the best deals (overall) that I can find online or locally...