DWC Bubble bucket,Cfl, Closet grow journal

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by highambitions, Oct 28, 2010.

1. so i figured that since i didnt want to wait for good soil to come in the mail, and all the stores decided to trade soil for santa, that i would just skip all that and build a bubble bucket.(still using cfls for light, going to hps soon.) gotta go to the hydro shop to get the final supplies but heres a few pics so far though.:smoke:

gotta get bigger airstones though...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ill put up pics as i go so hopefully ill have something going in a few days.

2. Not enough air from that single outlet walmart pump. Add another one at least.

In a tub just like that one, I have 4 stones with a eco 4 outlet pump running.

3. yeah... and tape the whole thing up with foil tape... sweet start though

4. #4 highambitions, Oct 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2010
    yeah i noticed after i got it full of water that id need another one. went to a new hydro store that opened down the road yesterday. theyve got a few nice things just waiting for their "big shipment" theyre getting. so hopefully i can get my hydroton, nutes, and another pump. theyve got a bigger one at walmart so i think if i run them both ill be good with a couple more stones to even everything out. about the foil tape, i was gonna get that chrome duct tape would that work or is there a different type to get? oh yeah almost forgot, this is my first time with cfls and i was wondering if they make a round clamp reflector big enough for the one-two socket adapters? i want to get rid of the power strip idea im using, but that seems like a pretty good way to go with those reflectors.
    (btw its in a different closet now gotta get the mylar up.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. heres a couple updates. Got my hydroton and nutes today. waiting for my seeds to finish up germing and away i go. I do have a couple questions though. I add the mico nutes first to prevent lock-up right? and i was talking to the owner of that new hydro store while i was there today and he was asking me if i knew how well an aeroponics mister would work with one of these sytems. Like have the airstones goin but add a few mist nozzles inside the tub to mist the roots like an aeroponics setup. Would this even be worth doing? since theyre pretty much being misted by the bubbling water anyways?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. you need to tape the top with foil tape bro... or paint it black then white.. to ensure you don't have light leaks

sure the aero thing is a awesome idea.. maybe he heard how many air stones you had in there and knew you needed a little help with your grow

the main reason i would suggest using aero as well as dwc is because if your air pump fails your plants wont die... their still protected with a the aero system.. but your gonna have to put out a little cash to get the aero thing going and this seems to be a money tight operation.... so maybe after you have some results you can dump some more cash

7. Stop right there...Before you do anything else, go to lowes, walmart etc...and buy some of that aluminum duct-tape thats used for duct work.
    Wrap the whole thing in this tape.

The first time you get alge and root rot, waste a month or more, and lose the whole fucking grow, you'd wished you spent the 5 bucks on the tape.

8. #8 highambitions, Oct 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2010
    right on yeah i went and got a few things including the tape before i checked these so good thing i got it lol. shes taped up now gotta home made reflector on my cfls now. looking around the forum right now to COMPLETELY understand the ratios and ppms for my nutes. gotta get em mixed today as ive got my seedlings ready. and like i said this is my first hydro grow so i need all the help and direction i can get. but thanks so far for your guys' help its not going un-appreciated.
    [​IMG]

9. awesome reflector... way to just make things up and make them work.. i love diy's

good tape job...

now what room is this in? Make sure when you switch to flower you don't have light leaks, you will end up with hermies... this should be the last hurtle you have to jump

10. Looks good. Tape up the sides of the tub also.

I use the Lucas formula, not so strong as they say, 8 & 16 burns my plants, and I add CalMag at the end.

11. its in a walk in closet in my bedroom. i wish i could put it in a closet thats central in the house so i dont have to watch temp conditions so much but this is the only closet i can use. this is a pretty risky one for me because my landlord is my neighbor. and hes in the house now and then to work on things. this is also the only room capable of being locked or at least will be tonight or tomorrow. and yeah about the light leaks, i hung a temp gdead tapestry over the doorway to the closet cause its pretty bright so im gonna go get a cheap door tonight at the depot to hang and then i can use foam doorway insulation to lock in the light and put a small exhaust fan/vent in the door.

ok also, i was doing some math from my nute bottles. they say to add 1.25 mL per gal. of each nute. i hear a lot of ppl saying to cut the first week on seedlings in half with the nutes to prevent burning up my seedling. so with an 18 gal. res., reccomendednutes would be 22.5 mL of each nute. but for the first week cut it in half i put in 11.25 mL of each right?

12. Noticed your using a clear hose i have read and heard that you want to use a black type of hose because of algie because water can and dose get into the hose. i like the use of the tin roaster as a lid for your lights.;)

13. yeah ive been seeing talk about this. and yeah i try to be as constructive as i can. after looking it up to see if anyones done it it just seemed dumb not to use it instead of spending money for one.

14. wasnt thinking when you said light leaks lol yeah im gonna wrap it all up in the am as well as get my mylar put up.

15. :hello:Got the two germed seeds in already starting to sprout up after like 6 hours. got my nutes mixed using the lucas formula for cfls. ph is still a little unstable but i think it just needs to all mix in. its been stable for a fe whours now though at 5.9. hopefully my other 3 seeds will be ready for me tomorrow afternoon. thats the update so far ill be sure to get pics up when the sprouts are decent.:smoke:

16. Well you got all 3 of the GH series, mix up the veg stage like the instructions on the side of the bottles. The lucas would be to strong for the CFL's at 8 & 16.

17. #17 highambitions, Nov 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2010

theres a different formula for cfls using 0-4-8 when my seedlings sprout.

"Low light ratio, and flowering vs veg

Lucas Formula should be used in the same ratio throughout the grow. There is a misconception that one should use 5ml of Micro and 10ml of Bloom, when in veg, and switch to 8ml of Micro, and 16ml of Bloom, when flowering.

This was never stated by Lucas himself. He originally stated that the 0-5-10 ratio was for LOW LIGHT situations (fluorescent lighting like PL/L and CFLs, or HID lamps less than 400W), whereas 0-8-16 is for medium to high light (400W+)" What is Lucas Formula, and how do I use it?

please correct me if im wrong though so im not effin up. heres a link to what led me to this discoveryhttp://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/690754-looking-little-first-time-direction-gh-nutes.html

18. :Djust a quick update while im on. only have one planted starting to sprout in the middle for now had a small problem germin seeds. but also got my mylar up huge difference in the light comin out of the closet now.....not good need a door lol. nothing exciting enough for pictures but in due time i should have some money growin on trees!

19. Looks like a set up a friend of mine had in his cupboard.

His did really well over a couple of years like 3oz+ a plant so much easier than soil less maintenance better yields what more can you ask for :D

20. right? its my first hydro setup but so far everythings been pretty easy from all the help ive gotten here on the city.