PPMs really high

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by xxxMindxGamexxx, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Hey I was just wondering if adding too much ph up and down can raise the ppms alot, I was just getting the hang of using ph up and down and when I checked the ppms it was really high about 500 more than it was supposed to be.

And I was wondering when to add the micro and grow nutes. Im about to put my seeds in tomorow. Im running a bubbleponics and I was just curious if I have to wait til the roots dangle in the water before adding nutes or can I just do it now?

2. #2 zeek666, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2011
    500PPM Will certainly kill your seedlings.

I started seeing nutrient burn at only 150ppm.
    If you want to get your seeds going, use a growth hormone and start off around 80ppm.

PH will not add to your ppm.

The roots don't need to be dangling initially, the bubbles will pop and splash the medium.

3. MindGame, you are saying you had PPM's around 500 w/ straight tap water? I am not 100% here but PH buffers should not effect ppm's in any way. If that is the case you have some very hard water and may need a RO system.

That aside, just water your seedling for the first two weeks with tap water (ph adjusted). Then when they start vegging out slowly bring up your nutrient strength.

My tap water is around 220 ppm, and didn't burn my seedlings at all, they germinated well.

Do yourself a favor and buy a good medical marijuana grow book (the Jorge Cervantes one is great), then you don't need to be misinformed by all the "information" posted here.

4. Holy crap! You guys have that in your tap water!

My tap water is between 30-80ppm.

I guess since there is no macro nutrients in the tap water, high ppm is plausible.

5. Okay to clarify I was using RO water but I had added nutrients, I bought stealth hydro nutes and it comes in prepackaged doses. I added an entire grow and an entire micro. First mistake. I then added too much ph up and down trying to get the hang of it. I have since thrown this water out and used just regular RO water from the grocery store. Im not going to add any nutes until after significant grow from seedling to vegatative.

I am however wondering about the "Lucas Formula". EVERYWHERE I read about it people are using liquid and miraclegrowth powder which im guessing is not the same as my nutes if theyre using 7 grams as a full dose. Mine are a crystally powders I would say about 3.5 grams per packet.

So my questions are:
    1. Can I use the lucas method with my Stealth hydro nutrient packets? (They do have micro and bloom)

2. I have mycorhizzae or whatever packets with tea bags inside. What are these and when should I add them to my reservoir? Can i use them in addition to nutes?

3. Im thinking after the two weeks is up im going to mix up a batch of about 1/4 packet of micro and grow. And add it to the reservoir to see how much the ppm is raised and put more in if needed. And then if the ppms start dropping from the plants feeding, Do i do a res change or do i just add more nutes?

4. Also, If algae starts to develop do I add hydrogen peroxide with the pumps still on, or do I take the plants out and add it then do a res change?

6. I have the all the grow guide movies on my computer:smoke:

7. once you start H2O2 you have to continue use for the duration of the grow

i'd ask a specific question about your particular brand of nutrients in another thread...

like how to use them... trying to make your nutes work with lucas IMO is not a good idea... once again MO...

you also have to add bloom first and mix well before adding micro... its the one with calcium... otherwise you end up with floaties all over the place

good luck.. looks like you have a hard road ahead of you...

maybe take some pictures of your setup and your nutes and maybe that will help

8. But im committed and thats all that matters! Lol ill probably just stick to the packet sizes and just monitor the ppm. On my next grow though Im definately getting floragrow liquid and trying the lucas method