250 MH/HPS grow - can't decide plant #'s - all info inside!

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by al merrick, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Hello, If I could get some pointers here's the setup and would love some feedback on how many I should do, I'm shooting for at least 110-125g's as a realistic goal.

• actual space for plant growth = 32" high x 17" wide x 28" deep (that's including the height of the reservoir for DWC but not including the 6" cool tube.)
    • Using a 250 MH to veg - going to be scrogging and topping
    • Using a 250 HPS to flower
    • 4" S&P solely for the cooltube with a batwing reflector, intake from outside (usually 80ish), exhaust pushed through DIY carbon filter
    • 3 (2" big)- 36 CFM inline fans blowing at base of the reserve on stems and undergrowth
    • 3 (2" big)- 36 CFM inline fans exhausting above the light reflector
    • Using GH nutes and Lucas method
    • 18 gallon DWC - hydroton, dual output air pump, nothing fancy
    • Strains to work with : white widow x afghan kush , blueberry gum, barneys LSD,and northern lights x skunk

that should give you a good idea with space and constraints, your thoughts?
    thanks again, i appreciate your inputs, the strains listed are the ones that are on hand.. so its no mystery of what will be coming...

2. #2 al merrick, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2011
    I was leaning towards 2 because of the hydroponics, first time hydro not first grow that is certian, however from research I'll experience a lot less pH swing with each plant having access to a 18 gal res. However I'd be bummed if I lost out on yield due to having only two (2) plants but it is not impossible to get 2 oz's from each plant but might be pushing my luck with a smaller plant number and relatively low wattage lighting, although I do agree it is a matter of watts not plants but there is some variability in strains, Barney's LSD is a good producer and the others have all mentioned high yields but I have never personally grown these exact strains, and knowing white widow is not a HUGE yield-er but this is a cross strain so I guess i'll see, can't always believe the seed seller's hype.

I next thought three (3), and thought it might be odd because it was an odd number (ha), but second thoughts were a less efficient canopy coverage if I tried to do three in a space, perhaps if the grow-box was triangular in shape but could just be me thinking, aesthetically.

Four (4) plants would be my tops and if I got an Oz off each I would be fairly happy and know it wouldn't be straining the genetics of the plant to produce it, but that is just speculation. I know I won't do more then 4 because I want to keep plant numbers low so the sweet spot is somewhere between 1-4, leaning more towards 2-4, if you can think of a more logically sound idea I'll be all ears and would love to know if ya got any ideas.

3. Your amount of space is gonna be the biggest constraint. I would just do 2 or 3 hydro and let them get as big as you can. My friend had a 250 hps in a 2x4 closet, and I bet he probably got 10 ounces at least, with some colas the size of my forearm (I'm 6'4"), all in hydro buckets (4 plants I believe).

4. So far i'm sticking with 2, hoping they have 100% survival rates...
    do you know how long he vegged for?

5. I think like 5 or 6 weeks from clone.

6. Hey Al, have you since started growing?

What did you wind up with?

hg

7. I run a GL60 with a 250 watt hps/ mh and 2 plants are tight. I grew a GHS Exodus Cheese and a Early Skunk in soil. I ended up with 2 oz's off each plant. I didn't scrog and there wasn't much room. This time running 2 GL60's SCROGing a Lady burn 1974 in a waterfarm and a Grapefruit Krush in soil. Sould have a much higher yield this time.