Beginner Hydro Grow

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by CompleteAsshole, Apr 2, 2013.

1. #1 CompleteAsshole, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2013
    First time at a serious grow. Bag Seed. Wanted to try it out before buying seeds Got a 400w mh/hps, stealth hydro 4 pot system, GH three part nutes, daytime temps 77f max, 55rh, night time 65f min 40rh
    recently got a second bucket to spread out the 2 ladies I got out of 4 seeds.

any comments/suggestions welcome

2. It sounds like you know what you're aiming for. Those numbers look good. I'd say if you're able to accomplish that on a dry run you might as well put a good fem'd seed or 4 in there because if you actually maintain all that the whole time at those numbers and nothing insane goes wrong you will get a lot of nice fat buds to smoke on.

Pics would be good. If you start out at a seedling and document it all the way through a couple of things happen. 1) everyone can chime in and help and offer suggestions and you'll never be in the dark about what's happening with your plant. Success rate of newb grows w/ journals vs those without has gotta be huge. 2) It lets you go back and remember exactly what you did in case you forget something next time. It gives you a point of reference to make sure that you're progressing from one grow to the next in terms of quality and efficiency. 3) You'll get shit tons of rep for posting pics of growing, live, healthy weed plants. People here love that shit.

Welcome to the city! Don't be afraid to ask anything!

3. thanks for quick reply. heres a couple pics from a couple days ago. they just woke up gonna go take some more now

Attached Files:

4. a couple more i just took

Attached Files:

5. forgot to add that im at full strength nutes around 1100 ppm. keep ph around 5.5. gotta get a digital ph reader. the damn drops in the water thing kinda unreliable.

6. #6 budman4420, Apr 2, 2013
    i vote you trim those unneccessary shade leaves off. they are blocking the light from getting to the inside of the plant

• Like Like x 1
  7. wasn't sure about trimming. heard it will decrease quality or yield. maybe next grow. lst'd it to keep it small, and i use twist ties to tie down whatever is blocking light.

8. utter madness! it's those fan leaves that collects the light energy so the plant can grow. if you cut off fan leaves it's the equivalent of ripping out your car's engine, pouring petrol/gasoline directly over the wheels and wondering why the car won't move

9. those leaves aren't "blocking" the light, they are collecting it

btw those plants look good mate, sounds like you know what your doing

10. have the basics and some advanced stuff down in theory. just never put it to physical use. they vegged for about 40 days that was 12 days ago now i believe. next grow will pay closer attention to timing. this is my first grow in about 10 years. just wanted to yield something. duly noted on the "blocking" the light. when they wake up i will untie everything cause a lot of leaves are disfigured a bit from the tying

11. tying branches down so more leaves are exposed is a good thing, just don't hide away the big fan leaves to get light to lesser significant leaves. if you open up the plant so light can get to both then two thumbs up

12. Id pull those fuckers... sucker leafs...you dont need them,..
    Funny thing is the plant grows new ones, and besides we want budsites not leafs..

like you said also you want to get that meter..5.5 is to low and will cause issues eventually..;)

13. ok thanx YODA. newb ?, but which ones exactly? im tying down pretty much all the lower fan leaves except the top maybe 2 nodes, since they are still relatively small. everything else is untouched. all branching i have just let grow

14. haha is that a joke? the plant will not be able to grow much bud without the fan leaves. what job do you think the fan leaves have? in fact, what job do you think bud has?

the bud does not photosynthesise much at all, nor does it transpire water, co2 or o2 much. the fan leaves do all this. the bud are it's reproductive organs, and are in turn a drain on the plant.

this is all very basic biology, a children's biology book would explain this fully

15. #15 CompleteAsshole, Apr 2, 2013
    im thinking that all the other growth would more than compensate for the work of 3 or 4 fan leaves. i may be incorrect but that is why i am here.

also. i have been at 5.5 - 6.0 range the whole grow. doesn't generally rise or fall at all between res. changes. every 5-7 days. they drink about a gallon a day. ill get a pic of the roots tonight.

16. i dont believe this is true whatsoever, there is a reason people lollipop their plants, its to get more direct light/energy to the stem (or budsites), the plant gets new growth wherever the light goes, leaves are irrelevant. Yes they HELP photosynthesis and things like that, but definately not required, defoliating your plants is a tried and tested method. JS

17. few more pics i took last night. thinking ill just wait till next grow to prune. don't wanna disturb them. almost at end of pre flower i think.

Attached Files:

18. @theanswer21, i believe you saw mine, only 5wks, just put the pic w/o HPS up this morning if you wanna check em out

19. already commented. they look nice bro

20. #20 CompleteAsshole, Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2013
    just went to check on mine before they go to bed. water level kinda low. should i top off or are they ok for 12 hours. gonna mix some up real quik. jic ill get a pic up in a min.

Attached Files: