Dusty VS Root rot-ROUND 3-Never give up!

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by Dustybowlz, Sep 18, 2011.

1. #1 Dustybowlz, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
    Some of you have seen my 1600w journal. BUT, it goes to show that even with a perfect environment, you cant buy a green thumb! This hobby is MUCH more difficult then I ever expected.

Well the root rot/ brown slime algae is my main enemy, its causing small root growth, poor uptake, wilting, mg def and unstable ph flux.

I think my using House and Garden roots excel in my cloner is the culprit. I am going to start a round of it and hope it isnt there this next round. BUT im at wk 3 in veg right now.

Heres my sick ladies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres my root system. The main root system has been battling the rot/brown slime, I have been using compost tea to combat it. You can see the new roots coming from the net pot. These just formed days ago, the day after I added compost tea for the first time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Im told the brown gunk thats visable on the roots, just above the root ball is what is called "after slime". I have never had just nasty gel looking gunk. The center of the root ball is full of this nasty junk. It really is dark inside the root ball but you cant see it from the photos. But ill give the bennes a few more days. On my next flush I am going to fill up a spray bottle and hose it all off and inoculate a new batch of bennes at the "eradication amounts". Maybe?

Feeding schedule
    -Using AN nutes
    -wk3 veg
    -Sensi A/b grow @ 1/4 strength
    -b52 @ 1/4 strength
    -430ppms

Notes
    -wk1 and 2 I was using AN pirana and voodoo
    -I switched at the end of wk2 to h202 to steralize
    -I ran that for a day and a half until my compost tea was finished
    -I did a flush and inoculated the compost tea 4x days ago
    -Today I notice the brown is burried in the center of my root mass and up the main root system toward net pot.
    -The smallest, front center, I sprayed off the roots with phed h20 and resprayed with tea, I also added another cup of tea. This is a small test to see if the brown in center is rot/brown slime OR after slime or built up compost.
    -Plants look noticably better today. New growth doesnt show "curling at rams horn" but shows a bit of twisting.
    -I have been topping off with just phed RO NOT adding 1/8th well water for base. This is because im hoping that my ph issues were due to rot, and not a lack of a "ph buffer".
    -I am noticing that they look a little lime green on new growth. I suspect low ec.
    -I am ALSO noticing as the bennes are taking care of the rot, the plant is drinking more. Even at low ppms, I am seing some fan leaves "turn over" Normally this is a sign of too high an EC, right? Well I havent seen any burning or reversed cupping so im going to wait it out. As it still looks like it needs higher ec.

2. try GH....dont know much about AN...not slamming it...but damn!

3. Thanks! I want to switch but have soo much of this dammed AN...

I also think each cutting from unhealthy veg plants are leading to further issues.

I got 12 new strains to start with. One new one to replace all the current ones. Stupid 3 leafers...

4. Just conformed my rot is coming from my cloner..... then i have to battle it throughout the whole grow.

Time to find better cloning options.

As it sits, pythium is being bred in my cloner, allowed to eat, when it hits the net pot it colonizes and gains leverage. Im left to battle it and knock it down as much as possible.

5. its not the an i used both gh and an i like an more better yeild and you need to watch you water temps/ph every day water temps is the main cause of root rot or not eough air in buckets wash those roots with soft tooth bush and lots of water get all that shit off might stress them but better tthen them dieing i think bb are easy to setup and they get root rot real easy if i had to guess you got a light leak or its your water temps i got root rot in the bb or dwc trashed it and made a under current system never got root rot since

6. how much air you putting in buckets

7. should be eough to move the roots all over the place and the way your roots just hang straight down might be a air prob to i got so much air in my buckets my roots loop around each other and look like a big ball they never just hang down but i got 2 stone per bucket and 3 in control bucket

8. #8 Dustybowlz, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2011
    I have tried to wash in sink. I have stuff in my buckets, every round it shows it self the minute the roots touch the water. It only takes 2-3 days from the time i put them in veg. Every time. Just gave a friend a cutting, straight from cloner and instead of sectioning it off, he dropped it into his rdwc. Bam, instantly he had root rot. So my cloner is for sure culprit.

Ive tried h202 (recently found put it was too low of strength so im not sure if it even counts as a sterilization. Then i ran beneficial bacteria tea, am still running the tea, but with nutes.

I have new root growth but its poor.

I just added larger air stones.

Ive got a 60w pump for 6x 3g buckets.

Roots move all over and bounce. Ill add a t and multiple air stones to try?

My water temp is 69-73.

Im starting new clones now and starting another round to see whats up?

9. wash them the best you can let them air out in empty buckets then flush your system with bleach what i do i put a post up to see what the main cause is i know if you got a lot of movement in your buckets it fights the root o i didnt say dont use bleach if your plants in it that would = death for them

10. never want water temps in 70u want it lower then 70

11. i even keep my clones in colder water they just turn purple for few days then back to norm

12. try to keep stone in the middle of buckets to that helps move the roots around the more the move the better

13. Ya but it doesnt mske sense because i know 4x people running identical set ups with 72-75* water but using different nutes/additaves and have massive root balls and no issues period... wtf am i doing wrong?

14. are u having aany ph probs too

15. Hey Dusty, got your PM and figured I'd answer you here...
    This is just from recent past experience with AN, and clones from a EZ-Cloner...

Now that slime that builds in the cloner is the bad bacteria, so your baby roots is already infected, then you're transferring it over to your buckets...

The water temps in the buckets does not help too...
    You should be right around 62-66F, cooler temps can hold more O2 and as the temps gets higher it promotes bacteria growth..

Bacteria troubles would botch many an EZ-Clone batch even after I got them to root despite thoroughly bleaching everything between cycles. The EZ-Clone is a perfect nursery for bacteria!!!

In case you don't know EZ-Clone came out with a product called Clear-Rez to fight hydroponic bacteria. Now if you read the bottle, the active ingredient is chlorine!! Seems while fish can't tolerate chlorine, plants can handle levels high enough to prevent bacteria.

Now ONE gram of calcium hypochlorite (Pool Shock) dissolved in one gallon of water yields the same level of chlorine as the Clear-Rez.

Also, with AN, there is three products which use Beneficial Microbes..
    VooDoo Juice
    Piranha
    Tarantula

So this too will cause that slimy feeling on your hoses and buckets..
    I noticed during flowering when those three products were not being used, the slimy feeling on the hoses and within my reservoir went away... I did not have a root problem (when I got to see the roots) and assumed it was the Beneficial Microbes..

IMO your issue is in the EZ-Cloner...
    I personally would wash the cloner, tubes, and pump, then run some clearx, or floraclean through it...

Then when setting backup, use RO water mixing in 1 gram of Pool Shock per gallon of water (or just get Clear-Rez for $20 bucks)... That will solve your bacteria issue....

Also, depending on strain, usually it takes me 10-15 days to get good roots, around the 7-10 day mark, I change the cloner water... I do this believing that the fresh batch of chlorine helps wort off any bacteria before I transfer into it's growing medium...

Oh, and bacteria (which is causing the root rot) will cause a rapid PH swing as well...

Hope that helps.... :wave:

16. In veg- ph gas ALWAYS rissen, in 12 hours, from 5.3-5.5 to 5.9-6.0 (brown slime would do this).

In bloom it begins to drop and lead to transpiration issues. It will drop in 12 hours from 5.8-6.0 to 4.8-5.0!! (Pythium/root rot would do this).

I run RO because i question my well water. I live around farms and now worry about run off/ whats really in the water.

17. my power went off last night for about 10 hrs when lights should of been on so the pumps werent working either i got some slime on roots in that time i know its the being of root so i said fuck it and broke the garden hose out and sparyed off all the bad looking stuff didnt change out my soup and wash system out yet cause i broke my ppm/ph tester though it at wall so i have to wait and my ph went up in that time the power was off i still have the gh tester the drops for a back up so when my new tester gets here im going to spay off with hose again flush system with beach rinse it out 2 times and let my roots dry in buckets for 2 hours while im cleaning system thats what i do and it works every time and it doesnt come back for awhile if every i run the bleach though system for an hour filled to the top and i mean top that way you get everything out of the system try this to see if it helps mine dont stress it to much they still grow so cant be hurting them

18. I was using voodoo and pirana in veg. I was also useing voodoo and house and garden roots excel in my cloner. Im probably brewing anerobic tea :( ill try new cloning methods.....

19. Ya, like I say, that cloner method seems to be a breeding ground for bacteria and microbes...
    I just use water and pool shock...
    If anything you want to use B-52...
    The B vitamins promote root growth...

20. he is right dont know abut the shock but b52 good shit i use though hole grow