DangerousD's Nirvana fem. Jock Horror Bubble buckets

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by dangerousD, Sep 30, 2011.

1. I received my feminzed Jock horror seeds today from Nirvana. great stealth packaging, as always! I received 5 seeds, and put 4 of them in a glass of distilled water (saving the last seed for a rainy day).

I placed the glass on a heating mat, and leave it in the dark. after 24 hours, I will place the seeds inside a damp paper towel and put that paper towel inside a tupperware container with lid on it and place it on the heating mat. The tupperware lid will help keep the paper towel moist, although I will open the container a few times a day to keep fresh air in there. The heating mat really helps germination success, in my experience.

I predict that by day 2-3 there will be little tap roots poking out of the seed. I will be trying to do a very detailed journal this time with pics daily. I really hope to use this journal to help educate anyone that is wanting to learn how to grow, specifically in a recirculating bubble bucket system. It's a great way to grow, and if you can dial in all the settings, it's a very easy system to maintain, and gives great yields in a minimum amount of time.

just a little bit about this 70% sativa/30% indica strain: from Nirvana's website

Nirvana Jock Horror is a three-way marijuana hybrid of Northern Light, Skunk and Haze. Jock produces so much resin that even its branches glisten with THC glands. This marijuana seeds variety has a unique fresh flavour and packs a strong "up" buzz. Our Jock seeds will finish flowering earlier than the original Jack of a few years ago. One of our all-time favourite marijuana seeds.
    White strain: Yes
    Feminized: Yes
    Medical: Yes
    Effect: High (cerebral, heady effect)
    Flowering period: 9 - 11 weeks
    Average yield: 350 - 450 (g/m² in SOG)
    Flavour: fruity / herbal
    Plant height: Tall
    Plant type: Indoor
    Indica / Sativa: Predominantly Sativa

Also, I am no expert, so I ask that if anyone sees anything that I'm doing wrong, or giving wrong advice, please dont hesitate to correct me! I want people to learn from my grow!

2. day one of germination

Attached Files:

3. i've been keepeing an eye on your other journal, but i'll sub to this one. what's your set up on this one?

4. Hey RiskyBusiness! I am going to use pretty much the same setup, however, I will germinate these seeds under 24 hr t5 high output flouro's until I chop down my northern lights, and then I will put them in that same room.

however, I am going to have to do a better job of keeping an even canopy with this grow, as those northern lights (well, 2 of the 4 anyway) really stretched, and made the canopy really uneven, and I think that will hurt yield. I have been kicking around the idea of getting a much bigger exhaust fan (currently 100 cfm) to around 400 cfm. also, I really want to pick up another 400w HPS light, and put 2 of them in there. temps haven't been over 75F, so I don't think heat will be an issue, and the extra light could mean a much higher yield. i'm not sure yet, but I am leaning towards these purchases.

also, I had the ppm's too high through most of my flowering and I think it will also affect yield in a negative way. In the future, I won't go above 900 ppm. I'll probably be sticking with the GH expert feed program, although I must say, I am curious to try advanced nutrients.

5. bummer about the ppm's and uneven canopy, but mistakes are apart of the growing experience.

and if you can afford them i'd definitely get the fan and the light, but i wouldn't buy one without the other.

how'd you figure your ppms were too high? did you have nute burn?

6. honestly, I didn't catch it, someone else noticed it from a pic I posted. Most of my pics are taken with the HPS light on, so I took one with the light off (camera flash only) and someone noticed some of the leaves were bleached. its hard to see the yellow bleaching on the leaves in that yellow/orange light! however, I am lucky that I didn't have more issues, but then again 1500 wont kill em, it just wont let them grow to their potential. Budslinger confirmed this too. I had noticed that the flowers werent puffing up as fast as last time, and naughtydread noticed from my last journal i never kept the ppm over 1100. I asked around and found that even though GH recommended 1550 ppm, it shouldnt go over 900-1000. so I backed it off, and they responded almost immediately. also, my pH was dropping like crazy, now that i've backed it off, the pH has stabilized.

7. so, yesterday I moved the first 2 seeds to rockwool cubes that were presoaked in pH 5.3 distilled water and this morning I moved the 2nd 2 seeds into RW. I have them sitting in a small tray with a humidity dome over it, and sitting on heating mat. current humidity 80% and temp is 80F.

I expect them to sprout in the next 3-4 days. I'll keep them in the dark until they come above ground, then 24 hr. t5 high output flouro lighting.

8. the first 2 seeds that opened up are now sprouted above the surface! I turned off the heating mat, for now, because i turned on the flourescent lights and the temp was at 93f. after that it's back down to 80f and 75% humidity.

Attached Files:

9. how much did the floro cost you? I'd rather not buy one but it looks like I'll need one for the pre-veg stage, whatever it's called.

also, what's up with the sprout in the fourth pic? is that normal for it to bend like that?

10. [quote name='"RiskyBusiness"']how much did the floro cost you? I'd rather not buy one but it looks like I'll need one for the pre-veg stage, whatever it's called.

also, what's up with the sprout in the fourth pic? is that normal for it to bend like that?[/quote]

I have a 4 ft t5 4 bulb that I picked up for about $129. there are probably much cheaper options. I was originally using it to veg the whole way, but now I just use em for clones and seedlings. I think you could find a 2 ft. 4 bulb setup for $50

11. oh, and yeah that's normal for the seedling as it sheds the seed and the cotyledons emerge

12. do you have to use t5s or cfls when they're that young? will an hps light kill them?

13. #13 dangerousD, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2011
    I think HPS would work if no other option, but cfl would be better at this young fragile stage. just have to be careful not to kill them with the HPS, it's pretty intense light for a little girl

14. Subscribed .
    I am interested to compare growth of your JH to mine.
    Good luck .:wave:

15. Thanks RO, I have been diligently reading over your journal for tips and tricks. one question I have for you, how did you get that mold that you lost some of your crop to? how high was your humidity? I've been trying to keep things under 55% humidity, and it's got pretty good airflow, but as soon as I read about your mold, I got a 400 cfm exhaust out of fear. I do have 2 pretty powerful oscillating fans in there too.

how was the smoke on that JH? I'm looking for an energetic buzz this time around, as the NL knocks me the fuck out like red got knocked out by Deebo in Friday, hah.

16. so 2 of the 4 seeds didn't pop. they had a small tap root coming out when I put them in the rockwool, but they never came above surface, so I opened up the rockwool and found the seeds in the exact same state as when I put them in there. So, I pulled them out and tried putting them back in the wet papertowel. they're most likely lost causes, but I figured I'd try. Not happy about that, so I'll take that 5th seed and germinate it tonight, so I'll have 3 plants. one of them will probably be a mother that I will take clones from, but not sure yet.

17. #17 RO76, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2011
    I had my humidity by the end of the flowering period in high 40's, mid 50's I think that was the reason for mold growing inside of biggest buds. I think if you keep your humidity (starting mid of flowering period ) 40 and below you should be able to avoid mold .
    I had a very powerful 16" fan blowing (moving) air in the tent, but it was located at the buttom of the tent, it might also played role in mold formation . I lost around 2 oz to mold(only 8 grams of it was from JH, rest from WW), but used those buds to make canna butter for cookies(1 lb) . I figured that mold can not survive in simmering water/butter solution for 8-10 hours. Cookies are so powerful so if you take two , extremely intense high will last for about 12 hours ,if you take one you feel very good, I would say perfect.
    I like JH(much better than WW), high is very energetic(one of my friends even ask me if it is lased :) ), you do not want to sit around,head is almost clear ,takes about 2-3 poofs to feel full power of it ....(I left more detailed report in my journal ).:wave:

18. wow, I don't think I can keep my humidity that low. I am at 55% right now with a small dehumidifier and the air in my basement is around 60%. I hope I can avoid mold, but I haven't had issues with it in my first 3 grows. did the mold come before or after harvest?

19. I noticed mold at the end of the drying process . There is a good chance that air circulation on the buds level was not good enough ? The next time I make sure that I have couple of small fans blowing at the top part of the plants . Only biggest buds got affected.

20. damn sucks about the beans not popping...had similar experiences with nirvana...bad germ rate and then a mutated moldy monster...hope you dont have the same problems...how are the other 2 doing?