Dwc Sea Of Green?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by TheAverageWhiteGrower, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Ok all, I'm a brand new member of the Grasscity forum. Prior to today I'd been posting over at RUI. I've had a bunch of failed grows, but these were all before I was really trying... The first time I really put in the diligence and effort, I scrogged 2 plants in DWC. My 4' x 4' scrog (under 600w MH/HPS) yielded 230 grams... Not as much as a good grower could get from their scrog, but plenty for my first "real" grow.

I tried a perpetual grow with a DIY aero cloner, flood/drain tables, and a soil mother, but I couldn't get even a single cutting to root. I gave up on the mother out of frustration. So I went back to DWC/SCROG.

I'm currently in bloom on my second DWC/SCROG... This I have 3 plants under a 3' x 6' screen with 2x 600w MH/HPS. I learned from my first grow and hope to really up the yield... I'm hoping for 1+ gpw this grow... If I stick with SCROG/DWC in the future, I'll recirculate or undercurrent my grow. Changing nutes after adding the screen is a virtual nightmare...They say learn to grow first, then learn how to boost yield... That's where I am now.

I'm still interested in perpetual grow, but I am good at DWC, so I want to combine the two methods... Since I'm still a rookie, I'm asking for some feedback on my idea.

The instructions I had for the flood/drain table had me building reservoirs out of the 27 gallon totes with the yellow lids (Home Depot/Lowes has them for $11 each). The flood table is built out of cement mixing trays capable of hold about 8 1 gallon pots... I know it's supposed to be super easy to grow like that, but I couldn't get it working the way I wanted... So what I want to do is take the same tote and put 8-10 5" net pots in the lid. I have a 5 gallon bucket with 10 clone sites. It was a simple build and I'll do another one when I have time... Then, I'll have a total of 6 of these totes:

1 tote for vegging (the 8-10 plants will spend 2 weeks in veg)
    4 totes for flowering (each lid will spend two weeks in each tote)
    1 tote for plain water flush (somewhere between 1-2 weeks until harvest).

Obviously, each bucket will have it's own air stones, not recirculating or undercurrent... This will allow me full access to each reservoir, and the ability to harvest 8-10 small plants every few weeks...

Can anyone shoot holes in my plans before I go and build out my buckets and buy air pumps and stones? Essentially it will work just like any other perpetual grow, but with DWC instead of flood/drain...

I can't see anything foreboding, but I can't find anyone else doing it either... so I'm skeptical... Thanks for your thoughts... BTW, attached is a picture of my 3' x 6' SCROG (my current grow)

Attached Files:

2. Wouldn't moving the plants into a flush tub be a total pain in the scrog?

I also firmly believe in 1 plant per reservoir.

Nice setup though. That screen looks badass.

1000 watt Scrog Journal

3. I wouldn't use a screen once I got to sea of green... Just the lids with the net pots... A true sea of green, just with Dwc

4. #4 GoldGrower, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2014
    The system is sound, but it would mean you looking after 6 separate reservoirs each having different ppm levels and the mother on top. It would be a lot of work and essentially less yeild than you would get having simply a veg area and a flowering area. But if you want to be harvesting every couple of weeks I'm sure it will work.

I have seen several people plan this very same idea but not once have I seen someone stick to it. I believe the constant work you have to put in eventually puts people off

Very nice looking ScrOGs by the way