DWC flushing

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by -Dizzy-, Dec 16, 2010.

1. I am having a hard time finding a straight answer by reading about the topic. I want to know if people pH adjust their flush water while in hydro (DWC to be specific) My tap water is under 100ppm but once I get it adjusted it ends up around 300 because of the pH down. What do you guys do?

2. Assuming that you are adding back clear water on a daily basis ...

1. You should not be using 100 ppm water as source for DWC.

2. The concept of "flushing" does not apply to DWC as there is no salt build up in a DWC if you are re-loading the nutrient solution every 7 to 10 days.

3. If you are talking about harvest "flushing" (which actually means 0 nutrients) then consider that you are starving your plant and forcing it to move N:p:K around in the plant to support the budding - which might be a good idea. I just let my nutrient solution water down over the last couple of weeks.

3. right on. I could have been more specific. I am trying a short flush on one plant (3 days) and none on the other identical one. This is for harvest. I have heard people argue wheather a flush is necessary in DWC so I said fuck it, the only way to know is to try yourself. I will compare and share my opinion in a couple months. Thanks for the input.

4. Looking forward to the results!

5. ive been wondering the same thing.
    so far its looking like not flushing is fine... :D

6. I think the way the story goes is that "excess" N and P load up into the bud - like there is a bunch just hanging around, waiting to get used. So if you dont get rid of that excess your buds burn funny and taste like poop.

I would feel bad if I loaded up the 'ol BB with clear water and run it for a week .. I'd be listening for the plant to be all whimpering and all.

7. It has been 48 hours now and I can see definate signs on the one in pure water. Tomorrow won't come quick enough. This leads me to beleive there weren't any nutrients "hanging around" in the flowers. *shrug* now it is just up to the smoke report

8. Alright, I broke out the taster pieces to see if I can distinguish a difference in flavor or any of that shit.

The only noticable difference is how they look. I can not tell one apart from the other by taste or smell.

The plant I flushed has some purple in places but that is it. Could bring some bag appeal but I aint into that shit. In the future I will NOT flush my DWC plants before harvest. Just let them "water down" as raoul suggested.

9. As long as you cure it right there should be no difference in taste smell harshness.

People say influshed the ash is black, bs. My shit is grey

10. I've been reading through the controversial approaches to this topic. In my previous grow i didn't flush at all and i thought it tasted just fine. This time i'm going to gradually reduce my ppm over 4 days and then use 100ish for the last 3 days.

11. so is it not necessary to flush unless you over-nute your plants? if you were to flush in dwc, do you just use plain water just in the res or do you pour the plain water over the hydroton in the basket into the res?

12. We are really just mimicking natures cycles with tuned-up plant strains and environmental control, so it seems that depending on strain, nutrients and chlorophyll get used up when plants naturally ripen up. I starve the plants to use up this stored energy and let them ripen a bit. pure H2o and a pH appropriate to the strain for as long as it takes ( 1-2 weeks if timed correctly) ..but that's just me.

13. I'd agree G-rider, I personally don't and won't smoke unless flushed. My first try at strain now growing had crop too wilted after pruning with 2-3 weeks to go. I harvested and made bho. It was great but looking forward to smoking clean, flushed product in 4-5 weeks.

14. You don't want to pH correct your water no. By doing so you're adding salts which is exactly what you're trying to avoid with the flush. 100ppm tap water is pretty good, just give them that and nothing else.

If you check the EC of the plain water when you add it, and then again 24 hours later you'll find that the figure will rise. After 24 hours your girl wont leech into the medium any more. Bearing that in mind, my opinion is that it's important to flush, but not for more than 48 hours.

Feel free to disagree :smoke:

Orient

15. May be I should drop the idea of buying nutrients in the future:rolleyes:.What the point to waist money if I can simply use bad quality water instead.:wave:

16. Buddy, I've got no idea what you're saying. Rephrase perhaps? Unless you've misread what I wrote:

I was referring to the topic of the thread, not what to grow with.

Orient

17. I probably did,accept my apologies:wave:

18. #18 Oriental Kush, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2011
    Not needed at all. If I'd interpretted what I'd said the same way as you, I'd have been first aboard the rage train.

God I'm baked, that might net even make sense. I'll check back in on it tomorrow:smoke:

Orient

19. Enjoy your flight :wave:

20. I always flush my dwc and it seems to help along with cureing to make a smoother smoke :)